Electronic Issue

Shamile

Next....

I then pulled the relay board itself and flipped it over. You can pull the back covers off and this exposes all the wiring. ( sooo much better than the circuit board crap in my Testarossa fuse box )

S7301064.JPG

I put the ignition in pos II and then wiggled all the wires to see if the warning lights would give a flash...even for a second. Nope...all good. OK, put that all back together and proceed.

S7301065.JPG

BTW,

When you look at your fuses, you see some mounted sideways in metal clips just like the live fues....but no description on the cover or owners manual. When I flipped the board, they just use the metal clips to mount the SPARES. These sideways fuses are not connected....they just use the same metal pin retainer as a live fuse.....Hmmmm another mystery solved.

The next thing to do was to check the internals of the GFA itself. I opened up the box and looked for any broken joints from the connectors and any burn spots. Nope....all good.

S7301066.JPG

Next, I reconnected the exposed GFA back into the car. I then put the ignition in pos II and ran my finger ( like strumming a guitar string ) up and down the connection points to the GFA circuit board...while watching for a flash of warning lights on the dash face. I then wiggled ( very slightly ) any exposed wire running across the board including any surface mounted cap or transistor.

Nope....no flash.

OK, next thing to check will be all voltage levels on all the connector pins to the GFA key on & key off.

Shamile

Is your stereo stock? You could have a bad ground somewhere in your system if it's not. If you've never touched the stereo system, I would swap out the alternator with a heavy duty one. I used a shop called the Mechanical Man in Phelan, CA (mechman.com) for my 97 roadster. 225 amp alt (P/N 20-325-63G-1G) cost me $534 in June of 07 plus $50 for an adapter bracket, $35 for adapter plug, and $48 for 5' each of black and red cables.

Is your stereo stock? You could have a bad ground somewhere in your system if it's not. If you've never touched the stereo system, I would swap out the alternator with a heavy duty one. I used a shop called the Mechanical Man in Phelan, CA (mechman.com) for my 97 roadster. 225 amp alt (P/N 20-325-63G-1G) cost me $534 in June of 07 plus $50 for an adapter bracket, $35 for adapter plug, and $48 for 5' each of black and red cables.

Thanks for the tip Gill. My stereo is stock alpine. I do have an in dash multi disk changer but that's just the head unit. I don't really turn on the stereo as it can't compete with the full quicksilver system V 12 melody. :)

I wonder, I did have a problem about 4 months ago where the stereo would turn on by itself. I would go into the garage and the stereo would be playing. I thought at first it was an errant garage door signal from a neighbors house remotely turning it on but it also happened at work. I removed the removable faceplate and put some black electrical tape on the pin socket. Since I don't use the stereo, it doesn't matter...if I want to listen too it, I can always peel off the tape.

Good point, I'll pass this by Mike. You never know....it's always silly things.

Shamile

Dear Lamborghinisti,

Well, I've pretty well got to the end of the road.

S7301091.JPG

Here we go....test each pin coming to and from the GFA

I pulled the GFA and tested all the voltages on the connectors in pos II and run. I faxed them to Evans Automotive and both Mike and George saw nothing out of the ordinary.

In the mean time, I had sent them my GFA and George plugged it in to his personal 97.5 VT Roadster....same results.....bad GFA.

This week George is going to put it on his scope and see if it is something repairable....yeah, yeah....grasping at straws. ($3800 new )

I was concerned that something in my car zapped the GFA and putting a new one without checking would just be repeating the problem. Especially since they both say they've never seen a bad GFA.

George and Mike both figure that age may just be catching up with it....just like the early LIE computers.

Can you imagine a murci in 10-12 years and all those computer modules...Yikes !

...a carb countach is looking sort of good right now :D

I tried posting a list of the voltages but excel files won't upload. I'll take a picture of the list and post it later.

Shamile

Dear Lamborghinisti,

I tried posting a list of the voltages but excel files won't upload. I'll take a picture of the list and post it later.

GFA.gif

GFA2.gif

Well, now I have to wait to see what George & Mike find.

Shamile

Dear Lamborghinisti,

Well, that's all she wrote.....

It's a bad GFA and it cost me $ 230.00 to tell me that. :D

No seriously.... George went through the unit with a fine tooth comb to make sure it wasn't just a bad connection. He oscilloscoped the board, re soldered the power connectors, microscoped the PCB and did a bunch if twist flex tricks his experience has taught him. He has basically narrowed it down to a bad IC chip on the dash lights/ warning lights circuit....all the other functions checked out OK.

George thinks it's just age catching up with it.....yep, it has to be mine.

Oh well, a new GFA is needed. It's just too bad this stuff can't be repaired. Did I mention how much I hate this computerized crap?! But he doesn't think anything from my car zapped the unit...no burns or hot spots anywhere. At least that's a relief....I can put a new GFA with confidence.....oh, that's funny.....confidence & Lamborghini in the same sentence. :D

Yes yes....I still love the car....damn intoxicating sexy lines...making me spend all my money on her. Dollar bills in strippers g strings would be a cheaper hobby.

Shamile

Vote for sticky of this thread, too much technical information and photographs to let it fall to page 9.

Dear Lamborghinisti,

Well, that's all she wrote.....

sentence. :D

Yes yes....I still love the car....damn intoxicating sexy lines...making me spend all my money on her. Dollar bills in strippers g strings would be a cheaper hobby.

Shamile

Now thats funny