Converting my Gallardo to RWD

Kisco

This idea keeps on poppingin my head.....Someone tell me where my line of thinking is skewed.

If I just take out the drive shaft ONLY, and not take out the diff or the half shafts, wouldn't that be much better and help the car keep the weight distribution close??? This way, I won't have toworry about front end "flotay" feel or anything like that.

I mean, sure I might be robbing my self from very few HP given that the engine still has to work a tad to rotate the front half shafts, but it would be minimal. Is this a good idea or am I missing something??

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buy a ferrari... the AWD is the heart of all the lambo...

4Wheel drive has nothing to do with Lambos heart and soul, but everything to do with safety.

buy a ferrari... the AWD is the heart of all the lambo...

i disagree ...i would like to try a RWD murcie

4Wheel drive has nothing to do with Lambos heart and soul, but everything to do with safety.

:iamwithstupid:

The only companies that have AWD wrapped in their DNA are Subaru and Audi. These companies would emotionally die if they could no longer do AWD.

With all the fancy driver's aids available, I don't see why AWD is absolutely mandatory, esp. with cars like 599s, Enzos, Plastic mess-06/ZR1s, Vipers, Ford GTs, etc. etc. that get by just fine with RWD.

i disagree ...i would like to try a RWD murcie

I have the feeling that a car engineered to be AWD from the outset might not be ideal if you just converted it to RWD.

It's the only explanation I have for the alleged issues of RWD for Murcies and possibly Gallardos.

If they were engineered from the outset to be RWD, I'm sure they'd be just fine.

Going RWD. Safety is not an issue if you are an experienced driver. It does become a safety issue if you are an average driver.

For Lambo the preference for 4WD actually has a lot to do with identity. It's a unique selling point. The more distinct they are from Ferrari the better.

Converting to RWD in Gallardo is not quite the same I think as in the Murcie. The AWD system in the murcie is very simple and mechanical. The system in the Gallardo is different and a little more sophisticated. It's got AUDI's EDL diff lock at the front I think. Actually to my understanding the Audi EDL is just using the brakes to control an open diff - not rocket science actually. Just heavy reliance on wheel sensors and eletronics to manage the front using the brakes. I think if you remove the shafts and don't touch the sensors it should be ok.

The centre diff I think is still viscous coupling which is fully mechanical and self regulating like the Murcie though the powertrain layout in the Gallardo is not the same as in the Murcie.

If you are a good driver by all means convert to RWD. You'll probably enjoy it more because the car will have sharper front end turn-in. If you're an average driver please be careful especially with your right foot. Race drivers are actually VERY SMOOTH with their right foot and are confident when power oversteering.

This idea keeps on poppingin my head.....Someone tell me where my line of thinking is skewed.

If I just take out the drive shaft ONLY, and not take out the diff or the half shafts, wouldn't that be much better and help the car keep the weight distribution close??? This way, I won't have toworry about front end "flotay" feel or anything like that.

I mean, sure I might be robbing my self from very few HP given that the engine still has to work a tad to rotate the front half shafts, but it would be minimal. Is this a good idea or am I missing something??

Have the car jacked up and take a look, also I think you should check with Mr Vroom, he did it before. On another note, go take up some driving classes to improve your driving if your going to push it hard in the corners after the conversion.

I have the feeling that a car engineered to be AWD from the outset might not be ideal if you just converted it to RWD.

It's the only explanation I have for the alleged issues of RWD for Murcies and possibly Gallardos.

If they were engineered from the outset to be RWD, I'm sure they'd be just fine.

Not really, the Murcie and Diablo SV share the same chasis accept that the Diablo SV is RWD

I converted 2 996tt (one stock and one with 650hp ) to rwd, for me at least being an older guy, I do not like AWD in any car. I bought the Gallardo knowing I was going to end up converting it at some point. I also do not drive my cars with any traction control on. I am not saying I am the worlds greatest driver, I am just a guy born in the 50's who learned to drive on cars that had no electronic gizmos. My supercharged 997 has had all that stuff taken out of it, and that is what makes driving it so much fun. I'm sure the Gallardo will be a blast in RWD

Have the car jacked up and take a look, also I think you should check with Mr Vroom, he did it before. On another note, go take up some driving classes to improve your driving if your going to push it hard in the corners after the conversion.

Not really, the Murcie and Diablo SV share the same chasis accept that the Diablo SV is RWD

On another note, go take up some driving classes to improve your driving if your going to push it hard in the corners after the conversion.

Its not really about taking classes to improve my driving (I am an OK driver).

I mentioned the "floaty" feel not because I am concerned about my driving, but because I am concerned about the feel of the car. Even if I was the worlds greatest driver, I wouldn't want to take out the car everyday thinking to myself "god, this car feels unstable and crappy". So it is a feeling thing, not a driver thing.

But I have yet to hear from anyone that has gone RWD in a Gallardo. There has to be someone out there that can help me in understanding how the car feels in rwd mode? Is it too light in the front? Will I need suspension mods? Or, will I be OK by converting to RWD? I don't want to convert to RWD and then spend another 5K in mods to stablize it (again, not a driver issue, but a feeling issue).

Mr. Vroom, can you say a word in this? Thank you.

Go ahead and try RWD, if you don't like, you can easily switch back. If you do, I would recommend some suspension tweaking, as the car does NOT feel as planted in RWD, steering is lighter, and the front end floats a tad at speed. However, I ran the car to over 200mph w/o any problems, and also did a few roll ons past 170 mph.

Bernard, when you say "suspension tweaking", what exactly do you mean/recommend? Are you talking about getting an aftermarket set of springs/shocks?

Bernard, when you say "suspension tweaking", what exactly do you mean/recommend? Are you talking about getting an aftermarket set of springs/shocks?

Yeah, but I can't recommend any products. PM monarchy, I believe he installed some adjustable coilovers.

Yeah, but I can't recommend any products. PM monarchy, I believe he installed some adjustable coilovers.

Thank you!!!

Why ANYONE would keep their G or M AWD (EXCEPT for the TT guys) is simply beyond me. The difference is so great and so amazing, I don't see how anyone could NOT do it and love it (unless they sucked at driving completely). There is no better "bang-for-your-buck" mod out there. 10% HP gains, almost 100lbs. off in a G and for about $400.

Also, there are no insurance issues with it in the US.

What does that tweaking actually mean, readjusting the stiffness on the front/rear shocks?

You can take my reply with a grain of salt because i dont have a lambo (yet) and i obviously havent converted one to RWD. But if you like the driving dynamic of RWD better than AWD in your past experiences or you just want to find out if you do...i say do it. It doesnt cost that much to make the change or to change back.

The perfomance of the car should not be negativly effected in fact say they have more "feel" and that the car is more alive. although you will have somewhat less traction it not like you will have none...there are TONS of cars with equal to greater HP and torque numbers come RWD from the factor and they have awesome performance. (Every Ferrari Ever, SLR's 600+hp, Vipers 450-600-1000+hp lots of guys drive 1000rwhp vipers on the street, Ford Gt's 550-1000+hp, every decent porsche read GT2, GT3, CGT's 600+hp, GT1, Zonda's, Koenigseggs, Saleens, the list goes on and on.)

AWD is relatively new to lamborghini...every lambo up until the Diablo VT's was RWD, lots of owners still long for a RWD drive version alla the SV. So i say do it, the only reason i might not would be for insurance purposes if that was going to be a problem.

Thanks guys.

It seems like there has been a few people tha have done this with the Murci and really like it, but not many with the Gallardo's. I think I might give it a try, it won't hurt. I have read multiple times now that the front end might feel a little light at high speeds, but I don't really plan on doing high speed events very oftn so that wont matter all that much.

The only thing that keeps on knocking on my mind is the extra 40 rwhp or so I will achieve and the ~80-100 lbs I will lose. How can I resist that??.. :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks again for everyones help and opinions, I will keep you all updated.

Looks like I will be getting the car back from the shop with a full RWD conversion.

Once I get it back, I will strap it to the dyno, and then later on redyno it again with EVOMS tune. Stay tuned for all the reports.

Looks like I will be getting the car back from the shop with a full RWD conversion.

Once I get it back, I will strap it to the dyno, and then later on redyno it again with EVOMS tune. Stay tuned for all the reports.

:icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

Looking forward to the update Kisco!!!

Right on Kisco! Sounds like you will be the first Gallardo to do the RWD conversion. I am seriously considering doing my Murcie in the next month! I have the right Lambo Tech to do it...he also belongs to this board. Please keep us posted!

Right on Kisco! Sounds like you will be the first Gallardo to do the RWD conversion. I am seriously considering doing my Murcie in the next month! I have the right Lambo Tech to do it...he also belongs to this board. Please keep us posted!

Go for it!

Charlie, just an FYI:

The owner of the shop that has my car right now has a bunch of exotics. One of them is a Murci which is RWD. He said he would NEVER go back to AWD after doing the conversion to his Murcie. Just a heads up..;)