Mini Cooper S, or Smart fortwo

VENOMIZ

I want to purchase either a Mini Cooper S or a Smart, however, I cannot make up my mind just yet. I'm not worried about accidents or safety, I'm more concerned on which car will be more enjoyable, and make me feel alive, not bored after a week all the while finding parking. I love the styling of both vehicles, although the mini cooper I can modify/style to fit my liking, and the Smart will squeeze just about anywhere I want to park. I have an SL55 and a Viper, so I'm not looking for something fast or luxurious. I'm looking for enjoyment from a small car I can park and drive in the city. Last thing I want is to be bored.

Thanks!

I think this was posted in the wrong forum. Get the Cooper - the smart is a deathwish on wheels!

have you read the latest Robb Report on car of the year? The smart was pretty much a waste of a drive the only good thing is fuel economy and if you are looking for fun than the mini is the way to go. I bought my wife the mini cooper S for christmas one year and when I am need to take her car it is enjoyable.

I know you are considering only these two cars, but if you want to broaden your choices, the Volkswagen GTI is a fantastic car as well. I have had mine for a year and have been very satisfied. Its not as small inside as your two cars, and its plenty quick.

I had terrible luck with my personal MINI, that being said, I would pick the MINI over a smart, the smart is a joke, and cant really be used in the US for any good reason. Its too small, unsafe, and unstable.

If driving is your main requirement, then the Mini is a better car hands down.

If parking is your main requirement , then the Smart cannot be beat.

We live in SF, and of the 5 cars that we own, the Smart car is by far our car of choice for the city. Nothing feels better than finding a small space in a congested part of town.

The mini does park well too... just not as well!

The Smart is a really boring car, but that is not the worst part, it is a damn coffin on wheels. I would not even want to imagine being hit by one of those tanks you call SUVs, you drive over there in the US.

The Mini on the other hand drives surprisingly good, and it is easy and not expensive to mod. You could get the JCW Mini which i hear is even better.

If driving is your main requirement, then the Mini is a better car hands down.

If parking is your main requirement , then the Smart cannot be beat.

We live in SF, and of the 5 cars that we own, the Smart car is by far our car of choice for the city. Nothing feels better than finding a small space in a congested part of town.

The mini does park well too... just not as well!

As a NYer I can relate to parking issues, and everyone here automatically voting Mini probably hasn't had to look for a parking space in years if ever. :icon_mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong, the Mini is great and blows away the Smart for obvious reasons. But if you already have some real cars, it could be fun having something like a Smart.

Then again if you're a real NY commuter you shouldn't be using a car. However, S.F. is not as commuter friendly as NY. And I could see the Smart fitting in well with SF traffic patterns...

And regarding the "death trap" issue, let me ask a question:

How does a Smart car compare to an early '70s Beetle in terms of power, handling, and braking?

If it's comparable, this car is far from a death trap.

Surely it's not a Volvo, but neither are motorcycles....and a drunk driver running a light can still kill you in your Volvo XC90, Audi Q7, or whatever is supposedly the safest vehicle you can buy.