Who can diagnose this problem

DoctaM3

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lambo certified tech drove and looked over the car. It appears the rim is not OOR (out of round), bend or otherwise (whew!). The suspension, calipers are all fine. It looks like a rock or something got caught in the calipers and made the scar. Apparently quite reparable and there should be no trace of this event. So still awaiting the completion of the repair. I may pick it up in Columbus and do the C&C cruise if the weather is nice... Has anyone else experience this problem? Very odd, but with such big brakes and calipers, things are so close, it does take much to get "TOUCHED."

• 4 months later...
Lambo certified tech drove and looked over the car. It appears the rim is not OOR (out of round), bend or otherwise (whew!). The suspension, calipers are all fine. It looks like a rock or something got caught in the calipers and made the scar. Apparently quite reparable and there should be no trace of this event. So still awaiting the completion of the repair. I may pick it up in Columbus and do the C&C cruise if the weather is nice... Has anyone else experience this problem? Very odd, but with such big brakes and calipers, things are so close, it does take much to get "TOUCHED."

DoctaM3,

Did you get your rim repainted yet? Was it cover under the warranty? How much did it cost to fix the problem or scar? A friend of mine is running into the same situation and looking for your advice on this issue.

Well the PLOT thickens. I had it repaired back in May. Now it looks like the same problem is back and now it is on all 4 rims. This cannot be only stones. There is something major here. Think about it, for folks on here with CCB, take a look at your rims. I can't (and I now know) I am not the only one with this problem. Pokie, it sounds like you have a person too. There is a car for sale on eBay with the same problem. check out this rim.

Wheel in Question from the eBay auction

ZHWGU43T98LA05833-30039545_LG.jpg

eBay item

With all that said, I am working with Lambo HQ ( got the top US man's attention) so I will fill you in one I know more. In the interim, anyone who is running stock SL rims with CCB, please take a look at your rims and let me know if you see anything funny.

Ciao

• 2 weeks later...

Car is now at dealership... new high res pix being sent back to Lambo HQ. Stay tuned...

I'm wondering if the clearances are so tight on these wheel/brake combos that the calipers are actually thermally expanding under sustained or heavy use, causing an interference. I definitely wouldn't ignote it. While it may be unsightly, a more serious concern would be the gouge may cause a stress riser in the wheel, leading to crack initiation.

I just took delivery of my SL last week. I checked the wheels last night after reading this post - one of my fronts have the exact same problem, deep scores in the exact same place. Other three wheels are fine though. I have carbon brakes also. I have another friend near by with a SL, will check his and report back.

I just took delivery of my SL last week. I checked the wheels last night after reading this post - one of my fronts have the exact same problem, deep scores in the exact same place. Other three wheels are fine though. I have carbon brakes also. I have another friend near by with a SL, will check his and report back.

:shock:

I had superleggera with ceramic disks in 2008 and I drove about 7000km with it, there was no such issue whatsoever

however I admit this is kind of weird and I remember very well how close was the caliper to the rim, the gap was maybe 3 milimeters

if this is happening on all 4 wheels and the line is very precise IT CANNOT BE a stone, must be caliper touching the rim, it also cannot be suspension issue because caliper and wheel are mounted at the same mounting point and independent from the suspension. Caliper extending from the heat? Possible but maybe 0.5mm max, not 3 milimeters. Anyway I would be very concerned about this issue because it can be lethal! I am surprised you did not jack up the car yourself and check if there is any grinding noise, I wouldn't trust lambo techs with this I would certainly like to make the diagnose myself, I will just remind you the www.lambounfall.de guy

Looking closely at the markings I agree with maddox, the marks look so precise that I also doubt it would be caused by a stone. However, I am no expert. I will try calling my local Lambo dealer (Edinburgh, Scotland) see if they have heard of it.

That makes at least 4 people I know has the same problem. DoctaM3, if you can please keep us posted. Great information!

I have this on both front Callistos also with Carbon Ceramics. I don't recall the first wheel being done but the second time it happened I was driving across gravel and heard the scraping. Stopped straight away and sure enough there was a small piece of gravel lodged between the caliper and the rim.

Sorry, didn't see this thread and made a new thread of my own. I have Carbon Ceramic's on my SL and I have this problem on all 3 wheels. Noticed it yesterday when I drove through some loose gravel and heard a really bad scratching sound. (Nails on a chalkboard sound) Pulled over and found scored rims. :(

:shock:

I know right....

I have this on both front Callistos also with Carbon Ceramics. I don't recall the first wheel being done but the second time it happened I was driving across gravel and heard the scraping. Stopped straight away and sure enough there was a small piece of gravel lodged between the caliper and the rim.

After talking to folks, I am even more convinced that this may not be "rocks." Those possible contact points on the calipers may very well be the culprit. As the brakes get hot, I am thinking they are expanding and making contacts with the rims. it seems odd that this would happen on all 4 rims in the same locations if it is all rocks! Quite unusual I would so.

So, if you have CCB and still running your OEM rims, take a close look at your rims and report back. Sometimes it doesn't seem so obvious unless u look for it.

Guys,

I met up with another SL yesterday and he also has both fronts 'scored'. Both our rear wheels are ok though. He had just put it down to sticky tyres and gravel. Do you think the brakes could expand that much and make contact?

brake calipers cannot expand that much COME ON are you crazy???

so none of you went to the dealer with this problem yet? OMG I would be there first time tomorrow morning, but this thread is here for a week and not 1 single real answer like what dealer said?

brake calipers cannot expand that much COME ON are you crazy???

so none of you went to the dealer with this problem yet? OMG I would be there first time tomorrow morning, but this thread is here for a week and not 1 single real answer like what dealer said?

I did call my local dealer about it. They put me on to the service manager who thought it sounded like stones or rocks causing the scores. They are three hours away from me so it will be next service or if anything else happens before they actually see the car.