Converting my Gallardo to RWD

Kisco

Ya, I don't think we are the first ones to do the conversion on the G. But, we might be the first ones to do the conversion and not switch back to the AWD (At least I wont since I am not going TT anytime soon)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder whether I was one of the first to do the RWD conversion on a Murci. I did mine back in September of 2005.

Well, I am picking up my car tomorrow from the shop. After more exhaust drama (LOC exhaust did not fit on my car. I specifically asked the owner if it will fit an 04, and he said yes. Turns out it was an honest mistake, I guess) I just purchased a Quicksilver SS exhaust that my shop carries and called it a day. It will be coupled with my cat bypass pipes.

Tomorrow night I will update this thread with the folllwing:

1) A possible video of a 997 TT race (looks like it will be raining in OH, so that might not work)

2) An audio clip of the new QS SS exhaust setup

3) Scanned dyno graph figures (Car has 2WD, QS SS exhaust, cat bypass pipes, BMC filters, Bored TB's)

4) Scanned final weight figures with 1/4-1/2 tank of gas

Stay tuned... :icon_thumleft:

Your rear tires aren't gonna last very long. :icon_mrgreen: Even with AWD the rears wear quickly, I can't imagine how they'd fare with RWD. I drive my G very gently and I don't think the rears will last to the 7500mi service. For someone who's doing all these performance mods, I assume you're not gonna baby yours so I think your rears would only last 4-5k mi at best

Your rear tires aren't gonna last very long. :icon_mrgreen: Even with AWD the rears wear quickly, I can't imagine how they'd fare with RWD. I drive my G very gently and I don't think the rears will last to the 7500mi service. For someone who's doing all these performance mods, I assume you're not gonna baby yours so I think your rears would only last 4-5k mi at best

:icon_mrgreen:

:eusa_think:

Hmm, ambitious agenda.....let's see if the Kisco Kid can knock off half of that punch list. btw, the race with the 997 is worth double points. :icon_thumleft:

:eusa_think:

Hmm, ambitious agenda.....let's see if the Kisco Kid can knock off half of that punch list. btw, the race with the 997 is worth double points. :icon_thumleft:

And if I get it all done, you will give me a ride in your car when I am in FL in 2 weeks!!.. :icon_mrgreen:

And if I get it all done, you will give me a ride in your car when I am in FL in 2 weeks!!.. :icon_mrgreen:

My pleasure dude, hit me up when you are in town.

• 9 months later...

Lousy! Not as stable, felt slower, and the car had little traction in 1st and 2nd gear. I switched back when I got the TTs, but would have switched back anyway even if I didn't get a TT setup.

Lousy! Not as stable, felt slower, and the car had little traction in 1st and 2nd gear. I switched back when I got the TTs, but would have switched back anyway even if I didn't get a TT setup.

even after lowering and alignment?

• 1 year later...

Bringin this thread back as I just bought an '06 G SE and am thinking about the rwd conversion. Kisco, I'd appreciate an overview of your total experience as I intent to TT but not for awhile. Thought putting in a Fabspeed exhaust, intake, ecu kit along with removing the front half shafts would lose me 100lbs evenly and have the rwd. Sounds like you were very unhappy with the result?

Bringin this thread back as I just bought an '06 G SE and am thinking about the rwd conversion. Kisco, I'd appreciate an overview of your total experience as I intent to TT but not for awhile. Thought putting in a Fabspeed exhaust, intake, ecu kit along with removing the front half shafts would lose me 100lbs evenly and have the rwd. Sounds like you were very unhappy with the result?

• 2 years later...

@kisco

you said the traction in 1st and 2nd gear is not good?

i drive the 550-2 and there was a difference to the 06 spyder but it was not that bad!

have you got step by step pictures from your conversion?

bye

wolfgang

ps: if you remove the drive shaft from the front transmission - does the awd system not automaticly send power to the front? i dont know the working of the awd but is there no clutch to devide the power where it needed?

• 1 year later...

after 5 years I finally had the front diff, drive shafts and tail shaft removed.

1000 times better. no front end push when turning hard at slow speed.

steering is lighter.

steering doesn't want to snap back to neutral as much.

just much nicer and more urgency through the gears as you would expect with less weight and less resistance in having to move less moving parts.