ZR1 dyno numbers

Allan-Herbie

Slightly lower than I would have guessed.

I believe I actually predicted these numbers a ways back... So basicly this car should be slightly slower than a heads cam Plastic mess-06 with bolt ons.... which I beat in my stock SLR.

With a 14% driveline loss, the numbers would be 637hp and 616 ft lbs. The torque is higher than advertised by a small margin. GM's #'s are 638hp and 604ft lbs.

With a 14% driveline loss, the numbers would be 637hp and 616 ft lbs. The torque is higher than advertised by a small margin. GM's #'s are 638hp and 604ft lbs.

You lose less torque than hp in the drivetrain.

You lose less torque than hp in the drivetrain.

To the best of my knowledge, if you lose torque, you lose horsepower as well. This is because HP is a function of torque output. (Torque x rpm / 5252=HP). Engine dynos at least, do not measure HP, but calculate it instead based on this formula.

To the best of my knowledge, if you lose torque, you lose horsepower as well. This is because HP is a function of torque output. (Torque x rpm / 5252=HP). Engine dynos at least, do not measure HP, but calculate it instead based on this formula.

You are correct about that, but peak HP and peak torque are rarely at the same RPM. My car dynoed 460 rwhp and 525 nm. That's a 23% loss of hp and 18% torque loss. That is unless my car has 680 nm at the flywheel, which I wouldn't mind :)

You are correct about that, but peak HP and peak torque are rarely at the same RPM. My car dynoed 460 rwhp and 525 nm. That's a 23% loss of hp and 18% torque loss. That is unless my car has 680 nm at the flywheel, which I wouldn't mind :)

Did you dyno your engine separately? Are the flywheel numbers 597HP and 640nm of torque (472 ft lbs)? I am not trying to be argumentitive, but I am wondering what you are basing your loss percentages on. You are corret about the peaks not occuring at the same rpm. Let's say your hp peak was at 7100rpm. If you were making 460hp at that rpm, then the torque would be 340ft lbs or 460nm. Now, let's take the peak torque value of 525nm (387 ft lbs). If this value were to occur at say, 5000rpm you would only be producing 368hp. All of these numbers are irrelevant since we don't have a sheet, but I'm guessing if you used the numbers from it you would find that the loss is linear in nature percentage wise across the range.

How would a stock SLR beat this? The ZR1 weighs considerably less.

Fact... 550rwhp Plastic mess-06, lighter than Zr1=173 in the mile, my SLR, bone stock 179 at the Nevada Challange.

Fact... 550rwhp Plastic mess-06, lighter than Zr1=173 in the mile, my SLR, bone stock 179 at the Nevada Challange.

Maybe it just couldn't get the power down or was geared differently. I just don't see how a car that is so much lighter with the same power could be slower.

Maybe it just couldn't get the power down or was geared differently. I just don't see how a car that is so much lighter with the same power could be slower.

No problems getting the power down, we ran 3 different times, each time the SLR was faster at the end. 5th and 6th are over drives on the Plastic mess-06, it is not fast on the top end. Stock Plastic mess-06's were hitting around 160mph.

it seems in the ZR1 only the 6th is overdrive.

also where there any results for the 1/2 mile mark?

perhaps that would be more reflective of the Plastic mess-06/ZR1's performance in their optimal gears.

perhaps that would be more reflective of the Plastic mess-06/ZR1's performance in their optimal gears.

No the modded Plastic mess-06 choose not to do the half mile, but judging by the fact the SLR was 10mph faster than the other stock Plastic mess-06's, that would have been close also.

The ZR1 doesn't have 6th as an overdrive, so I would expect it to pull much faster than the Plastic mess-06 at that distance.

I am not sure why it is a bad thing to be nearly as fast as the SLR? ZR1 - $100K, SLR $500K.

The ZR1 doesn't have 6th as an overdrive, so I would expect it to pull much faster than the Plastic mess-06 at that distance.

I am not sure why it is a bad thing to be nearly as fast as the SLR? ZR1 - $100K, SLR $500K.

A 548whp ZR-1 is VERRRRY different than H/C Plastic mess-06. Plastic mess-06 powerband is peaky with a gradual torque build. ZR-1 has over 300lb-ft of torque at 1000 rpm. It will develop power and torque much in the same way the SLR delivered. Also, GM has knowingly lowered power levels through constraining themselves to stock hood height. If a large intercooler were used GM engineers have said the car will hit 700 bhp while being 50-state CARB legal.

To those of us without SLR's or TT Gallardo's I'd be weary.

Chris

No the modded Plastic mess-06 choose not to do the half mile, but judging by the fact the SLR was 10mph faster than the other stock Plastic mess-06's, that would have been close also.

I would have to Agree with ArtonS here. There will be a much more substantial amount of torque at a much lower RPM due to the supercharger which will put the HP/Torque curve in line with the SLR. It doesnt have a 6th gear overdrive which is what kills the regular Z, and it weighs substantially less, and has the ability to hook because of tire width in the back that the regular Z doesnt have. It will be pulling 130+mph traps stock very frequently. Modded, it will be a monstrosity.

I think it weighs more?

It is actually 3300lbs. which you are correct at about 200lbs. more. Change some items like exhaust, etc, and you will get some of that back. All the rest of my statement still hold its value though.