Things that make you LOL!

RyanRo24

Haha thanks for that. I didn't mean that to be directed at you. I'm a huge space and science nerd I know the answer.

I was directing it at wheels who I presume was implying the question was stupid to have been asked. Especially when he was going to a site to ask a space question himself :/

On the topic Jupiter is an example of that, having what we suspect to be a core of molten 'metal' creating enough gravity to contain all of the surrounding gasses and numerous moons. I'm really excited to see what they learn from Juno :)

I am absolutely enthralled for Juno!

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if serious....

I didn't post the question, I said that someone else had posted it.

Is it really right to deride someone for such a question? Surely everything in life needs to be questioned, otherwise how does someone learn. That question could be from an 8 year old who is interested by space and is keen to learn. Irrespective of who it was from, surely is a legitimate question to some people? Not nearly as dumb as "who is married to Kim Kardashian" or whatever other meaningless crap people seem to consume themselves with these days?.

That's a good point.

Fair enough. Sorry. Sometimes I can't tell if people are trolling or being serious.

In that case... the sun is not a solid object. It's a giant ball of gas and plasma. Because of the amount of hydrogen gas present, it is constantly burning through and turning that into other elements like helium, which in turn becomes nucleosynthesis (think of a giant nuclear bomb burning at 5,800 degrees kelvin) which causes massive amounts of heat and the nuclear reactions on the surface and intense heat cause incredible magnetic fields which in turn are how we get things like solar flares. It's a continual process. Because of the elements and the heat, the gravity of it is equalized and does not collapse upon itself because there is nothing solid in itself to melt.

However, once the fuel of a star runs out, if the core of such a star turns into massive amounts of heavy elements like Iron, it can end up collapsing and going supernova, or, if the solar mass is big enough... collapse and turn into a black hole. Alternatively (and in our case), if the mass is not large enough it'll burn through everything it can until that energy is gone and then it will be left as either a white dwarf, brown dwarf, or something like a pulsar depending on materials.

In our case, as our sun runs out of hydrogen, it will actually get BIGGER, turning into a red giant. It isn't actually big enough to go supernova, so instead, it will just continue burning through all of the elements it has. It'll run out of hydrogen, and then end up burning up helium. It'll become bigger, and eventually gobble up venus, and possibly earth. Regardless, it'll be close enough and hot enough that earth will be cooked to a crisp. This will happen in about 3.5 billion years or so. At that point, it will end up having thermal pulses from the last of its fuel being burned up, and from the mass of the sun gradually declining. As it does this, the outer layers of gas will shed from the sun, and it will become a planetary nebula for a period of time.

That too will eventually dissipate as there is not enough mass for it to become a star forming nebula, and all that will be left is a cold, dead solar system where everything you loved is gone, dead, and cold. At that point the star will become a white dwarf, which is essentially compacted matter (which is from using up all of the final elements it needed to burn through on nucleosynthesis.) There is no fusion taking place and no crazy activity. There is only brightness remaining from the leftover thermal energy from draining its resources and shedding its layers.

So that's why the sun doesn't melt, and that's what happens to it.

This needs to be in the Things that make you say Damn thread, well done you've impressed me and depressed me at the same time LOL

Here is a small funny:

Question: What do geeks who are lovers say to each other?

Answer: "Talk nerdy to me."

This needs to be in the Things that make you say Damn thread, well done you've impressed me and depressed me at the same time LOL

You don't want me to get into universal entropy :lol2: it only gets worse.

You don't want me to get into universal entropy :lol2: it only gets worse.

It's inevitable

It's inevitable

Yep. Just thankfully while I'm not alive.

I have a friend that likes older women.

I made the mistake of asking him "What does a 60 year old woman taste like"

He replied.....

"Depends"

hahahahahahahaa i don't know why but the music just cracks me up while watching it packin' goats. :lol2:

The music sells it for sure.

I have a friend that likes older women.

I made the mistake of asking him "What does a 60 year old woman taste like"

He replied.....

"Depends"

That's why old ladies carry hard candy in their purse.

I know it's old but still makes me laugh every time. NSFW: language

Here's the whole build up. Such a great mini-arc from a great show :eusa_dance: