Constantly Open Exhaust

rmartin

I did the mod before where you unplug the cord in the back of the car. It opens the exhaust at all times, however, after about 50 miles one of the two bank lights came on and would not go away. So my question is what would happen I tried it again but this time I would jump the circuit? Therefor tricking the car's computer to thinking it is a stable connection..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the mod before where you unplug the cord in the back of the car. It opens the exhaust at all times, however, after about 50 miles one of the two bank lights came on and would not go away. So my question is what would happen I tried it again but this time I would jump the circuit? Therefor tricking the car's computer to thinking it is a stable connection..

This can no longer be done on cars that are 07 or newer.

Are there any options other than switching out the exhaust on the 07/08 MY's?

As of now I do not think so. The problem is with the new softwear in the LIEs (engine ECU). I know that for 07 cars people were installing 06 program on the ECU and this keep the check engine light from coming on. This can only be done to an 07 car.

To change the exhuast you need to have the bypass valves on the ehxaust that you would install.

when does the exhaust become fully open? Only when your foots to the floor?

I think it's a combination of throttle position, and revs must be higher than ~3200rpm.

I think it's a combination of throttle position, and revs must be higher than ~3200rpm.

Correct. For those with inquiring minds, here are some more details.

The valve in the exhaust path is normally "open" (loud). It is held "closed" (quiet) by manifold vacuum. In the vacuum line is a computer-controlled electrical solenoid valve that cuts off the vacuum supply when RPMs exceed a certain threshold (somewhere around 3200 as Turbo50Mike said). And, of course, anytime there's no vacuum the exhaust reverts to "loud" - such as full throttle and immediately after starting the car. So it's a logical "OR" of two conditions: RPM > 3200 OR throttle open.

The electrically operated solenoid valve is normally closed. During normal driving, the solenoid valve is energized (12 volts) by the engine computer to open it up and allow manifold vacuum to reach the exhaust valves. When RPMs exceed the magic number the computer removes power from the solenoid, causing it to close. The vacuum is then cut off from the exhaust valves, which open and the car gets loud.

So, to make the car loud, you can either disconnect the vacuum line or unplug the electrical connector from the solenoid valve. Although it 's technically possible, I don't think the engine controller monitors the current drawn by the solenoid valve - so it probably can't tell if you've unplugged the solenoid. Disconnecting the vacuum line can't be detected; there's no pressure (vacuum?) sensor south of the solenoid valve. However it looks like the '07 and later cars CAN detect the reduced back pressure, which is the end result.

I'm still trying to figure out how they can detect the lack of back pressure. Maybe the O2 sensor has something to do with it.

Note to rmartin: If you disconnect the electrical connector from the solenoid valve, DO NOT try to short the pins of the connector to "fake out" the computer into thinking the solenoid is still attached. You will likely blow a fuse and possibly damage the engine controller. If this is a concern, leave the solenoid connected and just disconnect the vacuum line from the bottom of the solenoid valve (the line that goes down to the exhaust valves). Then plug the open nipple on the solenoid valve to keep dirt and dust out of the system.

I would draw caution in doing this modification, there is a reason why the valve is closed under 3200 RPM, back pressure, leaving the valve open all the time decreases back pressure which MAY hinder bottom end torque, no to mention run the risk of a lean condition and burning a valve or 2 or 20. :shock: totally fine on a turbo application, but not N/A

I do understand that the ECU may be able to adjust for the compensation, but when you get the bank light is probably when the adjustment may be too great for the computer to compensate for. Not saying its exact, but I would look into it more, this is like turning the boost up on a car and not knowing the limits of the internals.

Someone else feel free to chime in on this one. But I wouldn't mess with it.

My car is an '07 and I've had no issues with lights coming on with my line unplugged and the exhuast flaps open all the time for the past year. Only this past summer when I shipped the car to NY for the month I spent there did the lights come on 1 time and 1 time only. I have a OBD 2 scanner and checked and cleared the codes myself and never saw the lights again the rest of my time in NY nor since I've had the car back in AZ.

My G' is an 06'

You should be able to do the mod with no lights...Maybe it's something else. The 06's were pretty forgiving with the exhaust error codes.

• 5 weeks later...
You should be able to do the mod with no lights...Maybe it's something else. The 06's were pretty forgiving with the exhaust error codes.

Correct.

I have an '06 and have unplugged the electrical connector with no ill effects whatsoever. ('cept perhaps mild ear damage from the V10 music)

• 2 months later...
Correct.

I have an '06 and have unplugged the electrical connector with no ill effects whatsoever. ('cept perhaps mild ear damage from the V10 music)

Lamborghini Gallardo uses what they call kalvico sensors,named for the company who makes them,they are exhaust pressure sensors.There are two sensors, one per bank, there is a metal pipe like brake line from the catalytic converter to a silicone based hose feeding these sensors, they are hard to see on the gallardo. they are on a bracket attached to the top of transmission bellhousing with the variable intake solenoid that controls the intake manifold runners.thats how they monitor the exhaust system pressure.On cars 06 late production, 07 or newer if you install 04 to 05 kalvico sensors they willwork on 07-08 vehicles to not trigger check engine lite because the earlier 04,05 have a slower 5 BIT output compared to the newer cars 15 BIT output.Only problem is the Kalvico sensors are not cheap. Hope this helps Lambotech2 here to help.

The old kalvico sensors are a different part number by one letter,there is a capital A at the end of the part number on the newer 06 and up part.the old one doesnt have any letter at the end of the part number. Lambotech2 Here to help

O'Gara Coach Co in West LA put in a switch for me so I can open and close the valve. I have put probably 8k miles on it since I had the switch put in. I usually leave it open. Never had a problem, love hearing that over run and the gas popping in the exhaust. I can't feel any difference in torque.

I always thought they put the valve in to get around European noise standard tests.

......There are two sensors, one per bank, there is a metal pipe like brake line from the catalytic converter to a silicone based hose feeding these sensors, they are hard to see on the gallardo. they are on a bracket attached to the top of transmission bellhousing with the variable intake solenoid that controls the intake manifold runners......

Is this it? This looks more like a thermocouple (temperature sensor).

DSCN4661x.JPG

That is the themocoupler,the metal tube to the kalvico sensor is on the front of the cat up by the flange its reading the exhaust pressure before the cat,also the metal tube screws in the cat just like a brake line, this metal tube likes to get plugged with carbon and debris causing check engine lites because the sensor isnt getting a pressure reading from the exhaust. Lambotech2 Here to help

Lamborghini Gallardo uses what they call kalvico sensors,named for the company who makes them,they are exhaust pressure sensors.There are two sensors, one per bank, there is a metal pipe like brake line from the catalytic converter to a silicone based hose feeding these sensors, they are hard to see on the gallardo. they are on a bracket attached to the top of transmission bellhousing with the variable intake solenoid that controls the intake manifold runners.thats how they monitor the exhaust system pressure.On cars 06 late production, 07 or newer if you install 04 to 05 kalvico sensors they willwork on 07-08 vehicles to not trigger check engine lite because the earlier 04,05 have a slower 5 BIT output compared to the newer cars 15 BIT output.Only problem is the Kalvico sensors are not cheap. Hope this helps Lambotech2 here to help.

If this is accurate, this would be very helpful to 07-08 owners that want exhaust without triggering CEL's.

LT2, do you work at a Lambo dealer?

If this is accurate, this would be very helpful to 07-08 owners that want exhaust without triggering CEL's.

LT2, do you work at a Lambo dealer?

Correct, 22 years experience on Italian exotics, 24 years in repair biz, two times of Lambo school a year, One time a year in Sant #### and One time a year at the VW-Audi training facility in Marlboro Massachusetts. I started out back in the 80's repairing Countach's and LM002's, Ferrari ,Masarati etc. Iknow AJ Global pretty good and AZ Lambo. Good Guys Exotic Car Lovers are great. Lambotech2 always here to help

Correct, 22 years experience on Italian exotics, 24 years in repair biz, two times of Lambo school a year, One time a year in Sant #### and One time a year at the VW-Audi training facility in Marlboro Massachusetts. I started out back in the 80's repairing Countach's and LM002's, Ferrari ,Masarati etc. Iknow AJ Global pretty good and AZ Lambo. Good Guys Exotic Car Lovers are great. Lambotech2 always here to help

Please, let me be the first to offer you a VERY warm welcome to the board. Your experience and knowledge will probably be unparalleled here.

It's great to have a 'go to' guy for all those Italian gremlins.

That is the themocoupler,the metal tube to the kalvico sensor is on the front of the cat up by the flange its reading the exhaust pressure before the cat,also the metal tube screws in the cat just like a brake line, this metal tube likes to get plugged with carbon and debris causing check engine lites because the sensor isnt getting a pressure reading from the exhaust. Lambotech2 Here to help

I take mine out every 6 months, gently straighten them out, and run a piece of stainless tig welding wire ( 3/32" diameter) through the tubes. LOTS of junk comes out of them for about 5 minutes, and then they're clean.

I think someone (Ricambi) sells stainless tubes for $100 a piece.

I also thought that that the ECU on the left bank watches the vacuum at the rear valve that controls the exhuast bypass by way of amp draw or vacuum usage. Also when the car is cold doest the LIEs monitor cat temp warm up as well? How fast they are at temp?

Just wondering because I thought there was more to it then just the bit count on the new sensors. If this is the case that is an easy way around the problem. The sensors are what about $360 each?

The LIE only controls electrical coil in solenoid valve by controlling ground of the solenoid coil, vacuum comes from blue vacuum resivoir behind right side plastic paneling,LIE doesn't monitor vacuum of this,it knows vacuum of the engine by the map sensor between the plenum chambers. It does monitor amp draw on solenoid coil because if coil shorts the driver in the LIE will fry.to much voltage to driver,the LIES monitor cat temps always,all newer cars have air pumps and when you cold start you want those cats to fire up as quickly as possible,so pump air the the exhaust,on your lambo its in the cylinder head via those secondary air valves (borrowed from Audi and BMW) this fires up the ovens, the catalytic converters once there hot enough ,signal from temp sensor ok (usually 350 F) the pump is turned off by LIE,vacuum solenoid turned off by LIE for secondary air valves (yeah same solenoid as exhaust flaps just different location,different job,same part) this process is very fast remember your gallardo has variable valve timing so compression on these engines go uo to 350-380 psi when you advance the intake valve timing and retard the exhaust for max power and the LIE likes to do this at idle. Lambotech2 Here to help

Great info, and love reading your posts. A little off topic, but can you explain why some Gallardo's shoot flames? Is this bad, bad meaning, can it hurt anything? I think it's wild.