LP Scotch thread!

Kerplop

Had some Nikka and come Coffey distilled Nikka as well. Both are very smooth and excellent. I felt like the Coffey style had a little more complexity and a spicy finish with a sweet body

image.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had some Nikka and come Coffey distilled Nikka as well. Both are very smooth and excellent. I felt like the Coffey style had a little more complexity and a spicy finish with a sweet body

Funny, I was looking at the coffee Nikka on Friday and was curious. The guy pouring for me was hyping it up, but he had just poured me that Amadore that was horrible. I had my doubts. I'll have to give it a try if it's still around. They sell out quick.

Funny, I was looking at the coffee Nikka on Friday and was curious. The guy pouring for me was hyping it up, but he had just poured me that Amadore that was horrible. I had my doubts. I'll have to give it a try if it's still around. They sell out quick.

So the interesting thing is it's not coffee, but Coffey which is not the coffee bean but rather an different distillation method naked after a guy named Coffey and has nothing to do with coffee.

So the interesting thing is it's not coffee, but Coffey which is not the codaffee bean but rather an different distillation method naked after a guy named Coffee and has nothing to do with coffee.

Good to know. Definitely thought somehow coffee beans had been used. Even more ironic is the fact that the liquor store I was at opened a distillery (New Riff) and share a parking lot. This is visible through glass and I parked right in front of it. :lol2:

post-145816-1430835856.jpg

post-145816-1430835727.jpg

I had always heard it called a continuous or column still and hadn't ever heard it called a coffey still. Learn something new everyday.

• 2 months later...

Some recent pick ups. The cream of the crop were the Mac rare cask (I actually prefer it over the 18 and possibly the 25), the Talisker 18, the 200 year anniversary Ardbeg Perpetuum (peaty taken to the extreme but still smooth), and the Angel's Envy Finished Rye was perhaps the best rye I've ever had. Finished in rum barrels it is pretty much perfect. Get it if you can find it. The Groth Cabernet finished Jefferson was also damn good.

Let downs were the 21 year Linkwood (finished in a quarter cask but just didn't seem all that exceptional), the Redbreast 15 tasted no better than the standard, the Johnny Drum for all the hype was just bad in my opinion.

IMG_20150614_083028_zpswukudn21.jpg

20150730_190434_zpsztogu3vm.jpg

20150625_135756_zps3o2zfqcq.jpg

IMG_20150516_144211_zpsn7cycrdo.jpg

Unfortunately my local tasting bar has been shut down due to some ass hat complaining that his kids had to witness adults drinking liquor...at a liquor store. I have been missing my traditional Friday visits. I at least got to help finish off some of what they had sitting around and it should reopen shortly.

Anyone found anything exciting lately?

Nice update. I've been really pleased with the Jefferson Bourbons. Next I'll try the Presidential.

I've been on a Tequila kick lately and the Don Julio Real is really nice.

Nice update. I've been really pleased with the Jefferson Bourbons. Next I'll try the Presidential.

I too have been away from scotch. I've been into Moscow miles and found fever tree is the hands down best ginger beer. As far as vodka's I found this organic vodka that is really smooth and goes very well in a mule.

I also had some amazing mescal in a mescal bar in zihuateneho, Mexico. It had so much depth and character and was smoky too like a scotch. It was amazing.

The Presidential (21 year) and Presidential Select (25 year) are all very good. The 25 year rye is my favorite of the four. This was one of my last visits to the tasting bar before it closed. :crybaby2:

20150507_154436_zps61v8p3mv.jpg

20150605_151421_zpswql9gnkr.jpg

I at least got the last of the Elijah Craig...and I'm due for some good tequila.

I too have been away from scotch. I've been into Moscow miles and found fever tree is the hands down best ginger beer. As far as vodka's I found this organic vodka that is really smooth and goes very well in a mule.

I also had some amazing mescal in a mescal bar in zihuateneho, Mexico. It had so much depth and character and was smoky too like a scotch. It was amazing.

My buddy got me hooked on Kentucky mules. Just swap bourbon for vodka. Very tasty while lounging around a pool. I'm a fan of the regular mules too. I had an amazing Mezcal tasting at Jose Andres' restaurant China Poblano last year. Sucks, because I haven't been able to find any of the really good bottles I tasted. The Del Magueys were incredible.

Got my dad a 22yr old anCnoc single malt for his birthday. Was absolutely incredible. From vanilla to oranges, it was very complex.

Got my dad a 22yr old anCnoc single malt for his birthday. Was absolutely incredible. From vanilla to oranges, it was very complex.

Sounds like glenmorange. I love glenmorange.

Unfortunately my local tasting bar has been shut down due to some ass hat complaining that his kids had to witness adults drinking liquor...at a liquor store.

:eusa_wall:

I just wanted to share this with you guys. I made my first batch and pretty stoked with the results.

I need one of these.... Where, how, who?! :eek3dance:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not whiskey but Gin, I very much tell you, try the Napua Gin.

How to drink:

Glass full of ice

4cl Napua Gin

12cl Fever Tree Indian Tonic

Rosemary branch

~5 fresh local cranberries.

Had a Macallan 30yr over the weekend.... WOW!!!

My favourite is usually the Lagavulin 16yr, by far, but that was Mac30yr was exceptional. Strong as the Islay, very oaky, but smooth as velvet. Incredible.

My favourite is usually the Lagavulin 16yr

I only recently tried this recently about a month ago and I was blown away as well!