2010 Arnage T with Veyron W16 under consideration

Mako

Auto Express

Text: Mark Nichol / Photos: Falk Schneider

They're well ahead of the game at Bentley! Engineers are already busy working on a new Arnage – and we have caught a test mule for the flagship model driving through the firm’s home town of Crewe, Cheshire. Although the next-generation saloon isn’t scheduled to appear on the road until 2010, top brass within the VW Group are keen for it to be a true Rolls-Royce beater, so the development programme is underway.

Our exclusive pictures prove that the new Arnage will be even bigger than the model it’s set to replace. Look closely at the centre of the car, and you can clearly see the B-pillar has been widened – an indication that the wheelbase has grown.

The increased length will ensure the new range-topper provides limousine levels of space inside. And for the first time ever, bosses are considering the possibility of using a diesel in the Arnage. Bentley’s parent company Audi has a rich heritage of oil-burners, so the options would include the V12 TDI fitted to the Audi R8 (driven in Issue 1,006).

The idea of a Bentley running on derv has traditionally been regarded as taboo, but strict EU emissions laws are forcing the brand to rethink its ‘no diesel’ stance. And an oil-burner would sit well with its reputation for torquey engines and lazy power delivery.

In addition, rumour has it that the W16 engine from the Bugatti Veyron supercar is also under consideration for the big Bentley. It would be most suited to the range-topping Arnage T model, and have enough power to propel the four-door from 0-62mph in well under five seconds. Don’t be surprised to see VW’s new seven-speed DSG gearbox offered, either. It would ensure the perfect blend of refinement and performance.

Inside, the Arnage’s classic luxury design would remain, with a trademark wooden dashboard, deep-pile carpets and leather upholstery. Buyers will also be able to take their pick from the usual array of lavish optional extras to personalise their car – these range from bespoke wood capping to unique colour combinations.

Expect prices for the new Arnage to start from around £180,000, and rise to in excess of £200,000 for the W16-engined Arnage T version.

Arnage_01.jpg

Arnage_02.jpg

Wouldnt all the cooling issues with the W16 come into play that delayed the Veyron SO long. Doesnt the Veyron have like 8 intercoolers or radiators and not to mention it has no engine cover. They going to make the Arnage like a dragster with a big open hood?!

Its got 540hp already for this year...it'll be a lot more than that for an engine swap....shame, then it will genuinely be no longer a bentley.

12 cylinders isn't enough anymore?

I understand it in the Veyron, but there's no good reason to have the motor in an Arnage. If you really need more power, TT the thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice job dragvorl. :icon_thumleft:

Looks as awful as the RR Ghost. Just horrible. What the hell is going on with these design teams? Are they blind?

Nice job dragvorl. :icon_thumleft:

Looks as awful as the RR Ghost. Just horrible. What the hell is going on with these design teams? Are they blind?

What design teams? The fcuking thing's looked the same for the past 11 years. Like the 911, every year it gets a little smoother and curvier, nothing special here.

i have had both the bentley and the phantom and i will say the phantom is still a better car to be driven in and driven, even if it were to lack 400hp+

This is all false. It will be a lighter V8 with cylinder deactivation and bio fuel capable. I've seen the car in person at the factory.

This is all false. It will be a lighter V8 with cylinder deactivation and bio fuel capable. I've seen the car in person at the factory.

Check the date on the original post, over a year old now.

Since you're giving very specific details can you address the car's controversial front end...is it legit? Please tell us it's not, or at least something like "Don't worry guys it's look INCREDIBLE in person even though the pics are defiitely scary" haha. :icon_thumleft:

Check the date on the original post, over a year old now.

Since you're giving very specific details can you address the car's controversial front end...is it legit? Please tell us it's not, or at least something like "Don't worry guys it's look INCREDIBLE in person even though the pics are defiitely scary" haha. :icon_thumleft:

I know the original post was old, but I just wanted to clear up the recent comments.

Looks legit. BUT......"Don't worry guys, it looks INCREDIBLE in person!" :icon_thumleft:

I know the original post was old, but I just wanted to clear up the recent comments.

Looks legit. BUT......"Don't worry guys, it looks INCREDIBLE in person!" :icon_thumleft:

Haha good enough for me, hopefully we'll see it soon. :icon_super:

It looks like it is smiling at you. IMO they should have placed the larger lights to the outside, and the smaller on the inside with the bottom grille blacked out.