Lambo 8.2L V12 race engines

Jota1995

I was fortunate enough to be taken through the Maritimo offshore racing workshop a little while ago. These guys run some Class 1 offshore race boats in Australia as well as racing Internationally in Class 1. They are based on the Gold Coast.

I took some pics with my crappy phone I had on me at the time:

Fully prepared engine ready to be dropped in. Engines bolt directly into hull with no isolation.

1.JPG

5.JPG

3.JPG

Fuel injection assembly.

2.JPG

Half open slide throttle.

4.JPG

These things are massive, the size of a truck engine, note the two huge oil filters. As you can imagine the oil flow required by these engines is quite high. In between the filters is the seawater fed oil cooler. No harmonic balancer required. The flywheel on these engines is very light as well.

6.JPG

7.JPG

Very solid engine with lots of webbing. The entire engines are pressure die cast. Seawater is fed straight into the engine for cooling. After each race it is flushed and a special fluid is used for storage. Engine design is aluminium wet sleeves coated with Nikasil.

9.JPG

Massive slide throttle assembly hiding under the rags next to some inlet and exhaust cam shafts.

10.JPG

Engine in final stages of rebuilding.

11.JPG

Many components including camshafts, inlet and exhaust valves, springs and retainers, pistons, con-rods, crankshafts, and bearings are custom made for Maritimo to their own specifications. They own a total of eight engines, all converted over to Motec engine management running twin M880's each. Part of the race rules is the engine must be fitted with a 62mm restrictor. With this fitted the engines make 920 horsepower. The engines are required to produce most of this power constantly for the whole race. They rev out to 8200rpm from memory. The sound these things make is on a different level.

Lamborghini do not make these engines any more. From what I gathered Gianfranco Venturelli, who has a lot to do with Class1, purchased the manufacturing tooling off Lamborghini and continues the manufacture of the engines. The oil cooler was developed after the sale, however it has the Lamborghini logo cast into it.

One of their Class 1 boats fitted with twin lambo engines :icon_super: . I'd like to see a road car with an exhaust like that :)

12.JPG

my thanks go to Mick Glenister, Peter McGrath and Bill Barry-Cotter.

Guest skokos
Probably one of the coolest things posted on here!

:iamwithstupid: WOW what kind of numbers do those motors make?

:iamwithstupid: WOW what kind of numbers do those motors make?

920 hp with a 62mm air restrictor, I'm unsure of torque figures. My guess is very broad power and torque curves.

Aluminium liner, titanium inlet valve, conrod and piston. The bare conrod weighs just on 1kg!

8-2-parts.JPG

The very light flywheel.

8-2-fly.JPG

I'll try to get a good audio quality video up soon.

Aluminium liner, titanium inlet valve, conrod and piston. The bare conrod weighs just on 1kg!

8-2-parts.JPG

The very light flywheel.

8-2-fly.JPG

I'll try to get a good audio quality video up soon.

Were any of these parts used in the Diablos? Like the SE30?

There were a pair of Lamborghini offshore engines for sale last year that were failing to sell for 15K. I toyed with the idea of cramming them into a car. Way beyond my skill level, but fun to think about. According to my books, Lamborghini didn't consider the engine viable for auto use because of weight. Is it physically possible to get one in a Diablo? I read in one of my Lamborghini books they did think about putting these in the LM. Anyone know if it ever happened? I hear about it often, but have never seen proof that it was done.

Very impressive. I heard there was this diablo running around with one of these engines?

Very impressive. I heard there was this diablo running around with one of these engines?

No kidding! That will be bada** to the core!

Even if it weighed much more, the 920hp motor would surely make up for it.

Handling was the issue. I am sure it would go like hell, but forget taking fast corners. Whipping around an 8.2 Liter engine designed for boats would be no small task.

• 1 year later...

you weren't kidding that flywheels looks like it could be blown away by a light breeze. Awesome pics seems like a very cool thing to experience

Check out this Lambo boat I took a picture of at the factory, it looked like it had been sitting for years and no one knew anything about it but I thought it was pretty cool looking.

Lambo_boat.jpg

• 1 year later...

Giving this one a bump in hopes I can see the pictures again. Another pair of marine engines just came and went on eBay. I love these engines.

I was fortunate enough to be taken through the Maritimo offshore racing workshop a little while ago. These guys run some Class 1 offshore race boats in Australia as well as racing Internationally in Class 1. They are based on the Gold Coast.

I took some pics with my crappy phone I had on me at the time:

Fully prepared engine ready to be dropped in. Engines bolt directly into hull with no isolation.

1.JPG

5.JPG

3.JPG

Fuel injection assembly.

2.JPG

Half open slide throttle.

4.JPG

These things are massive, the size of a truck engine, note the two huge oil filters. As you can imagine the oil flow required by these engines is quite high. In between the filters is the seawater fed oil cooler. No harmonic balancer required. The flywheel on these engines is very light as well.

6.JPG

7.JPG

Very solid engine with lots of webbing. The entire engines are pressure die cast. Seawater is fed straight into the engine for cooling. After each race it is flushed and a special fluid is used for storage. Engine design is aluminium wet sleeves coated with Nikasil.

9.JPG

Massive slide throttle assembly hiding under the rags next to some inlet and exhaust cam shafts.

10.JPG

Engine in final stages of rebuilding.

11.JPG

Many components including camshafts, inlet and exhaust valves, springs and retainers, pistons, con-rods, crankshafts, and bearings are custom made for Maritimo to their own specifications. They own a total of eight engines, all converted over to Motec engine management running twin M880's each. Part of the race rules is the engine must be fitted with a 62mm restrictor. With this fitted the engines make 920 horsepower. The engines are required to produce most of this power constantly for the whole race. They rev out to 8200rpm from memory. The sound these things make is on a different level.

Lamborghini do not make these engines any more. From what I gathered Gianfranco Venturelli, who has a lot to do with Class1, purchased the manufacturing tooling off Lamborghini and continues the manufacture of the engines. The oil cooler was developed after the sale, however it has the Lamborghini logo cast into it.

One of their Class 1 boats fitted with twin lambo engines :icon_super: . I'd like to see a road car with an exhaust like that :)

12.JPG

my thanks go to Mick Glenister, Peter McGrath and Bill Barry-Cotter.