08 Viper[bonestock] vs 07 Z06[487whp]

Snakebitten

Try driving one sometime, this whole misconception that vipers don't handle well is complete bullshit. You just have to have the balls to handle the car.

dont get me wrong, for the money its a great car. I had a 05 with a DLM s/c kit 700hp... but to say the car handles better then a G-SL come on :eusa_wall: ... and yes I have driven both cars..

dont get me wrong, for the money its a great car. I had a 05 with a DLM s/c kit 700hp... but to say the car handles better then a G-SL come on :eusa_wall: ... and yes I have driven both cars..

It may not handle as well, thinking steering alone. But given the weight difference (negligable) and the power difference (viper with 70+ hp 530 to 600, and probably over 200fpt), I can see the viper doing quite well against a G-SL on some road courses. Other courses, not so much. It is all about the track and track conditions as to which car will win. A shorter track with tighter turns, the G-SL walks the viper. A sweeping high speed track with long straights, I see the viper being faster.

Don't forget the '05 Viper and the '08 Viper are considered two different generations. SRT did more than increase the horsepower of the '08 Viper. They have also refined the handling. Also, the ACR aero improvements will only enhance its handling over the standard Viper. It's a different car in the same wrapper.

I love the Viper for the money, in fact there is nothing else i would rather have for less then 100k..

But to compare a SRT-10 to a G-SL is like comparing a Casio to a Rolex.

Don't forget the '05 Viper and the '08 Viper are considered two different generations. SRT did more than increase the horsepower of the '08 Viper. They have also refined the handling. Also, the ACR aero improvements will only enhance its handling over the standard Viper. It's a different car in the same wrapper.

I thought the main difference was 100hp, spring rate, and some minor body work.. now I do realize the ACR model has a ton of aero improvements..

I love the Viper for the money, in fact there is nothing else i would rather have for less then 100k..

The 2 cars you cannot compare in regards to look or feel, but as steveh said, if it is a track with long straights, the G doesnt stand a chance against the new model ACR Viper. A tight twisty track, the GSL will edge it out. The new model ACR Viper is almost as close as you can get to a full blown track car for the street. IIRC, they even offer a no A/C option. No A/C In a Viper-no thank you. :icon_mrgreen:

You're right. They are in two different leagues in terms of fit and finish. However, I did not reference the article to compare the Viper to the Gallardo or 911s. I posted to show that the '08 Viper is capable of turning fast laps on a road course. For some reason many believe it is simply a straight line car.

The 2 cars you cannot compare in regards to look or feel, but as steveh said, if it is a track with long straights, the G doesnt stand a chance against the new model ACR Viper. A tight twisty track, the GSL will edge it out. The new model ACR Viper is almost as close as you can get to a full blown track car for the street. IIRC, they even offer a no A/C option. No A/C In a Viper-no thank you. :icon_mrgreen:

I am with you , but isnt the 08' Viper SRT-10 and the 08' Viper ACR 2 different models? Like the Regular 08' Gallardo and the 08' Gallardo SL...

and yes I have heard great things about the new ACR model, are they out on the street yet?

I am with you , but isnt the 08' Viper SRT-10 and the 08' Viper ACR 2 different models? Like the Regular 08' Gallardo and the 08' Gallardo SL...

and yes I have heard great things about the new ACR model, are they out on the street yet?

Correct, but the magazine article was the ACR that had the fastest lap times over the SL and standard G. I believe if the ACR is not out, it will be within a month or 2.

Actually on that track the regular 08' Viper was quicker than the G-SL.. the ACR was in another zip code.

I'm sure the G is a much more refined car that is on a much high scale of build fit and finish. But flat out on a race track I don't see it walking away from a regular 08' viper.

Just the fact that the vipers are making over 600 to the wheels with nothing but an exhaust/header change means they are going to be breaking a lot of hearts on the racetrack.

Vipers Dominated the racing scene before GM started to. I think Viper get their "bad handling" from the fact that its steering is considered numb. But with flintstone rubber on all 4 corners the lateral grip more than makes up for any short comings in feel. Not to mention the low end tourqe coming out of those corners.

Who considered the Viper steering "numb"?

The SRT-10 Viper has one of the most responsive steering feels I have ever experienced, and I have driven a lot of cars (Gallardo's, Plastic mess-06's, NSX's, etc.)

Lots of misconceptions on the Viper in this thread. "Bad Handling", "numb steering" etc. Cheap interior, low rent fit and finish especially for its price etc, yes but its performance cant be denied.

Perfect analogy, the Casio is cheaper and runs much better! :icon_mrgreen:

I am quite sure the viper is capable of impressive lap times, though I doubt the driver is having much fun, the tires alone will make it a force to be reckoned with, that said, a regular driver who has no true racing experience would probably be alot faster in the lambo as it is far more refined, more confidence inspiring and alltogether easier to go fast in.