The Official LP Book Thread

EpDarks

This thread has been approved by RomanDad

I would like to volunteer my time in an effort to consolidate a list of excellent books. I will sort all of the suggested books into this first post using a standard format. I'm open to formating suggestions, but for now see below for the current format.

-Username-

Book Title (Year) [link to purchase book]

-a short review here

EX:

EpDarks

Freakonomics (2006) Purchase

-A fun and quick read about some obscure economic issues.

Members are not expected to post their book in the above format, I will be happy to format myself. I will search through some older book threads to get the ball rolling, but I think we're overdue for a new thread anyway.

I'm open for ideas so please speak up. Thanks everyone,

Almost forgot... books will be posted below. Please use amazon.com for links if possible.

Dan

bestman06

The Devil in the White City (2004) Purchase

The BEST book i ever had to read for school. It has two plots. One covering the 1893 World's fair and the other about a murderer who lured women from the fair and killed them. Insanely fascinating about what went into the World's Fair; including the very first Ferris Wheel and the overly extravagent architecture built for the fair.

EpDarks

Freakonomics (2006) Purchase

-A fun and quick read about some obscure economic issues.

Teufel657

Do the Right Thing Purchase

-Story written by the CEO of Southwest Airlines during 9/11, and how they still turned a profit through their loyal employees, and treating customers as they should. Very quick and easy read as well.

WheelsRCool

The Undercover Economist Purchase

Freedonomics Purchase

Teufel657

Do the Right Thing (Purchase)

-Story written by the CEO of Southwest Airlines during 9/11, and how they still turned a profit through their loyal employees, and treating customers as they should. Very quick and easy read as well.

Thanks for reviving this we had a similar one before the crash and i never got time to read some of those books.

bestman06

The Devil in the White City (2004) Purchase

The BEST book i ever had to read for school. It has two plots. One covering the 1893 World's fair and the other about a murderer who lured women from the fair and killed them. Insanely fascinating about what went into the World's Fair; including the very first Ferris Wheel and the overly extravagent architecture built for the fair.

I am currently working on an autobiography by Lou Holtz which will probably find its way up here.

• 1 year later...

I want to become succesfull entrepreneur. Before that I would like to make my self reading 5-10 books before going closer realising this dream.

What books would you suggest from your own experience.

It can be anything which positively fcuks my brain.

So that after reading and thinking I have more knowledge, more skills, more attitude or determination to start or more realistic view to my entrepreneural dream.

I would really like to hear atleast some from RomanDad and Skokos, but everything from anyone is respected gratefully. I trust Lambo Power.

tnx

- Erik

I cannot speak from any experience yet, but I can tell you books recommended by other experienced people:

The E-Myth

The E-Myth Mastery

(both by Michael Gerber)

The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding

The Origin of Brands

(both by Al and Laura Ries)

"How to Get Rich" by Felix Dennis (Dennis is a completely self-made guy, the founder of Maxim :) and he isn't some guru but the real deal and he gives you his honest advice on business and such in the book, very no-nonsense).

• 3 weeks later...

The Upside: The 7 Strategies for Turning Big Threats into Growth Breakthroughs

and

The Profit Zone: How Strategic Business Design Will Lead You to Tomorrow's Profits

both by Adrian Slywotzky. If you already own a company, definitely recommended.

If you don't own your own company, here are the books I feel made the biggest difference for me:

The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Human Intelligence -- helped me think logically and be forward thinking)

Economics for Real People -- understanding money and markets

Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition -- cheesy title, but helped me think out of the box.

I read all of those books when I was piss broke. Don't read the third one until you actually have a business to apply it to or you are wasting your time.

Thousand thanks Elric and Wheels, I will try find and read some of those asap! It is time to acquire a new library card!

I do not have my own business yet, my friend just started his own webshop/site building business.

I would like to somehow turning my photoshop skills at least partially in to business. propably doing some design with my friends.

I still have lot of processing to do how to start and I must start so that I keep my job as well... but doing something as low as I do in long run is pointless money vise so I need to start my own thing!

• 6 years later...

Just got around to reading Peter Theil's Zero to One. Great book! Gonna have to buy a hard copy for the library at home, for sure.

• 10 months later...

I remember someone mentioning Phil Knight Shoe Dog on this forum I finished it tonight. Amazing book, one of the best I've read in a long time. I couldn't put it down. Good info in there for anyone. Love how business relates to sports. Very true.

And if you're an NBA fan like I am,. Read rise of Steph Curry and return of the king back to back. It will get you pumped up. Can't believe a book about LeBron made me dislike him even more lol. But in all honesty, return of the king is better written and more enjoyable to read.

"Unscripted: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship"

Author - MJ DeMarco (our own PhoenixMJ here on LP).

https://www.amazon.com/UNSCRIPTED-Life-Libe...pted+mj+demarco

As huge fans of MJ's first best-selling book (The Millionaire Fastlane), both my Wife and I had been looking forward to reading this one since the first time it was mentioned on his forum (when he hinted that another book might eventually be on the horizon). Unscripted is about realizing that the "mold" that society begins pouring and pressuring you into from a very early age is NOT the only road. Its about realizing that "ordinary thinking" is what leads people to live very safe, "boring" lives, where they let their dreams die because they become too paralyzed with fear to pursue them.

After reading 100's of entrepreneurial/business books over the years including biographies, autobiographies, mindset, motivation, inspiration, finances, investing, etc, I can say that I have never read another book like this. I was fortunate enough to be one of the few who received a pre-release copy of this book, and it surpassed my expectations in every way. Dare I say, it is even better than his first book, and (after a tough start to the year at work), it was THE kick-in-the-pants I needed to remind myself that life as a Monday through Friday, 8-5 Government employee is NOT the way my story will end. It was actually just released earlier this week on the 23rd, and I can say with confidence this one WILL be another best-seller.

Buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Currently reading and listening to Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin.

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Ownership-U-...treme+ownership

It is a interesting blend of stories from the battle field, and how lessons learned in training/combat relate to real life examples in business.

One of the executives at the company I work for recommended it and so far it hasn't disappointed. It is the first book I have ever downloaded the audio version and I am really enjoying it. Far better use of my commute than listening to music or sports radio, and since the authors (retired NAVY SEALs) are reading the book in the audio version, it adds to the authenticity of the stories told.