Who can diagnose this problem

DoctaM3

Guys, we need to have a tally of folks having this problem. Are we all having rocks?

Wonder if the mods can put a poll up for those with CCB and the SL. Would be good to see who/how many have this.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really Guys! This is a very simple problem.

Unless you are dropping calipers or pads off their brackets, or are using some kind of oversize calipers, or undersize non-OEM rims, or non OEM steering linkage on the front wheels, the problem can be distilled down to rocks.

There is nothing else that can come between the caliper and rim.

So the exact geometry on these cars seems to want to land rocks on the inside of the rims, and spin them around like a cotton candy machine does....

For the sake of everyone's sanity, someone got test this theory by running your G into a gravel pit and pull some donuts, and then tell me what happens.

Really Guys! This is a very simple problem.

Unless you are dropping calipers or pads off their brackets, or are using some kind of oversize calipers, or undersize non-OEM rims, or non OEM steering linkage on the front wheels, the problem can be distilled down to rocks.

There is nothing else that can come between the caliper and rim.

So the exact geometry on these cars seems to want to land rocks on the inside of the rims, and spin them around like a cotton candy machine does....

For the sake of everyone's sanity, someone got test this theory by running your G into a gravel pit and pull some donuts, and then tell me what happens.

I am sorry but I don't think you have CCB. So far only people with CCB have this kind of problem and I have done a mini survey with some people with/without CCB. I agree with Cody because Porsche also has PCCB and it doesn't cause this kind of problem.

I am sorry but I don't think you have CCB. So far only people with CCB have this kind of problem and I have done a mini survey with some people with/without CCB. I agree with Cody because Porsche also has PCCB and it doesn't cause this kind of problem.

No, I do not have CCB. So what relevance does that comment have?

Larger diameter brakes and or larger calipers than on a non-CCB car means that the calipers are closer to the rim. That means the gap between rim and wheel is smaller. That means that it will catch rocks easier. That is what I said all along if you read my posts in this thread. So prove me wrong that it is not rocks! :rolleyes:

No, I do not have CCB. So what relevance does that comment have?

Larger diameter brakes and or larger calipers than on a non-CCB car means that the calipers are closer to the rim. That means the gap between rim and wheel is smaller. That means that it will catch rocks easier. That is what I said all along if you read my posts in this thread. So prove me wrong that it is not rocks! :rolleyes:

Carbuff,

No offense but this is a survey for Superleggera with CCB and regular Gallardo with CCB. If you don't have real life experience in regards to this problem then please keep yourself cool. And if you don't agree with DoctM3's explanation then please keep the arguments on the side unless if you have a solution. I have Porsches with PCCB and please explain to me as to why I don't have the same problem. There are a few bugs and design flaws so please let us work out the problem. Thank you very much for your time and concern.

Carbuff,

No offense but this is a survey for Superleggera with CCB and regular Gallardo with CCB. If you don't have real life experience in regards to this problem then please keep yourself cool. And if you don't agree with DoctM3's explanation then please keep the arguments on the side unless if you have a solution. I have Porsches with PCCB and please explain to me as to why I don't have the same problem. There are a few bugs and design flaws so please let us work out the problem. Thank you very much for your time and concern.

Yes, you are offensive. I did not realize this was a survey or restricted thread....

People on this thread have been trying to solve this since last May. That is when the thread began. Le't see, that's about 6 months. So I think you need all the help, suggestions, and guesses you can get, even if unlikely, since one may prove to be the answer.

Pokie, you don't have the same problem, because you have a different make of car (as I explained above, it could just be geometry of the car...) Have you measured the caliper to wheel gap on your Porsche vs an SL or CCB car? No? Why not? They are probably different. So is the rim width, and other parameters. Obviously only the G with CCB makes a perfect storm that causes the problem for whatever yet unexplained reason.

Just trying to be helpful. But since that is blatently not appreciated, I will sit on the sidelines and wait for you to tell us what the REAL cause is.

Yes, you are offensive. I did not realize this was a survey or restricted thread....

People on this thread have been trying to solve this since last May. That is when the thread began. Le't see, that's about 6 months. So I think you need all the help, suggestions, and guesses you can get, even if unlikely, since one may prove to be the answer.

Pokie, you don't have the same problem, because you have a different make of car (as I explained above, it could just be geometry of the car...) Have you measured the caliper to wheel gap on your Porsche vs an SL or CCB car? No? Why not? They are probably different. So is the rim width, and other parameters. Obviously only the G with CCB makes a perfect storm that causes the problem for whatever yet unexplained reason.

Just trying to be helpful. But since that is blatently not appreciated, I will sit on the sidelines and wait for you to tell us what the REAL cause is.

Ok, let's stay focused on the main issue here guys.

Carbuff, with all due respect, Pokie has the same car as I do. He has the same problem. Carbuff, on what basis do you have objective evidence that all these issues are rocks? I am not driving in a rock quarry and why is it tat this is happening all over the country and in Europe. if so, I really want to have the evidence so we can solve it. Honestly, I just want to find out of the guys who have CCBs have this problem. I have access to other cars with CCBs (Porsche) and this is definitely NOT a problem on that car--so the issue is not rocks and CCB. The Scuderia of my buddy does not have tis problem and that has CCBs. If you have steel brakes, this doesn't count.

So honestly, can one of the mods help with getting this survey done with peeps who have Carbon Ceramic brakes on a SUPERLEGGERA. Guys, if this is all ROCKS, we need to stop drifting in the quarry. :rolleyes:

Jesus! I do have a Superleggera with the same problem and if you want to go with mearuring wheel gap then you have just answered your question. Why doesn't it happen on my Porsche but Lamborghini (design flaw)? I have been more than reasonable and fair with my response. This is a survey for Lamborghini with CCB!!!! The only ROCK I am seeing is your head :eusa_wall: . J/K :icon_super:

I know that it has been explained and denied already but I have had this happen to customers and it was either rocks, asphalt, or something hard. It was verified by examining the top side of the caliper and seeing nicks where rocks have been getting lodged.

It doesnt happen on the Pcars because they have more clearance between the calipers and the wheels.

Could have just been those couple customers, but it looked to definitely be something getting lodged.

I'm just back in from a little drive around town.

One front wheel just scratched. The scratch is about 1cm width, almost all around the inner rim.

I'm running calistos with the carbon break.

The technician told me on the phone that they already know this problem. He said, last time, they pulled a stone out, which got stuck behind the calpiler.

This makes sense to me, because I did no hard braking at all today nor is the scratch around the whole wheel. It looks like the scratch fades around the wheel.

Sounds like you got your answer from the tech. We just had another member with similar problems last week. Inspect to determine if the stone is still there, if not, you're all set to go!

Well I spoke to a pretty reliable source in Lambo HQ today. They are now concerned it may in fact be design and NOT trapped debris--so, for the "Rock scientists and Theorists"--sit tight. There will be more to come. This plot thickens--but presumptive speculations of rocks would have made any and all abandon this issue. Guess that is why I am a man of science. Let's see where the data takes us.

Fill you in as soon as I know. In the mean time, if you have SL with CCB, check you car and post.

Well I spoke to a pretty reliable source in Lambo HQ today. They are now concerned it may in fact be design and NOT trapped debris--so, for the "Rock scientists and Theorists"--sit tight. There will be more to come. This plot thickens--but presumptive speculations of rocks would have made any and all abandon this issue. Guess that is why I am a man of science. Let's see where the data takes us.

Fill you in as soon as I know. In the mean time, if you have SL with CCB, check you car and post.

:icon_thumleft:

I absolutely don't believe this is rocks. I have other cars with the same very small clearance and there is no issue like this!!! And believe me, I drive them on a rocky roads. Also a rock scaring rim this way on all wheels and a few guys having exactly the same problem, come on you really are not serious this cannot be a rock. Also if there was a rock sticked in there, you must have a mark on the caliper but none of you ever saw any marks? I would be personally shit scared to drive a car with this issue and I am not a pussy when it comes to driving :)

I absolutely don't believe this is rocks. I have other cars with the same very small clearance and there is no issue like this!!! And believe me, I drive them on a rocky roads. Also a rock scaring rim this way on all wheels and a few guys having exactly the same problem, come on you really are not serious this cannot be a rock. Also if there was a rock sticked in there, you must have a mark on the caliper but none of you ever saw any marks? I would be personally shit scared to drive a car with this issue and I am not a pussy when it comes to driving :)

:icon_thumleft: :iamwithstupid:

One thing you guys might want to do is measure the width and depth of the scratch. If it is a problem induced by the caliper somehow, then all of the scratches should be a very similar size. If they are rock induced depth and width of the mark should vary.

Has anyone looked at what happens when you reverse and use the brakes, it might be that the pads or caliper move and touch the rim??

Russell

Has anyone looked at what happens when you reverse and use the brakes, it might be that the pads or caliper move and touch the rim??

Russell

Great point Russell!

Russell

Hmmm.. never thought of this.. someone should try this. My car is still away so I can't. BTW, the scars are pretty much in the same location, same width etc... Would be an amazing coincidence to have rocks all of the same size and configuration--its just too perfect--I know its a Lambo and perfection is its nature, but not on this count :eusa_naughty:

Hmmm.. never thought of this.. someone should try this. My car is still away so I can't. BTW, the scars are pretty much in the same location, same width etc... Would be an amazing coincidence to have rocks all of the same size and configuration--its just too perfect--I know its a Lambo and perfection is its nature, but not on this count :eusa_naughty:

Point well taken! :icon_thumleft:

This isnt you Docta, is it?

Look at the pics of the wheels. The front you can KIND OF see, the rear wheel pic its painfully obvious...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...3DLVI%26ps%3D54

Nope, not me but I saw that too. This is one of 2 cars on eBay with the same problem. I left them a message and hope to hear back from them with some other pix. For those of you on here that have the same problem, please private me. trying to make some progress with Lambo for all our sakes. If you have responded to my pvt yet, please do so.

All SL owners with CCBs, please check your rims and let me know if you are seeing the same thing.