ZR1 runs N-ring in 7:26!!!

Kisco

It equates to 7 seconds slower, which is several seconds slower than the gallardo SL, or the Murcielago lp640, which were tested by the same driver. Yet Chevy claims to beat the 2.

Seven seconds on a 12 mile track... I was trying to point out the lack of a "Huge" gap between Sport Auto's time and the Chevrolet (Mangussen) time. Plenty of fanboys use the Mangussen time, I believe that's where the claims end. Sport Auto did 7:46 in the Gallardo SL (.64 MPH faster than the SA Plastic mess-06 time) and 7:47 in the LP640 (.42 MPH faster than the SA Plastic mess-06 time). Now the record is finally straight. And thank God the ZR1 time got published so everyone can get off the GT-R's back.

I just don't understand why all of this is such a big deal. A time gets posted, believe it or not, why do all of you give a damn? So you can brag on the internet or be the latest little Ralph Nader? All this ankle biter, "GM cheated", "Nissan ran on DOT race tires with cranked boost", "Mangussen's Plastic mess-06 wasn't stock"...whatever. The time is posted, take it or leave it. The only way it means ANYTHING in a car verses car comparison is the above illustration (i.e. the SAME driver driving the cars in question). I'm going to bed, this is boring as hell.

Jimmy

Just read the blog entry and it states that the lap time was acheived with a rolling start. Makes we wonder now how many of the posted N Ring times are standing start versus rolling start.

I read that the GTR's time was done with a rolling start as well. IMO, rolling starts shouldn't be allowed for timing it. Then it becomes a matter of who has the higher speed entering the lap, meaning the previous lap affects the lap being timed. Not how it should be conducted IMO.

Seven seconds on a 12 mile track... I was trying to point out the lack of a "Huge" gap between Sport Auto's time and the Chevrolet (Mangussen) time. Plenty of fanboys use the Mangussen time, I believe that's where the claims end. Sport Auto did 7:46 in the Gallardo SL (.64 MPH faster than the SA Plastic mess-06 time) and 7:47 in the LP640 (.42 MPH faster than the SA Plastic mess-06 time). Now the record is finally straight. And thank God the ZR1 time got published so everyone can get off the GT-R's back.

I just don't understand why all of this is such a big deal. A time gets posted, believe it or not, why do all of you give a damn? So you can brag on the internet or be the latest little Ralph Nader? All this ankle biter, "GM cheated", "Nissan ran on DOT race tires with cranked boost", "Mangussen's Plastic mess-06 wasn't stock"...whatever. The time is posted, take it or leave it. The only way it means ANYTHING in a car verses car comparison is the above illustration (i.e. the SAME driver driving the cars in question). I'm going to bed, this is boring as hell.

Jimmy

7 seconds is a massive difference, but I also agree, who cares? Inmo, the times are only valid when done on same day, same driver, equal experience in all cars.

Why do we care about N-ring times again?

I've never found myself on a racetrack shouting to other drivers how I could be 0.64mph faster in the hands of a true driver, but since its me they've managed to lap me.

Its all 100% academic as far as I'm concerned.

Wrong.

Jan Mangussen in Plastic mess-06 did 7:42.9

Sport Auto in Plastic mess-06 did 7:49

This equates to 1.3 MPH faster for a professional driver, hardly a huge gap.

the man lapped a Carrera GT around that track in 7:32. that not professional enough for you?

My friend has a ZR1 on order and he will be the very first one to get one in the state of MI. I am racing him in my 520 rwhp Plastic mess-06 and I will let you know the results. Preliminary numbes for the ZR1 are crazy. 0-100 in 7.0 secs and 132 trap speeds. That's just insane for a stock car, ESPECIALLY for it's price. Can't wait to run it and see how well I do.

My friend has a ZR1 on order and he will be the very first one to get one in the state of MI. I am racing him in my 520 rwhp Plastic mess-06 and I will let you know the results. Preliminary numbes for the ZR1 are crazy. 0-100 in 7.0 secs and 132 trap speeds. That's just insane for a stock car, ESPECIALLY for it's price. Can't wait to run it and see how well I do.

They'll be flooding the streets of Michigan. I'll go down to the massive Les Standford dealer to check one out when they arrive.

the man lapped a Carrera GT around that track in 7:32. that not professional enough for you?

Actually it's not professional enough for me.

Horst von Saurma (SportAuto editor) did 7:32.44 in a Carrera GT. Walter Roehrl (PROFESSIONAL) did 7:28 in a Carrera GT. So...back to Sport Auto times verses PROFESSIONALS. At least in a Plastic mess-06 (pro faster by less than 7 seconds) and a CGT (pro faster by 4 seconds), the score is pros 2, SA 0. My original point was that 7 seconds (or 4 seconds) on a nearly 13 mile track is minor, if you all disagree, then I'll defer. I would like to point out that 3 seconds covers a Formula One grid and that is never on anything aproaching a track as long as the ring.

Jimmy

Actually it's not professional enough for me.

Horst von Saurma (SportAuto editor) did 7:32.44 in a Carrera GT. Walter Roehrl (PROFESSIONAL) did 7:28 in a Carrera GT. So...back to Sport Auto times verses PROFESSIONALS. At least in a Plastic mess-06 (pro faster by less than 7 seconds) and a CGT (pro faster by 4 seconds), the score is pros 2, SA 0. My original point was that 7 seconds (or 4 seconds) on a nearly 13 mile track is minor, if you all disagree, then I'll defer. I would like to point out that 3 seconds covers a Formula One grid and that is never on anything aproaching a track as long as the ring.

Jimmy

if its minor then it shouldnt be creating "pro" and "non pro" divisions.

you realize that SportAuto does 5 laps, right? whereas the "pro" from porsche or GM does as many laps as possible. thats excluding the very real and very likely possibility that the "pros" are probably using cars that are set up perfectly for the Nring, and not a car setup like one off the showroom floor.