2002 aston vanquish

BITURBOAMG

any one owned an aston vanquish, whats the upkeep etc? Found a local 02 with 10k miles asking 116k is that good/bad etc. Car will be for my wife so any input would help. thanks

I test drove one several times, an 04 I believe before I purchased the Gallardo. 18 months ago when I was looking, an LA high end used car dealer was asking if I remember correctly $155k for the 04 with larger rims and it had $4k miles on it. The car was a 10 condition wise.

Astons of that era have the WORST E GEAR style transmissions. It was impossile to drive it smoothly or quickly. The gearbox was really slow and wouldn't downshift on command. It's for your wife so that may not matter. Other negatives, its a parts bins car using both Jaguar and Volvos bits. The center console is straight out of a similar vintage Jaguar XK8.

Positives would be you have probably weathered the worst of the depreciation. It is got to be the cheapest $250k when new 2002 car on the market. They look great, very rare, great exhaust sound and they are relatively practical with a large interior and a useful trunk.

The later ones seem to have a much nicer interior that is similar to the new DB9.

I think early Bentley Continental GT Coupes are in the $120-$130's, have you thought of those?

any one owned an aston vanquish, whats the upkeep etc? Found a local 02 with 10k miles asking 116k is that good/bad etc. Car will be for my wife so any input would help. thanks

When I was looking to get one I opted for the V8 vantage, which I sold last year. I actually spoke to abolfaz who had a vanquish and a DB9 I believe. He said to stay away from them. They were a maintenance nightmare on the V-12's and if I were to decide to still get one to make sure it was under warranty still. I ended up getting vantage and loved it but sold it 7 months later cause they were dropping like rocks. I ended up getting out of it for close to what I paid for it and drove it for 7 months. Shortly after that they were selling for 5 to 10k less. ANY aston I believe has the worst depreciation on the market for a high end car. The only psotive here IMO would be that you've got a car that has taken its beating for the most part, but I'd stay away unless you have to have the car.

I LOVE the new DBS and I'm hopeing with the new ownership and new products (Rapide) that the newer aston's will start to hold thier value better but I won't be getting either the rapide or the DBS until I see what the market does to them.

I test drove one several times, an 04 I believe before I purchased the Gallardo. 18 months ago when I was looking, an LA high end used car dealer was asking if I remember correctly $155k for the 04 with larger rims and it had $4k miles on it. The car was a 10 condition wise.

Astons of that era have the WORST E GEAR style transmissions. It was impossile to drive it smoothly or quickly. The gearbox was really slow and wouldn't downshift on command. It's for your wife so that may not matter. Other negatives, its a parts bins car using both Jaguar and Volvos bits. The center console is straight out of a similar vintage Jaguar XK8.

Positives would be you have probably weathered the worst of the depreciation. It is got to be the cheapest $250k when new 2002 car on the market. They look great, very rare, great exhaust sound and they are relatively practical with a large interior and a useful trunk.

The later ones seem to have a much nicer interior that is similar to the new DB9.

I think early Bentley Continental GT Coupes are in the $120-$130's, have you thought of those?

Most cars these days do not have bespoke parts, so you need to get over it already. And that console is not even close to a 02 Jag xk8. And calling it a parts been car is ludicrous. It shares a few bits here and there, big deal. So do most cars.

The AM depreciation is LEGENDARY! The wings on the logo should be upside down its that bad! Besides the ford/lincoln/volvo parts, dont forget the Mazda parts! The tranny is a regular manual tranny (same as on the viper I think) with THE WORST ELECTRO HYDRAULIC shifting mechanism running it. AWFUL! There is a kit to remove that junk and turn the car into a true manual transmission car, but why go through the effort? I wouldn't pay that much of the "old" style aston (pre db9).

Most cars these days do not have bespoke parts, so you need to get over it already. And that console is not even close to a 02 Jag xk8. And calling it a parts been car is ludicrous. It shares a few bits here and there, big deal. So do most cars.

I owned and I am not proud to admit (drug binge in OK) an XK8. The Aston's interior is all Jag. It has two ford mondeos under the hood as well. The DB7 was an Xjs in drag........

I know the gallardo has an Audi interior. Audi makes some of the best interiors going, Jaguar interiors of this era have an unfortunate Kia feel about them. I read articles when this car came out that it was delayed due to this specific issue. Who wants to spend $250 in 2002 on a Jag dash.

Aston put a manual in the Vantage S, the model's final harrah. I agree with the last post, the DB9 was Aston's turning point. Their first truely good car since the DB4.

Think of it this way....its a really pretty Lexus SC400, with 3X maintenance costs.