Renntech SLR Vbox Results

VBUGKING

As many of you know, I recently got my SLR back with the Renntech ecu, pulley and intercooler mods installed. I have had it back for a few days now, and I have really been enjoying it. The drivability of the car is exactly like stock, and I haven’t experienced a single hiccup or problem with the upgrade. With the power delivery still very linear, it is hard to feel the extra power. I mean how much can a 60rwhp jump really make anyways? So, I decided to hook up the Vbox and see how much difference the mods have made in acceleration tests.

With it being 37 degrees outside, I decided to do some 60-130mph runs first. The best I had obtained when the car was stock was 7.24 seconds. After driving the car for about 15 miles to make sure the tires and engine were warmed up, I found a clear, level spot to do a run. Up until this point, I had nearly forgotten I was in an SLR. While mindlessly cruising, I could have sworn I was in my SL65. I left traction control on, slowed down to about 50 mph, downshifted into 2nd gear, and rolled onto the throttle. In unison, the exhaust note rumbled, the supercharger let out a big whine, and as the carbon fiber chassis vibrated, the car came alive. By the time I reached 60mph, I was going full throttle and the car was vigorously rocketing ahead. I let the car shift itself, twice, as I kept an eye on the road ahead and on the speed on the Vbox display. After reaching just past 130mph, I hit the brakes hard, and the back spoiler flew upwards. As I sunk back into a normal cruising speed of about 80mph, I glanced over at the numbers on the Vbox.

60-130mph 6.6 seconds (6.65, 2% decline)

Impressed with the times, I decided to do a couple more runs. Next one I tried was with the traction control off and starting in 2nd gear. I felt the rear end kick out quite a bit before hooking up (most certainly due to the cold weather), and the time was 6.8 seconds. I also tried starting in 3rd gear with the traction control off. I didn’t lose traction, but that too gave me a time of 6.8 seconds. With my gas gauge yelling at me, I decided to take it easy on the way back home. I wasn’t sure if I should even attempt a 0-60, 0-100mph run in the cold weather....

As I got closer to home and closer to the spot where I normally do 0-100mph runs, curiosity got the best of me. I turned traction control off and stopped. I floored the gas and the smoked the tires a good bit before letting off. With the tires nice and warm, I circled back around, came to a full stop and waited for the Vbox to reset itself. Due to the low temps, I decided that I better leave the traction control on and put the car in comfort mode so that it would start in 2nd gear. Without expecting much I launched off the line and let the car do all the work. After hitting about 105mph I slowed down and took a look at the Vbox display.

0-10 0.3

0-20 1.0

0-30 1.5

0-40 2.0

0-50 2.6

0-60 3.2 (3.18)

0-70 3.8

0-80 4.7

0-90 5.6

0-100 6.5 (6.47)

I decided to make this my only run of the day from a stop and headed home. My best stock numbers were 3.3 and 6.9 respectively. Those were obtained in 53 degree weather and in sport mode which starts in 1st gear. Rear tires are still the same Toyo R888 road race tires that I was using before the mods. They do hook better than the stock PS2s, but they aren't drag radials. They can be driven in the rain and have great handling characteristics.

I am extremely impressed with the Renntech upgrades, and the SLR's ability to put down the power from a stop even in cold weather. Under less than ideal conditions I was able to significantly improve all the acceleration numbers from when the car was stock (which were performed in ideal conditions). I do think I will be able to achieve better results on Vbox runs in the future. I am confident that the car will run 10s at the strip and trap well over 130mph. This is how the car should have come from the factory.

Here is some info on my car and the upgrade for those of you who haven’t seen it.

http://renntechmercedes.blogspot.com/2009/...lr-on-dyno.html

Also, here's some pictures of the stock vs. upgraded dyno sheet, the Vbox display for the 0-100mph run, and the graph of the 60-130mph run.

Aaron

post-6539-1232845984_thumb.jpg

post-6539-1232846005_thumb.jpg

post-6539-1232846790_thumb.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice! What people need to realise is that 0-80mph the car still runs as stock. The TCU will NOT allow full power until the car hits 3rd gear. The power mods will show from 80mph on, and the power is there...

from 80-100mph you clipped .43 off the 0-100 time

from 80-130 you clipped .59 off the stock time...

Pretty amazing to be able better times like that by using full power throughout, let alone when you are still limited by a computer.. Imagine what it would run if you could unlock the TCU and put slicks on it.

As of now, you are just .3 off my best 60-130 time in the TTG and .5 seconds faster than my best 0-100mph.

Thanks Allan,

The power is still limited in the 1st and 2nd gears, but its less restrictive than stock. When the car was stock I could turn traction control off and at 50mph in 2nd gear, the car would not lose traction even in colder weather than today. Today the car lost traction pretty well at 50mph in 2nd gear with traction control off. My 0-60 time as well as my 0-80 time was much better than stock, and I am going to be able to improve those even further with warmer temps.

Aaron

Those are amazing times you got there. Doing 0-60 in 3.2 is something and 60-130 in 6.6...wow! Can anyone tell me what a stock Murcie does 60-130 in?

Those are some impressive numbers considering the temperature!

Thanks for the write up and time to put it all down for us - excellent!!!

Rich

Those are amazing times you got there. Doing 0-60 in 3.2 is something and 60-130 in 6.6...wow! Can anyone tell me what a stock Murcie does 60-130 in?

Acichelli got 7.85 in his LP.

Thanks Allan,

The power is still limited in the 1st and 2nd gears, but its less restrictive than stock. When the car was stock I could turn traction control off and at 50mph in 2nd gear, the car would not lose traction even in colder weather than today. Today the car lost traction pretty well at 50mph in 2nd gear with traction control off. My 0-60 time as well as my 0-80 time was much better than stock, and I am going to be able to improve those even further with warmer temps.

Aaron

Really? Are you talking on your new tires? My SLR would lose traction at 50mph in 2nd pretty bad in colder weather, but then again that was on stock tires. After mods I felt my car was faster than the EVO 700 997TT I was in and nipping at SECC Joes 660rwhp EVO 700 Gt2. He beat me by about 2 cars in a 40-140 race when the SLR was stock, and we never got to race again. You are nipping at his heels as he ran a 6.45-60-130 with 0 shifts.... I wonder how your car will compare to your swiss cheese 997TT Tip? Didnt you run 133 in it or something in it? in AZ the Evo 997 when i saw it was running 130, and SECC Joes car would usually trap around 134mph.

Acichelli got 7.85 in his LP.

I reckon thats where I'm at. What does the Lp560 do it in? Anyone timed it? I was neck to neck with the LP560 upto 4th gear till we ran out of road. Thanks.

I reckon thats where I'm at. What does the Lp560 do it in? Anyone timed it? I was neck to neck with the LP560 upto 4th gear till we ran out of road. Thanks.

No offense, but Id say you arent. Rolling races have variables to them, like for example some one getting a slight jump. In that slight instance one car can be immidietley going 4-5mph faster than the other..

As an indicator... Dwiggs's modified Murci.. took over 9 seconds...

wow! very nice! :o

but obviously something positive is still happened in the first couple gears, since your 0-80 time is 0.3-0.5 seconds quicker than when stock.

when do u reckon you can do some 1/4 mile runs?

wow! very nice! :o

but obviously something positive is still happened in the first couple gears, since your 0-80 time is 0.3-0.5 seconds quicker than when stock.

when do u reckon you can do some 1/4 mile runs?

It could also just be...hmmm... that he was able to better a previous time and that the car had better in it? The cars pulls power when stock, it continues to do so modded.

Really? Are you talking on your new tires? My SLR would lose traction at 50mph in 2nd pretty bad in colder weather, but then again that was on stock tires. After mods I felt my car was faster than the EVO 700 997TT I was in and nipping at SECC Joes 660rwhp EVO 700 Gt2. He beat me by about 2 cars in a 40-140 race when the SLR was stock, and we never got to race again. You are nipping at his heels as he ran a 6.45-60-130 with 0 shifts.... I wonder how your car will compare to your swiss cheese 997TT Tip? Didnt you run 133 in it or something in it? in AZ the Evo 997 when i saw it was running 130, and SECC Joes car would usually trap around 134mph.

Yes everything I have talked about so far in the thread is with the new tires. They make a big difference in traction. When I refer to my car as stock, I am talking about pre Renntech but with the new tires. When the car was stock, but had the new tires on it, I would not lose traction in 2nd gear at 50mph with the traction control off in 30 degree weather. Now with the Renntech stuff done, in 37 degree weather, I do lose traction. The car is definitely more powerful in 2nd gear now than it was stock, it may still be limited, but its less restrictive than pre Renntech.

I believe from a roll the Renntech SLR is about dead even with my swiss cheese 997TT tip car. From a stop it will still be crushed due to it's AWD and incredible launching ability. I trapped 132.65 in my swiss cheese car, I think the SLR would trap right around there now. I am quite sure Joe's GT2 on race gas is slightly faster than my Renntech SLR, I am quite certain I could achieve a better 60-130mph than 6.45 if I had his car.

Aaron

Thanks for the write up Aaron! Glad you are happy with your upgrades. The more I hear about this car, the more impressed I become. It's now a "must have" car in the future...

No offense, but Id say you arent. Rolling races have variables to them, like for example some one getting a slight jump. In that slight instance one car can be immidietley going 4-5mph faster than the other..

As an indicator... Dwiggs's modified Murci.. took over 9 seconds...

No offence taken, I am here to learn and I love learning this kinda stuff.

Wtf 9 seconds!!!! :eusa_wall:

I am continually impressed by the times that car puts down even stock. I was not as impressed when I drove the car, but maybe it was because my expectations were very high. Though I prefer the power delivery of a well designed turbo system, the low end shove of the blower is something amazing.

No offence taken, I am here to learn and I love learning this kinda stuff.

Wtf 9 seconds!!!! :eusa_wall:

Well Acichellis F430 took over 10 seconds for the same run, and my Murci only beat Alex's F430 by approx 1 car in a similar race. So Stock is more than likely close to 10 seconds.

Alot of people have told me they didnt like the SLR when they test drove it. I believe it's somewhat because the steering and brakes take some getting used to. Also with the chassis being carbon fiber there is a unique vibration when you accelerate. The power delivery is so linear and smooth, it doesnt feel like it's accelerating as fast as it is. I think anyone considering the SLR would need to drive it for an extended period of time (longer than a typical test drive) before they appreciated its full capabilities. I bought the car sight unseen from Lambo Atlanta, traded in my F430 for it. I drove 2 hours to Chattanooga in the F430 while my Lambo Atl guy drove the SLR from Atlanta to Chattanooga, and we made the swap. I immediately had a 2 hour drive home in the SLR, and had plenty of time to really get to know it and appreciate it. After getting used to the car for a while, I found that the steering is very direct, the brakes are phenomenal, the handling is amazing, and the composure of the car is on another level compared to any other car I have driven.

Aaron

Alot of people have told me they didnt like the SLR when they test drove it. I believe it's somewhat because the steering and brakes take some getting used to. Also with the chassis being carbon fiber there is a unique vibration when you accelerate. The power delivery is so linear and smooth, it doesnt feel like it's accelerating as fast as it is. I think anyone considering the SLR would need to drive it for an extended period of time (longer than a typical test drive) before they appreciated its full capabilities. I bought the car sight unseen from Lambo Atlanta, traded in my F430 for it. I drove 2 hours to Chattanooga in the F430 while my Lambo Atl guy drove the SLR from Atlanta to Chattanooga, and we made the swap. I immediately had a 2 hour drive home in the SLR, and had plenty of time to really get to know it and appreciate it. After getting used to the car for a while, I found that the steering is very direct, the brakes are phenomenal, the handling is amazing, and the composure of the car is on another level compared to any other car I have driven.

Aaron

And i told you so :icon_mrgreen:

Aaron

I know it doesnt neccesarily compare, but I had the same feeling when I first picked up my buddies CLK63 BS. I drove it off the lot to go get lunch for 10 minutes and thought it wasnt a very easy/fun/comfortable car to drive. But after lunch i had a nice 3.5 hours in the thing and instantly loved it when I saw what it was capable of! I can only imagine what the SLR must be like!

Aaron

Well said Aaron. I didn't have any issues with the steering, but the brakes were very grabby, the engine sounded awful, and it did not feel as fast as the numbers indicate. But I'm sure with some time in the seat, it would become more natural. Still, the SLR doesn't ignite any passion in me and I don't desire to own one, but that's simply one person's opinion, and I readily acknowledge the greatness of the vehicle.

RESPECT!

Aaron, excellent times looks like it's neck and neck with my 6.0.

Did you get your Gallardo back from Jasons yet? If so, any Vbox times on it since the upgrades.

Thanks man, I hope to get some better 0-60 and 0-100mph when I get some warmer weather. I have not gotten my TTG back from Jason yet. It's been gone for 4 months now, and I miss it dearly. It should be a whole new animal when I get it back.

Aaron

I took the SLR out for another Vbox run, this time I wanted to do a quarter mile. Weather was around the same as last time, 35ish degrees and sunny. I warmed the car and the tires up thoroughly before doing the run. I launched in comfort mode again, and got nearly the same exact 0-60mph and 0-100mph times I got before. I hit the brakes at about 135mph.

0-10 0.3

0-20 1.0

0-30 1.5

0-40 2.0

0-50 2.6

0-60 3.2 (3.16)

0-70 3.8

0-80 4.7

0-90 5.6

0-100 6.5 (6.48)

0-110 7.5

0-120 8.7

0-130 10.2

Accel Distance results

Distance() Time(s) @Speed(mph)

0-60' 01.9 38.1

0-330' 04.9 82.6

0-660' 07.2 107.6

0-1320' 10.9 134.5

I am pretty impressed with the times considering the cold weather. Hopefully I can shave some time off when it warms up.

Aaron

post-6539-1233428019_thumb.jpg

post-6539-1233428037_thumb.jpg

post-6539-1233428056_thumb.jpg

post-6539-1233428075_thumb.jpg

I took the SLR out for another Vbox run, this time I wanted to do a quarter mile. Weather was around the same as last time, 35ish degrees and sunny. I warmed the car and the tires up thoroughly before doing the run. I launched in comfort mode again, and got nearly the same exact 0-60mph and 0-100mph times I got before. I hit the brakes at about 135mph.

0-10 0.3

0-20 1.0

0-30 1.5

0-40 2.0

0-50 2.6

0-60 3.2 (3.16)

0-70 3.8

0-80 4.7

0-90 5.6

0-100 6.5 (6.48)

0-110 7.5

0-120 8.7

0-130 10.2

Accel Distance results

Distance() Time(s) @Speed(mph)

0-60' 01.9 38.1

0-330' 04.9 82.6

0-660' 07.2 107.6

0-1320' 10.9 134.5

I am pretty impressed with the times considering the cold weather. Hopefully I can shave some time off when it warms up.

Aaron

Haha VERY nice! A GTT on pump will have a VERY hard time with the SLR.