From Autoblog: Murci replacement rumors

Autoblog:

When it does come along, though, Auto Motor und Sport says we can expect the new flagship Lambo to ditch the Murci's outmoded steel chassis in favor of an aluminum one – likely based on the Audi R8's. Draped in aluminum and carbon fiber, the chassis will, in all likelihood, carry a revised version of the Bizzarrini-designed V12 that was the company's first engine and which has, with considerable modification, carried on in the company's supercars ever since. While the wheelbase is expected to carry over from the outgoing Murcielago, the front overhang is expected to shrink, while all-wheel-drive will continue to put the power down to the tarmac.

If true, I guess this is a cost saving move. Note that the R8 and Gallardo share the same chassis.....

Lamborghini_Murci_lago.jpg

I guess this is pretty real. At least I don't think it's gonna have a carbon frame.

Murcie based on R8 frame.

R8 based on Gallardo frame.

:unsure: :unsure:

?????

Hey, if they could squeeze a V-12 in my G, I wouldn't complain. Its a great chassis and we know it can handle a lot more power. The R8 has a slightly longer wheelbase than the G, so we can assume the Murci will be a bit longer still, but basically, the weight problem is solved and a V-12 will make it very fast/very smooth.

Does that really solve the weight problem though? How much weight will that aluminum chassis really save? I was under the impression that it wouldn't make things a whole lot lighter, and that it certainly wouldn't be as light as CF . . . .

Also, isn't the Lambo V-12 super-heavy? Couldn't a ton of weight be saved by designing a more modern V-12 from scratch?

Hey, if they could squeeze a V-12 in my G, I wouldn't complain. Its a great chassis and we know it can handle a lot more power. The R8 has a slightly longer wheelbase than the G, so we can assume the Murci will be a bit longer still, but basically, the weight problem is solved and a V-12 will make it very fast/very smooth.

Does that really solve the weight problem though? How much weight will that aluminum chassis really save? I was under the impression that it wouldn't make things a whole lot lighter, and that it certainly wouldn't be as light as CF . . . .

Also, isn't the Lambo V-12 super-heavy? Couldn't a ton of weight be saved by designing a more modern V-12 from scratch?

My guess is the replacement will have a smaller footprint than the current model. The smaller chassis(and body panels), plus a lot of cf should save weight. You are right about the v-12, its a brute, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Aluminum is 1/3 the weight of steel. In my business we have always found that for a structure, you need about twice as much aluminum to match the strength of steel. So the weight savings ends up about 1/3.

The way around this is to use larger section frame members So we may not see that "ladder" tube frame that we're used to on the Diablo and Murcielago.

Yeah, I think mad_74 is right, the aluminum chassis won't shave of a lot of weight, probably all the other CF stuff will.

Anyone know how much the Murcie's steel frame weighs?

Aluminum is 1/3 the weight of steel. In my business we have always found that for a structure, you need about twice as much aluminum to match the strength of steel. So the weight savings ends up about 1/3.

The way around this is to use larger section frame members So we may not see that "ladder" tube frame that we're used to on the Diablo and Murcielago.

But all the other stuff is already CF on the Murcie . . . .

Yeah, I think mad_74 is right, the aluminum chassis won't shave of a lot of weight, probably all the other CF stuff will.

The doors and roof are not. Well, that alone is not going to save a lot, but anyways...

Ive been saying it for a while: whats wrong with a modified Gallardo chassis? if a Gallardo without CF body panels can dip into the low 3000's in terms of weight in lbs, I dont see why the new car cant. unless the engine and drivetrain are ultra heavy.

I think the G's body panels are already mostly CF, but even if they're aluminum, switching something as thin as body panels of aluminum for CF isn't going to make a huge change in weight.

It's the old V-12 engine and transmission that I think will still keep it quite heavy. I don't think throwing the V-12 into the G's chassis would get it down into the low 3,000's area.

It would be nice if whatever they came up with did weight no more than, say, 3,300 lbs real weight.

Ive been saying it for a while: whats wrong with a modified Gallardo chassis? if a Gallardo without CF body panels can dip into the low 3000's in terms of weight in lbs, I dont see why the new car cant. unless the engine and drivetrain are ultra heavy.

I think the G's body panels are already mostly CF, but even if they're aluminum, switching something as thin as body panels of aluminum for CF isn't going to make a huge change in weight.

I think the body panels are made of some kind of plastics.

It's the old V-12 engine and transmission that I think will still keep it quite heavy. I don't think throwing the V-12 into the G's chassis would get it down into the low 3,000's area.

+1

The panels on the G isn't CF its thermoplastic. As for the Tranny and engine of the Lambo V12's there is only 1 word to describe it...... HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Both the engine & tranny need a diet (LP 640 engine actually shaved 60 lbs from the 6.2 Murci)

P.S I can make a sketch much better than that sketch ( Me and Nima should be hired into Centro Stile) Can anyone hook us up with Lambo SPA :icon_thumleft:????

Its so early to speculate on this stuff, lamborghini is so unpredictable especially in something like this. Maybe closer to 2010 we will know more but this SV hasnt even been officially released, lets just give it some time. I mean a few months back everyone was so into the estoque (sp?) what happened to that?

And like we've told you before, it can't be done. You just can't "modify" an existing chassis that easily and throw a whole new power plant and drive train in it.

Chassis development is the most expensive part of producing a car. It costs hundreds of millions of dollars to develop a new one.

Gallardo chassis is too small. I do not want a car that short and that narrow.

Gallardo chassis is too small. I do not want a car that short and that narrow.

The beauty of modern chassis design and platform sharing is that everything becomes more modular. Honda uses the Accord platform for the Accord, Pilot, Odyssey minivan etc... Audi uses the A8 platform for the A8, Phaeton and the Flying Spur. The R8 is a stretched G chassis and a stretched and widened R8 is an easy base for the new Murci. As others have said, the G and R8 have great chassis and I am sure a bigger cousin would make a fine platform for the replacement Murci.

I doubt the car will be less than 3,800 pounds. I don't think a light weight performer is the role of that car.

Chassis development is the most expensive part of producing a car. It costs hundreds of millions of dollars to develop a new one.

You're right on the first part, but, it doesn't cost "hundreds of millions of dollars to develop a new one." That's just ridiculous! :icon_thumleft:

The engine will have to be new. It needs to be a little better ( lot ) and greener.

Hopefully it will still be a V12. Although a TTV10 would be nice!

I doubt the car will be less than 3,800 pounds. I don't think a light weight performer is the role of that car.

It is though...Lamborghini wants to reduce CO2 emissions through innovation and reduced weight, hence not compromising their brand's heritage etc. I am sure we will see an amazing power plant that is cleaner, with the overall car being lighter as well