11 SECOND GRAND NATIONAL ON THE WAY!

VegasSE

Congrats, VegasSE!

The Grand National is one of those rare cars that only a true car enthusiast could love....combining a Buick with a turbo, auto trans, with the exclusivity and tremendous potential and you have a sick car.

One thing I noticed about the G/Ns is that they have tremendous torque but rather soft HP (stock that is)....what is it, 245hp, 360lb-ft stock?

Slow trap speeds, but good ETs....

What are we aiming for RWHP/TORQUE? Will you keep the transmission somewhat streetable or will this be a dragstrip only car?

BTW, one of the most famous IASCA winning sound competition cars was a Grand National:

http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/

The sound quality and install is still impressive by today's standards.

Congrats, VegasSE!

The Grand National is one of those rare cars that only a true car enthusiast could love....combining a Buick with a turbo, auto trans, with the exclusivity and tremendous potential and you have a sick car.

One thing I noticed about the G/Ns is that they have tremendous torque but rather soft HP (stock that is)....what is it, 245hp, 360lb-ft stock?

Slow trap speeds, but good ETs....

What are we aiming for RWHP/TORQUE? Will you keep the transmission somewhat streetable or will this be a dragstrip only car?

BTW, one of the most famous IASCA winning sound competition cars was a Grand National:

http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/

The sound quality and install is still impressive by today's standards.

You are right on the power. I have an 86 which has around 600whp, and then an 87 that is more like 400ish, pretty close to stock. The 1987 is going to get completely redone. Mini-tub, full race suspension, cage, all aluminum Buick Stage 2 motor, turbo 400 trans, XFI system, etc.......It will be a street car capable of running high 8's. It's going to be my highest HP street car that I own. I figure 1200ish rwhp. The 86, I think I'm going to leave the way it is, change the gauges, rims, and basically leave it as a fun street car that I can drive anywhere on pump gas if I choose to.

Very cool Vegas. You are truly a car guy. There is something special about the GN. It's ugly as F, but it still has the charm, and the power. Congrats on the nice cars in your stable :)

Very Nice Clean Car Todd !!!!!!!!!

Congrats !!!

I'll certainly update as they turn into project cars and get on the streets. :D

Love those GN's. Great choice. Now you have a 80's, 90's, 00's Supercars lol. NICE. A guy around here had one black on black. Perfect stance with wide, but not too wide rears. Thing was nasty and used to eat up alot of Porsches, Supras etc back in the day. Funny how 11's used to be ungodly fast in early 90's lol. As usual bro pics and vids asap :icon_mrgreen:

Love those GN's. Great choice. Now you have a 80's, 90's, 00's Supercars lol. NICE. A guy around here had one black on black. Perfect stance with wide, but not too wide rears. Thing was nasty and used to eat up alot of Porsches, Supras etc back in the day. Funny how 11's used to be ungodly fast in early 90's lol. As usual bro pics and vids asap :icon_mrgreen:

I bought a pair of them. One will be a full out Stage II GN with the mini tub, turbo 400, Fast XFI, redone suspension, cage, etc......I still want it to be a street car though. 1000+rwhp is easy with these cars and the torque is actually BIG unlike the Supra and Gallardo that put down 800ish torque with over 1000whp. The GN will put down OVER 1000ft/lbs at 1000whp. So for the street, it's actually going to be a better car and not so much of a highway monster that the Supra is. I may or may not do a full out drag car, but I'm thinking of doing a GNX conversion on the 87 or I might go all out. I haven't completely decided yet, but I KNOW I want another 1000whp car for the street. :D

Always loved the muscle Buicks- i went to the Buick GS nationals last may here in Bowling Green (they have 'em every year) and it was pretty amazing- there was some serious power there. here some pics

post-2531-1206582552_thumb.jpg

post-2531-1206582651_thumb.jpg

post-2531-1206582709_thumb.jpg

post-2531-1206582740_thumb.jpg

post-2531-1206582794_thumb.jpg

post-2531-1206582829_thumb.jpg

post-2531-1206582865_thumb.jpg

post-2531-1206582898_thumb.jpg

Broken Axle, at first when he launched off the line we heard a bang and just saw shards fly out from underneath, we all thought it was the turbo and everyone kinda groaned, but "luckily" it was just the axle.

Always loved the muscle Buicks- i went to the Buick GS nationals last may here in Bowling Green (they have 'em every year) and it was pretty amazing- there was some serious power there. here some pics

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

Broken Axle, at first when he launched off the line we heard a bang and just saw shards fly out from underneath, we all thought it was the turbo and everyone kinda groaned, but "luckily" it was just the axle.

Some good launch shots there!! The thing about the GN's is that they make huge TORQUE, unlike our lambos. Even my Gallardo at 1016whp made just UNDER 800ft/lbs of torque. I expect the GN at 1000rwhp will make around 1200ft/lbs torque. They really are more Viper like in terms of the torque they make.

^Ha, thanks- it's pretty hard to get the launch/wheelstand at it's peak, i was either too quick or too slow.

I know what you mean about buick torque, i've got a 401 nailhead out of a '64 Riviera that i want to find a cool 40's or 50's sled to put it in- was originally going to fix up the Riviera, but the floorpan was entirely gone and decided it would be too much effort/money to bring it back so i sold the body and kept the engine and tranny. Anyway, the 401 is factory rated at 365 hp, 445 torque. I picked up an Offenhauser aluminum intake manifold for it a while back, built for three two barrel carbs- gotta love the six pack.

^Ha, thanks- it's pretty hard to get the launch/wheelstand at it's peak, i was either too quick or too slow.

I know what you mean about buick torque, i've got a 401 nailhead out of a '64 Riviera that i want to find a cool 40's or 50's sled to put it in- was originally going to fix up the Riviera, but the floorpan was entirely gone and decided it would be too much effort/money to bring it back so i sold the body and kept the engine and tranny. Anyway, the 401 is factory rated at 365 hp, 445 torque. I picked up an Offenhauser aluminum intake manifold for it a while back, built for three two barrel carbs- gotta love the six pack.

Good stuff. I, like you, am just a "car guy". I like exotics, imports, muscle cars, etc......If it's a great CAR then I will appreciate it. :D

Good stuff. I, like you, am just a "car guy". I like exotics, imports, muscle cars, etc......If it's a great CAR then I will appreciate it. :D

Cool indeed.

^ Yeah, for sure VegasSE, I can even appreciate a cool "ricer/import/whatever" as long as it's done cool (aka no stupid wings and kits). I am into performance cars of every era, from the 1911 Mercer raceabout, to the 1932 Deusenburg SJ (which had an inline 8 engine which was supercharged, had four valves per cylinder, dual overhead camshafts and hydraulic brakes, could do over 100 mph), and so forth. I grew up more of a muscle car kid, but eventually came to appreciate all cars.

^ Yeah, for sure VegasSE, I can even appreciate a cool "ricer/import/whatever" as long as it's done cool (aka no stupid wings and kits). I am into performance cars of every era, from the 1911 Mercer raceabout, to the 1932 Deusenburg SJ (which had an inline 8 engine which was supercharged, had four valves per cylinder, dual overhead camshafts and hydraulic brakes, could do over 100 mph), and so forth. I grew up more of a muscle car kid, but eventually came to appreciate all cars.

That goes a little deep for me. :P My appreciation of the car pretty much goes back to the early Muscle cars of the 60's and extends forward. I actually owned a built 64 Chevy II. I should never have sold that car. I miss it constantly. Could be the next project. :P

oh man, yeah should've hung on to that one!

A clean 64 SS is not easy to find these days. I'll buy another 60's car one some time and a 70 Chevelle at some point as well. Slowly putting together the one car I REALLY want from each decade. I'd really like to have every decade represented. I have specific wants for the years of the car like the 97 anniversary Supra, 86 first intercooled GN which was FAR more limited production than the 87, the 06 gallardo Special Edition, which I own all of at this point in time. I just want the one car I like best from the last 5 decades. :D

63 corrrrrvette Split Window (First year of the coupe)

70 Chevelle SS

86 Grand National (1st Intercooled Year)

97 TT Supra (15th Anniversary)

06 Gallardo (SE)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are two of my GN's being loaded on the trailer. One more on the way. ;)

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/ve...986GNfromNY.flv

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/ve...othetrailer.flv

And here is a picture of my PERFECT 1986 Boyd Motorsport Grand National with the transporter Gary Almond next to it.

86GN.jpg

Anyway, here a few pics of the 1986 as it arrived to me. I cleaned up up pretty nice, clay, polish, nice wax....etc.....all but the purple tint, which thankfully will be off the car tomorrow at 8am. :P It will be getting..........

New Turbo

Bigger Injectors

Upgraded Fuel Pump

New Turbo Tweak Chip

New Rims + Tires

Frame Notch + Mini tub

Tinted windows

Smoked Tails

Smoked Side markers

.........all in the next 10 days. I will take more pictures then. You see the 87 in the background, but it's still dirty and it's going into storage for a bit until I can finish this one, then I will take the 87 to get painted. Interior and engine are outstanding, but it needs to be painted.

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

The neighbors must be confused as hell...RR, Gallardo, Supra...then 2 80s Buicks!?!? :lol2: :lol2:

-Olivier

The neighbors must be confused as hell...RR, Gallardo, Supra...then 2 80s Buicks!?!? :lol2: :lol2:

-Olivier

:lol: Well they won't be my neighbors for but another 6-8 months, so I don't really care. :P

Here is the first stage of mods, which is basically window tints, marker and tail light blackouts as well as a couple minor interior pieces. I will update as I go along. More stuff coming next week.

2phase1.jpg

2phase2.jpg

2phase3.jpg

2phase4.jpg

2phase5.jpg

2phase6.jpg

2phase7.jpg

2phase8.jpg

2phase9.jpg

A clean 64 SS is not easy to find these days. I'll buy another 60's car one some time and a 70 Chevelle at some point as well. Slowly putting together the one car I REALLY want from each decade. I'd really like to have every decade represented. I have specific wants for the years of the car like the 97 anniversary Supra, 86 first intercooled GN which was FAR more limited production than the 87, the 06 gallardo Special Edition, which I own all of at this point in time. I just want the one car I like best from the last 5 decades. :D

63 corrrrrvette Split Window (First year of the coupe)

70 Chevelle SS

86 Grand National (1st Intercooled Year)

97 TT Supra (15th Anniversary)

06 Gallardo (SE)

My father has a 70 Chevelle SS Convertible and a 64 corrrrrvette Convertible. Nice cars.