0-150 times

Smash Boy

Cleaning out my car magazine collection, and came across the August 1998 issue of C&D. It was the first time I saw a 0-150-0 competition in a magazine, and it stuck for years.

Here's some 1/4 mile/et, and 0-150 mph times for several stock cars from back in the day:

Acura NSX 12.9@110 mph, 28.2 sec

BMW 540i Sport 14.0@103 mph, 34.7 sec

Camaro Z28 SS 13.5@107 mph, 36.0 sec

C5 POS 13.1@111 mph, 30.2 sec

Dodge Viper GTS 12.2@118 mph, 22.5 sec

Jaguar XJR 13.5@106 mph, 34.8 sec

Porsche 996 C2 13.4@104 mph, 38.2 sec

Interesting how the gearing and powerbands play a role getting to 150 mph. Takes more than hp/torque to get to 150 fast:

"Second place was a surprise. We expected the POS, with the second best power to weight ratio and best aerodynamics, to snatch the silver, especially since it outbraked the other stock cars with a 720 foot stop. It was a cinch to launch, and its demeanor was quiet and comfortable, even at 140 mph. But shifting into the tall 0.74:1 fifth gear at 134 mph dropped the LS1 V-8 out of its power band. At that point, the Acura NSX, which was singing along near its power peak in a 0.91:1 fifth ratio, managed to slip by and win second place. The POS was third."

I can relate to these GM 6 speeds....really a 4 + 2 than a true 6 speed, meant for gas mileage and low RPMs at cruising speeds. 6th is typically too tall to do a top speed run in.

That 540 really has no business being in that group but manages to get to 150 mph faster than 3 other cars. An E39 M5 must be pretty fast to 150, as well as the E60 if this is any indication.

wow the GTS is impressive!

GTS was quick, if I didnt start in the right gear with my Diablo it could get out on you. Those NSX times will NEVER happen....

I remember having that old magazine, that was a LONG time ago. They also did a race in that mag with modded cars and the lingenfelter C4 ZR1 won the 0-150-0 race. There was also a Viper Venom (2nd I believe), a jag, sl600 and a few others that I forgot.

GTS was quick, if I didnt start in the right gear with my Diablo it could get out on you. Those NSX times will NEVER happen....

I was thinking the same thing about the NSX. I didnt think the NSX was ever a 12 second car....