2003 BMW 760Li question

beachbummed

I am looking at an 03 black/black BMW 760Li with the V12 engine. It has one year and approximately 62,000 miles left on the warranty. (BMW extended the warranties on the 02/03 760's to 6 years/100Kmiles because of numerous issues). Supposedly, if all updates have been done, I'm being told they are great cars. Anyone have any experience with this year?

I am looking at an 03 black/black BMW 760Li with the V12 engine. It has one year and approximately 62,000 miles left on the warranty. (BMW extended the warranties on the 02/03 760's to 6 years/100Kmiles because of numerous issues). Supposedly, if all updates have been done, I'm being told they are great cars. Anyone have any experience with this year?

I had '03 745i and '06 750Li, the 745 was a nightmare as far as the electronics were concerned, it lts been 30 times in the dealer for repairs.. The bigger engine should not make a difference as most problems encountered with those cars were computer related.

The updated version the 750 is almost trouble free since I got, just some minor issues here and there but generally speaking it's bulletproof.

Gil, my mom had the first year 745Li and it was the BIGGEST nightmare care ever. Like Rakjoe said, it was probably in the shop close to 20 times. All computer stuff. I would NOT get an early model of these cars.

I had '03 745i and '06 750Li, the 745 was a nightmare as far as the electronics were concerned, it lts been 30 times in the dealer for repairs.. The bigger engine should not make a difference as most problems encountered with those cars were computer related.

The updated version the 750 is almost trouble free since I got, just some minor issues here and there but generally speaking it's bulletproof.

That's the feedback I'm getting from friends in the know. There were supposedly up to 8 software fixes along the way and I'm being told by some BMW people that if all updates are complete there will be no more problems. I am also being told that the 02/03 760Li has the distinction of having the most reported defects of any vehicle ever in the US. So much so that BMW extended the warranty to 6 yrs/100K. I understand that those that bought the car new went through the electrical nightmares but the ensuing updates fixed everything. The car is great and I want to Dinan it. Did the campaigns fix everything? Anyone still have theirs after the updates?

My everyday driver for now, an 05 Lexus LS430 with ultra luxe package and pre-collision is nice, and an incredible magnet for any cougar over 80 :la: , but this 760 tops it in many ways- including aesthetics, performance, and comfort features. And I drive excessively in my main vehicles, so much so that I am now out of warranty on the 430, even after purchasing the 100K option. The only other car that I've driven that comes close to my ultra luxe 430 is the new S550. But I'm getting tired of buying new luxury sedans and killing their resale value by putting so many miles on them. They end up as company cars that I give to employees or family. What is so attractive about this 760 is the one more year of warranty with 60K miles. If all updates are complete, it's supposed to be good to go?

Gil, my mom had the first year 745Li and it was the BIGGEST nightmare care ever. Like Rakjoe said, it was probably in the shop close to 20 times. All computer stuff. I would NOT get an early model of these cars.

Your family changes cars like people change underwear. :icon_mrgreen:

I need feedback from someone who still owns one of the problem children that were supposedly corrected through multiple campaigns.

I have an 02' 745. Sure the first 2 years I needed to go to the dealer maybe 10 times total. Mainly stupid software glitches. Right now I still have the same car and the past year the car has been bulletproof. The entire time I had the car it has never left me stranded, thats the key!!

BMW is great with their service and it is very good of them to give such a great extended service warrantee to keep resale up. Once the new model comes out ( 2009 or 2010) I will surely upgrade.

Even though most glitches were fixed by now, I would still stay away from the early years models (02-05) and will find a nice low milage 06, it is so much more refined it's worth the difference.

It's already got the depreciation hit, it shouldn't be much more expensive anyway.

This one is nice too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-BMW-760L...0245961073&

I saw this one yesterday and fell in love with the interior. I was thinking of bidding until I read this thread....:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-BMW-74...0221304865&

If you notice, the 06 760LI is almost 600lbs more than the 03 745i. That is a huge difference.