SLR over a LP640 or CGT ?

Jonny5

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness to the SLR Jonny, a guy I know here in NYC bought about 13 cars in 8 months from Mark Solomon, including 2 brand new LP640s. Got bored and out of them within weeks, traded in 2 Bentley Speeds for an SLR about a month or so ago and says couldn't be happier with the car and is a keeper. He daily drives it in the Wall st. area in Manhattan if that says anything about the usability of the car in a congested city.

You think that guy is playing with a full deck. I like all of them all and wish is was in a financial position to own them all. The CGT scares me because it is very unforgiving at the limit. The SLR is an incredible car in the right hands.The LP is just plain automotive art. Three great pieces of automotive technology!!

[source: Bloomberg]

New McLaren supercar expected for 2010

Posted May 9th 2008 10:13AM by Jeremy Korzeniewski

Filed under: Supercars, Mercedes Benz, Rendered Speculation, Rumormill

With the mostly unloved Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren set to get the official axe in 2009, the path is clear for the next McLaren-branded supercar to be unveiled. Expected to be built at its facility in Woking, England, McLaren has plans for the as-yet-unnamed vehicle to compete with Ferrari's incredible F430. Rumored to be powered by a 550-horsepower V8 engine featuring a basic design snagged from Mercedes and built by Mahle (that of the former Cosworth tuning fame), the power-to-weight ratio should handily outdo that of the Prancing Horse. Shortly after the new coupe codenamed P11 is unveiled, a convertible version is also expected.

True hardcore McLaren enthusiasts should mark 2012 as the year that McLaren returns to form with a proper replacement for its awe-inspiring F1 of a few years back. Powered by a lightweight version of the P11 architecture, this car codenamed the P12 is expected to be powered by a V10 engine with over 600 horsepower. The waiting list will likely start right... about... now.

I can't justify the meteoric rise in price on these cars

The reason for this is because some have been wrecked and many are heading back home over the big pond and shall never come back the North America.

[source: Bloomberg]

New McLaren supercar expected for 2010

Posted May 9th 2008 10:13AM by Jeremy Korzeniewski

Filed under: Supercars, Mercedes Benz, Rendered Speculation, Rumormill

With the mostly unloved Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren set to get the official axe in 2009, the path is clear for the next McLaren-branded supercar to be unveiled. Expected to be built at its facility in Woking, England, McLaren has plans for the as-yet-unnamed vehicle to compete with Ferrari's incredible F430. Rumored to be powered by a 550-horsepower V8 engine featuring a basic design snagged from Mercedes and built by Mahle (that of the former Cosworth tuning fame), the power-to-weight ratio should handily outdo that of the Prancing Horse. Shortly after the new coupe codenamed P11 is unveiled, a convertible version is also expected.

True hardcore McLaren enthusiasts should mark 2012 as the year that McLaren returns to form with a proper replacement for its awe-inspiring F1 of a few years back. Powered by a lightweight version of the P11 architecture, this car codenamed the P12 is expected to be powered by a V10 engine with over 600 horsepower. The waiting list will likely start right... about... now.

This is Don's screen name.

• 3 months later...
Update... Bought a black/red SLR today to go with my yellow Murci . Not a bad combination

Congrats. Post up some pics of them together :)

Update... Bought a black/red SLR today to go with my yellow Murci . Not a bad combination

Congrats, Jon. You'll love the car.

Yes, let's see some pictures. And let's see some pictures of your whole collection.

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Jonny I recognise you from PH. Congrats good choice for DD in London, although the CGT can have a front lift retro fitted, but from what I have heard still difficult. There is a branding pack I saw in Dubai where all the Mercedes signs on the SLR are replaced by Mclaren logos, that would be a nice touch.

There is a branding pack I saw in Dubai where all the Mercedes signs on the SLR are replaced by Mclaren logos, that would be a nice touch.

:eusa_naughty:

that would be pretty gay imo

Jonny I recognise you from PH. Congrats good choice for DD in London, although the CGT can have a front lift retro fitted, but from what I have heard still difficult. There is a branding pack I saw in Dubai where all the Mercedes signs on the SLR are replaced by Mclaren logos, that would be a nice touch.

FWIW, I test drove an SLR on the open rode for many miles. I also own a LP640, 2008. The SLR just did not have the excitment that the 640 does both in looks ( Roadster ) and performance. Mine is a 6 speed manual which I also like very much as it makes me feel like I am more in control of the engine.

I also drove for many miles a 599 with Egear. I would take that car over the SLR also. If I could find a 6 speed low mileage 599 in Silver I would buy it and keep the 640. That would be a nice collection along with my other cars. Just my opinion.

FWIW, I test drove an SLR on the open rode for many miles. I also own a LP640, 2008. The SLR just did not have the excitment that the 640 does both in looks ( Roadster ) and performance. Mine is a 6 speed manual which I also like very much as it makes me feel like I am more in control of the engine.

I also drove for many miles a 599 with Egear. I would take that car over the SLR also. If I could find a 6 speed low mileage 599 in Silver I would buy it and keep the 640. That would be a nice collection along with my other cars. Just my opinion.

Hey

I do agree with you . I have a yellow 6.2 for the drama (not a lot comes close to a tubi murcie right) , and the SLR as my daily shitter.

I drove the 599 , and whilst I think it drives better than the lp640 and the SLR last time I checked I wasn't a Fag - and definitely not someone who likes haemorrhaging money on a v12 fag car

How do you mean the SLR doesnt have the excitement of the Lp640 in performance?

I drove the 599 , and whilst I think it drives better than the lp640 and the SLR last time I checked I wasn't a Fag

LOL!!

Hello Jonny, another lurker from PH. Lovely new purchase btw but just out of interest I am assuming that you have had a look at the Black/Black SLR at Romans? It has been on sale for awhile and wondered what is wrong with it - just asking out of curiosity mind.

How do you mean the SLR doesnt have the excitement of the Lp640 in performance?

I'm guessing it could be the transmission, the looks, and perhaps the sound since he said it was a roadster (making the sound more audible)? The 640 revs to what? 8k? That could play a role as well in feeling more drama as the revs rise.

I'm guessing it could be the transmission, the looks, and perhaps the sound since he said it was a roadster (making the sound more audible)? The 640 revs to what? 8k? That could play a role as well in feeling more drama as the revs rise.

That may be the case, but as you revel in all that drama the SLR will be pulling away from the lp640.

LotusMike: Your description of the differance between the two cars is close to how I feel. As for the SLR pulling away from the 640, I have found that I do not have to have the fastest car out there. The 640 is fast enough to provide many thrills. Buying a particular car is a subjective process. We all have differant prioritys. When we finally sort out those prioritys we makes our choice and plunks down the cash. In any case I have found that, when it comes to performance, if you wait long enough there will always be something that comes along that is faster than what you have.

• 3 weeks later...

So I got the SLR . It's fcuking insane, and that's from having owned a Carrera GT

Sorry for the shit picture , the front plate is coming off - think it ruins the look

post-2963-1221743174_thumb.jpg

So I got the SLR . It's fcuking insane, and that's from having owned a Carrera GT

Sorry for the shit picture , the front plate is coming off - think it ruins the look

Congratulations!!! That is an awesome ride....

Great choice!!! Now do the pulley, ECU and I/C pumps.... You will SHIT...

Great choice!!! Now do the pulley, ECU and I/C pumps.... You will SHIT...

what's the $ on that , and what's does it pump out?