Salvage Carrera GT on eBay for $165k

F_Industries

Mike, I am not doubting your '07 pricing, I am talking about TODAY!!! Who was ever talking about 2.5 years ago? I have not found anyone selling the back to the future machine so that I can go and buy cars at 2007 prices. That is a fact!

Chris,

So you are saying that a 4-5 year old Carrera GT in May 2009 during the worst economic climate since the Great Depression is the same price or more as in a 2-3 year old Carrera GT in 2007 during arguably the best economic climate in US History? :eusa_think:

Yep. Show me where I am wrong. Remember Mike, there were 1500 total car built. This car is a perfect example of where over 50% of the remaining cars have ended up. Imagine how many clean examples with low miles there are running around out there. And to counter your logic, tell me what a clean example of a Carrera GT was doing just over a year and a half ago? I will tell you, they were close to 400k and up for a nice car. Most of them going to Europe, which is why I never mentioned it as it was an inflated economy. In early 07, there were still new cars sitting on showroom floors, not many of them, but a few. Once they dried up, the market went up. Supply and demand. I have bought and sold one in the last two months, how many have you moved? I am absolutely willing to defer to someone elses wisdom Mike as I promise you I am not too proud. If you can generate data to prove me wrong I will agree, until then I wait to be corrected.

Mike, I am not doubting your '07 pricing, I am talking about TODAY!!! Who was ever talking about 2.5 years ago? I have not found anyone selling the back to the future machine so that I can go and buy cars at 2007 prices. That is a fact!

I was referring to Mike's post where he stated that I purchased one. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much for one of these today.

I was referring to Mike's post where he stated that I purchased one. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much for one of these today.

Oh, fair enough, I am sure I missed that. I did not know when you bought one. As for the market, the cars are fetching north of 300k for a nice 2005 car. People will not let them go now. Car is getting super rare. Like I said, 15xx made, a lot of wrecked and salvaged and abused cars out there. Market will go up on that car. Just think, it is likely one of the last 6 speed manual, no traction nannies, most exciting and visceral automobiles to be produced. With the way that laws and regulations are going, we will never see a car like this produced again. I think that is where the appeal is.

Yep. Show me where I am wrong. Remember Mike, there were 1500 total car built. This car is a perfect example of where over 50% of the remaining cars have ended up. Imagine how many clean examples with low miles there are running around out there. And to counter your logic, tell me what a clean example of a Carrera GT was doing just over a year and a half ago? I will tell you, they were close to 400k and up for a nice car. Most of them going to Europe, which is why I never mentioned it as it was an inflated economy. In early 07, there were still new cars sitting on showroom floors, not many of them, but a few. Once they dried up, the market went up. Supply and demand. I have bought and sold one in the last two months, how many have you moved? I am absolutely willing to defer to someone elses wisdom Mike as I promise you I am not too proud. If you can generate data to prove me wrong I will agree, until then I wait to be corrected.

You are wrong unless you post the Bill of Sale of a similar color/mileage/year CGT you sold at retail in 2007 vs. the same from your last month retail CGT sale. If I am wrong, I will admit it. Dont have time to argue, and dont care that much. :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

Sold one, Guards Red over dark grey with 605 miles in your backyard a month ago for 370k. I am not going to post the buyers order as that is a violation of the privacy act, but you wouldn't know that nor could I expect you to. I know you are a nice guy Mike, but you are out of your depth on this one. I just get tired of people arm chair quarterbacking values when they have never bought a car. Why don't you ask anyone on this board that has bought one lately what they paid for their car? If they will release the information, you would be surprised. Any car that I have been recently offered, and that is 5 cars, with decent mileage was north of 300k WHOLESALE. As for your last comment, that is a nice out for not being able to post anything refutable to what I said. Good luck with whatever it is that you are doing that is remarkably more important.

Oh, fair enough, I am sure I missed that. I did not know when you bought one. As for the market, the cars are fetching north of 300k for a nice 2005 car. People will not let them go now. Car is getting super rare. Like I said, 15xx made, a lot of wrecked and salvaged and abused cars out there. Market will go up on that car. Just think, it is likely one of the last 6 speed manual, no traction nannies, most exciting and visceral automobiles to be produced. With the way that laws and regulations are going, we will never see a car like this produced again. I think that is where the appeal is.

I definitely agree with your last statement. the carrera gt is the last of its kind, the chances of another car being produced of this caliber is very rare. hopefully the cgt will be looked at as an ultimate driver involved sports car for at least the next 5 to 6 years

Sold one, Guards Red over dark grey with 605 miles in your backyard a month ago for 370k.

That color with those miles is a whole different ball game. That same car a year ago would have been bringing at least a 100 to 150 more than what you sold it for.

Triple plate ceramic and a pain in the ass to put in. The part, if I recall, is north of 18k, the rest is labor. And Mike, different ball game a little sure. But if my car that I sold was 100-150k more a year ago, where are we coming up with current numbers of 260k that have been quoted by Mike, Brandi et al. These prices just don't exist. I am not trying to be a dickhead, I promise, I just don't understand where people are coming up with these numbers.

On another note, I have been told that the new CGT will be even more incredible power and handling wise, but will be full of nannies. It will be a world beater for sure but will certainly not be as raw as its predecessor.

Sold one, Guards Red over dark grey with 605 miles in your backyard a month ago for 370k. I am not going to post the buyers order as that is a violation of the privacy act, but you wouldn't know that nor could I expect you to. I know you are a nice guy Mike, but you are out of your depth on this one. I just get tired of people arm chair quarterbacking values when they have never bought a car. Why don't you ask anyone on this board that has bought one lately what they paid for their car? If they will release the information, you would be surprised. Any car that I have been recently offered, and that is 5 cars, with decent mileage was north of 300k WHOLESALE. As for your last comment, that is a nice out for not being able to post anything refutable to what I said. Good luck with whatever it is that you are doing that is remarkably more important.

Guards Red and Yellow are the only 2 colors that are different as they are extremely rare. A guards red 605 mile car will be well north of $300k. The normal 2004/2005 Silver/Black or Silver/Terracotta CGT with 5,000-15,000 miles is a different story. You dont violate the privacy act if you block off there information.

I am not a used car salesman so of course there is not much more for me to say or argue about, and again I really don't care. You have your way of thinking and I have mine. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Thank you. Best of luck to you as well.

Guards Red and Yellow are the only 2 colors that are different as they are extremely rare. A guards red 605 mile car will be well north of $300k. The normal 2004/2005 Silver/Black or Silver/Terracotta CGT with 5,000-15,000 miles is a different story. You dont violate the privacy act if you block off there information.

interesting because there are 3 CGT's around me and they are silver, Gaurds red, and Yellow, didnt realize red and yellow were that rare.

interesting because there are 3 CGT's around me and they are silver, Gaurds red, and Yellow, didnt realize red and yellow were that rare.

Only 15 cars were built in yellow and about half were built with Yellow/Terracota. Not sure about the Guards Red, but I am pretty sure it is a VERY low number as well. Silver and black are the most common, followed by seal gray, guards red, then Yellow. 1270 Total Porsche Carrera GT's were built and only 604 were sent to the United States.

Only 15 cars were built in yellow and about half were built with Yellow/Terracota. Not sure about the Guards Red, but I am pretty sure it is a VERY low number as well. Silver and black are the most common, followed by seal gray, guards red, then Yellow. 1270 Total Porsche Carrera GT's were built and only 604 were sent to the United States.

I have a different breakdown for NA: 673 Total

362 GT Silver

103 Black

64 Seal Grey

44 Fayence Yellow

42 Guards Red

41 Basalt Black

11 Non-Metallic Color to Sample

6 Metallic Color to Sample

You will spend at least 100k fixing that car with the un-obtain-ium that they are built with. Then you are into a decent miles, storied up, salvage titled drama queen for almost the price of a nice no stories example.

With that being the case, it is pointless for anyone to buy it, in an effort to make money on resale.

These sellers on ebay listing at $370 for an 05 with 5-7 thousand miles are around $100k shy of their selling points. It would be like listing a 2009 LP640 at MSRP-You might find a retard with stupid money willing to pay MSRP, but 99.999999% of the people out there know what they are worth, and wont pay it.

Especially in today's market, when people know they can haggle 10%-25% on cars because people just aren't buying these days.

A few months ago, a seller in Japan, was advertising a wrecked 456 on Ebay USA for the 40's :icon_mrgreen: :icon_thumleft:

A great deal :eusa_dance:

Also the only ones that anyone was bidding on, the bids were $225,000-$250,000.

Car has been wrecked also, but I am sure that doesn't make any difference. But whatever. Mark Starr has had that car for a while. So since one car makes a market, can you produce a couple others that are selling for that money? Also, of note, if I can buy back the Red car from my guy in Miami, I would pay WELL north of 300k for it. It has 900 miles on it now. Would rather buy a yellow one, but finding one of those that has not had an accident is almost impossible. There is one, a 50 mile car in Tennessee, that can be had but that guy TURNED DOWN 525k!

• 10 years later...