Who can diagnose this problem

DoctaM3

Hoping someone can tell me what they think is going on. I have a couple of emails out to Lambo but obviously won't hear anything until later this week given the holiday. See the attached pictures. This recently started--pictures are of the front passenger side rim. Looks like there are 2 tracks. I initially thought that a pebble got caught or something but there are 2 distinct lines. If you look closely on the calipers I think I see the contact spots. What are your thoughts? Likelihood I can get this fixed under warranty (I need to ship the car out for service shortly anyway).

Here are the pix. Let me know if there are others I need to take for more closeups...

Two Grooves on rim:

Rimgroovefrontpassenger.jpg

Contact Points on Caliper??

Suspectareaoncaliperscausinggroove.jpg

Grooveinwheellabel.jpg

So tell me what you all think...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Put a fresh piece of some type of tape over the wheel label area (that was previously scored) and see if driving the car is still causing a score mark. It could have been something was stuck in there, and then dislodged.

Or, it could be those points you referenced.

No mechanic yet... just noticed it yesterday but sent pix in to Lambo Techs so maybe I will hear from them. Just figured I could get a sense before then. I will try to tape bit tomorrow and see what comes of it... Any other ideas would be greatly welcomed!

If you have a torque wrench, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to double check and make sure to lugs are tight.

I haven't hit anything much recently... it might be that its bend... with wheel on the car, you can't really see. I don't feel anything in the steering though. You think there would be some feedback if things were off, don't you think?

I haven't hit anything much recently... it might be that its bend... with wheel on the car, you can't really see. I don't feel anything in the steering though. You think there would be some feedback if things were off, don't you think?

Should be something I would think.

Are the lines continuous? If so then the wheel isn't bent unless you killed the wheel evenly all the way around.

Might be a suspension issue? If the scoring is equal across the whole wheel, it wouldn't be a bump issue, or bent wheel issue. The whole structure would have to be "sagging" in order to make that contact for a while.

Maybe a "lift system" issue?

Just thought. Good luck!

Also I would suggest stopping by a tire center and have them look at it, maybe they know whats happening.

Also I would suggest stopping by a tire center and have them look at it, maybe they know whats happening.

It's not that easy in Pittsburgh :eusa_naughty:

I don't think it's a bent wheel because the wheel almost never bends at the barrel (unless its very severe); it usually bends at the inner or outer lip (bead area). And it would have to be bent A LOT for it to contact the caliper -- so much so that it'd be noticeable to the naked eye. And if that were the case, you would see scrapes and damage to the caliper.

My guess is either a piece of road debris or a loose brake line. I personally would not drive it to the shop until I was assured it was not something with the brakes. Remove the wheel and double check everything

I'd guess that an anti-squeal pad (affixed to the back of the brake pad) came loose and unceremoniously scored the wheel. Most caliper designs contain such wayward parts; however the open design of the Lambo's caliper may have allowed it access to the wheel.

That wheel is now a liability. With a stress riser like that I would get a new one. I've seen wheels clove in two from stray brake parts and it ain't pretty.

Might be the time to throw some HRE's on it.

Certainly looks like something I've never seen before. Probably covered under warranty if something came loose/broke. If it's FOD you're on the hook for the fix $$'s. Might be reparable however. I've had a few wheel rim "kisses" that looked BAD to me but were fixed by a good wheel shop. Regardless, don't mess around and drive without getting it checked first.

So what did you do before this problem started? New wheels, new brakes, new pads, anything?

Are these OEM wheels, or aftermarket? Aftermarket wheels may not have enough clearance when calipers heat up and expand, if the wheel-caliper clearance is too tight. Remove wheel, inspect caliper for drag marks, inspect wheel inside (not sure from your diagram if the caliper is scored at the 2 points you show as possible contact points). Check caliper bolts and pads to make sure they are sitting "true".

I see you have the carbon brake package. OEM or aftermarket. If aftermarket, take back to whoever put it on.

It all OEM. I have made no modifications to the setup--bone stock!! Still awaiting the answer as to the cause. We placed fresh tape in 3 places equally spaced around the rim and across the scars to see if it was old or something that was still ongoing. Sadly, this seems to be ongoing. Only 1 of the 3 pieces of tape continues to be scored but it means that whatever is doing it, is still there. Car is at the shop so I hope to hear more shortly. Anyone with an stock Superleggera setup experience this? Not so great to be the "one of..." :mellow: :mellow: