2006 C55: good buy?

OC

Eh guys,

well, I'm somewhat familiar with the car, especially powerplant and drivetrain, but I would need ownership input hopefully. My aunt is interested in one right now. I'm wondering why exactly, as she just sent me a link regarding it. Here is the particular one she wants:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...amp;cardist=122

I think this particular is awful, but overall, + and - on the car would be cool. She lives in Florida.

I'm tempted to make her wait for the IS-F, or perhaps advise a M3 or S4? She's usually a Bimmer girl (she's had 2 X5, still owns one of them, and a modded Z3).

Thanks!!

-Olivier

• 2 weeks later...

Yo Oliver,

If the image of the C is not an issue, then the C55 is a great car, very strong engine for a small saloon and great mid range grunt. The car also has an extended front borrowed from the CLK to make space for the V8.

First, the ad itself is funny: "TO BE HONEST WITH YOU, IT DRIVES BETTER AND I BELIEVE FASTER THAN A PORSCHE 911 TURBO..." :rolleyes: :lol: Faster? Maybe, just maybe the 1st & 2nd generation 911T, but from the 993 onwards...??!! And no way will it be a better drive than any 911T.

Second, of all the C-class AMGs --- C36, C43, C32 & C55 , I dislike the 55 the most. I had a C36 and enjoyed it for what it was. A friend had a C43, not too bad but also front-end heavy. The C32 was a bit of an odd ball (tried too hard to match the M3 of the same generation but failed). Lived with a C55 for 2 straight weeks one summer. IMO, it's too big of an engine, powerful yes but it's also very heavy which totally upsets the balance and handling dynamics of the car. Driven hard, the front of the C55 actually plows!

Depends how much of a "driver" your aunt is. If it's just traffic light dash & go, yes the car will give her bragging rights and almost "a wolf in sheep skin" feel. But if it's overall "spirited" driving that she likes, a M3 will be a lot better. Had she actually driven the car? I don't see how a Bimmer fan can stand the driving dynamics of a MB. And if she's after power, why stop at a S4, get the RS4.