Constantly Open Exhaust

rmartin

Can I do this on my 05 G? If so, how? :)

Yes, you can - you just won't get the same results. The '05 and '04 did not have a full muffler bypass. All the exhaust went into the muffler and the exhaust valve opened up a second exit pipe from the muffler. It will make some difference, but not as much as the '06 and later.

The solenoid is located in the same place as shown in the photos posted earlier on this thread.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just disconnected the valves electrically...Well actually my 17 year old son did the work. Took a grand total of 15 minutes start to finish. Well actually 10 minutes to do the work and 5 minutes explaining why he can't drive the G on prom night. Plastic body piece was actually help by 4mm metric allen screws (8 to 10) -be careful not to over tighten these screws when reinstalling...finger tight plus half a turn will do it... Popped the connectors retainer clip off with a small flat head screw driver. Pulled the connector and bagged it. Sounds exceptional.....No ECU warning lights - yet! I personally would not mess with an on and off switch set up....waste of $$'s since once you do it...you'll never place the car back "stealth" mode again....06 G/manual

It seems that this mod is inpossible on a 07 gallardo without the cel goes on! anyone succceded with an 07 and up?

any tricks to not make the cel go on?

It seems that this mod is inpossible on a 07 gallardo without the cel goes on! anyone succceded with an 07 and up?

No one?

I've been watching a similar thread on another board and I got the impression on the later cars the engine computer monitors the current through the solenoid valve. If he unhooked the electrical connector from the solenoid he got CELs. If he just plugged the vacuum line he didn't. Don't know what year the car was. I also know that the later cars have some backpressure sensor that will cause CELs if the exhaust valves are constantly open.

So, you may be looking a one or both of these issues on an '07. If you've tried plugging the vacuum line and you still get CELs then you may be out of luck until someone figures out how to fool the backpressure sensors.

If you only get CELs when the solenoid is unhooked, and you still want to switch back and forth (between quiet and loud) electrically, then you may be able to fool the current monitoring by switching in a suitable load resistor to simulate the solenoid when in "loud" mode.

If you guys read the replies, I previously posted that I have not tripped any CEL's by disconnecting the vacuum line in my 2008 Gallardo Superleggera.

It has been over 3 weeks now and everything works just fine without any lights. So, get out there and do it! :)

-R

Thanks SO much, doltmo! I unscrewed the rear honeycomb grille and immediately found the vacuum line in plain sight towards the bottom of the grille, right above the license plate. I undid the clamp, capped off both lines and had the whole job done in 5 minutes flat. What an amazing difference! It's a great alternative until I can get a new exhaust on her - the exhaust note is WAY deeper and it's MUCH louder.. sounds more like a Lamborghini than a Toyota Prius now. :D Words can't describe how much the exhaust note changed from a simple little tube. It's been 2 days and I have not tripped any Check Engine Lights at all - for reference for those who find this post in the future, I have a 2008 Gallardo Superleggera.

-R

If you guys read the replies, I previously posted that I have not tripped any CEL's by disconnecting the vacuum line in my 2008 Gallardo Superleggera.

It has been over 3 weeks now and everything works just fine without any lights. So, get out there and do it! :)

-R

Tried it today, no CEL nothing.. change in sound was AMAZING :-) it even pops and bangs when downshifting now..

I've got an 04 G, Tubi exhaust.

I replaced the rear diffuser and noticed the vacumm pipe was not connected behind the honeycomb grill at the top next to the solonoid. Further down at the two other ends of the metal pipe there were no rubber tubes attached. I didn't see any point in having this piece of tube sat there doing nothing, so removed it.

I've owned the car for two years and this tube has always been disconnected to my knowledge, and I've never had any lights appear.

So, as I don't have the original exhaust (never did), and have removed the lot now, no rubber tube or metal T pipe,

can anyone tell me why my car is loud like the valves are open when it starts up and then it goes quiet when warm? as if it has the original actuating valves still in the exhaust.

It would be a good idea to verify that the vacuum system has not been compromised (i.e no leaks) by the mods.

There are several ways; any one of the following will work:

1. remove the vacuum line from the top of the solenoid (the vacuum line from the engine) and plug it.

2. unplug the electrical connector from the solenoid. The unplugged solenoid is permanently closed and will effectively plug the vacuum line.

3. manually plug the vacuum line leaving (going to the exhaust valves).

As to why the car should louder immediately after starting - it could just be the way the engine controller operates.

I have found the following:

valve OFF = no CEL if keeping speed and RPM down

valve OFF = + CEL if on highway and then putting it through the paces

The CEL will go off automatically after 5 starts and reset itself as the CEL "problem" is not ongoing.

The sound difference at higher speeds and RPM's is relatively minimal.

So "around town" when I want to hear it grumble and pop I turn the valve OFF and at higher speeds on the highway I turn the valve back ON.

I love this mod. I had Tubi on an 07 coupe and this crushes is it IMHO!!!!

P1000679.JPGP1000681.JPG

Great Mod thanks guys!

Had it for a week! No CEL! 06 Spyder Manual.

Snap crackle and pop! its delayed my larini/LOC exhaust for a while.

Thinking about the switch though.

Anyone know what test pipes or sports cats and stock open exhaust would sound like.

This I want to know as well.

Can't say for sure. When I had the 06 Coupe it had Tubi's and it's better than them. When they removed the Tubi's we started the engine just to see what it sounded like and it was very similar, but that included the cats.

For me the nice part is being able to go from full out to "stealth mode", especially when slinking back to the house low profile.

• 2 months later...

I just had Fabspeed bypass put on with the valves open and OMG is it loud prob a little too loud and too coarse especially down low. I've had the valves back on but its too quiet hehe.

I'm going to do the switch mod now but question the valves mode wont work if I go aftermarket muffler ?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I have an 04 Gallardo and was seriously considering doing a retrofit of a 2006-2008 stock exhaust to replace my current stock exhaust. Great writeup on Lamboweb about doing the swap, although I'd have the dealer do it (Lamboweb 2006 Exhaust Retrofit)

As you all know doing this retrofit requires leaving the bypass valves open since the 04/05 wasn't designed to use them so I would expect it to be a little louder. However, when I spoke with the service rep at the dealer, he said they can definitely do the swap but warned that it would be louder than just a little louder, and I was like sure whatever he's just trying to cover his butt. But last weekend I was at the track with my beater car and heard a racing Spec Porsche Boxster that had a straight exhaust, no muffler or cats or anything, and it would loud as HELL. Even 200 feet away you couldn't carry on a conversation. I image a similar volume would come out of having the muffler bypassed like in the swap. So now I'm reconsidering what the service rep said.

Those of you who have either done the retrofit or have the bypass permanently open, how much louder is it, mainly at low powers (like idle and cruising around the neighborhood)?

Thanks all,

'Dubs

Idle = not noticeable

Cruising = bit louder.

Full open = Deafening and very annoying inside and outside vehicle to both occupants and people living in your neighborhood.

• 4 weeks later...
Idle = not noticeable

Cruising = bit louder.

Full open = Deafening and very annoying inside and outside vehicle to both occupants and people living in your neighborhood.

Nice thanks!

About being loud at full open, isn't that also how loud it is in the 06+'s? I wouldn't think that doing the retrofit would make the 04 louder than the 06+ when the bypass is open, unless something other than the exhaust was changed in the 06+.

Nice thanks!

About being loud at full open, isn't that also how loud it is in the 06+'s? I wouldn't think that doing the retrofit would make the 04 louder than the 06+ when the bypass is open, unless something other than the exhaust was changed in the 06+.

With the valve open on the 06+'s, you essential have a straight pipe from the cats to the rear bumper. Retrofitting an '06 exhaust on an '04 will give you the same thing. Straight pipe is straight pipe.

The '04's had exhaust valves - they just didn't do much because they didn't bypass the entire muffler. I would think that you could connect the vacuum lines on your '04 to the valves on the '06 retrofit system and it would perform the same way it does on the '06+'s.

I drove my '06 with the valves bypassed for quite a while and never thought it was overly loud during idle and at cruise. But then again, I left the cats in place. Taking those out would make it significantly louder.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

Finally had the operation done at the dealer, they used an 08 exhaust. They hooked back up the vacuum lines (the 04 has them but because of the design it always goes through the muffler no matter what). Based on some of the discussion here I thought it would be pointless because installing the retrofit exhaust means you're in the open-bypass all the time....but mine doesn't. It works exactly like it was 06+ stock. That is, below 3000 RPM the bypass is closed and it goes through the muffler, and above 3000 it bypasses. I'll drive along just below 3000 RPM and it will be so quiet it's like the Lambo is in "stealth mode". Go above 3000 and you can hear the bypass open up and the car get louder.

Point is, I probably would have been okay having it in bypass the whole time but I love not having to choose! It works on my 04 exactly the way it does on the 06+. The trick is to make sure you hook back up the vacuum lines. Apparently (and you can see it on the Lamboweb conversion writeup) the 04-05's also had the bypass lines but were useless because it would always go through the muffler. But it seems the logic and plumbing to tell the bypass valves to open at 3000 RPM was still in place. Silly of Lambo to make a bypass that didn't bypass, but kudos for them for designing a better muffler that didn't need any other hardware and software changes.

One happy camper over here. The torque down low seems less than the 04 stock, but at the higher RPM's the torque feels stronger...really pushes you back in the seat. Especially without a passenger.

Good luck all and thanks for the info.