JLC releases world's most complicated wrist watch

Mako

Paging dad for review and his knowledge of how worthy of an "investment" that is. :)

Dad is without a doubt the expert here but I would say any watch at that level is a somewhat risky/unwise investment. First, the initial costs of such investment is hefty and as with most super esoteric watches, their value fluctuates greatly like roller coasters; one moment it's sky high but the next it's sky dive. The only exception to the rule is perhaps Patek's but, again, at this level, it's not like people are lining up to buy the watch off you. The right person has to arrive at the right time and that might take a while.

Dad is without a doubt the expert here but I would say any watch at that level is a somewhat risky/unwise investment. First, the initial costs of such investment is hefty and as with most super esoteric watches, their value fluctuates greatly like roller coasters; one moment it's sky high but the next it's sky dive. The only exception to the rule is perhaps Patek's but, again, at this level, it's not like people are lining up to buy the watch off you. The right person has to arrive at the right time and that might take a while.

Yes, there is a strong liquidity issue here with this kind of watch, that's for sure. This is why I put the investment in " ". :) The target market is certainly very small. Pateks are probably the safest bet in those markets from what I can see around the web in terms of low-depreciation or appreciation of value. Thanks for chiming in VCR. :)

I'm faaaaaar from anything close to an expert, but I guess it depends on your expectation of liquidity. I mean, if you want something you can turn into cash immediately it's a horrible investment. But if you want a great long term hold and something easily mobile, it could be great.

For instance... how easy is it to move $1m cash out of the country? vs. How easy is it to get on a commercial flight with a Patek Skymoon tourbillon on your wrist?

Granted at that pricepoint you could probably charter a jet and take anything you want with you no questions asked, but just saying. Some people buy certain things as a way of hiding assets in places a novice would never suspect.

Personally no matter my wealth I doubt I would own a watch over $50k, and I only say that because the one piece I truly covet is an AP ROO Rubens Barrichello II. titanium of course, unless I can piss money and get platinum, well, because I can. At this point I can't afford either one so it is what is is, a pipe dream.

Other than that I don't have much interest in the mega-big $$ pieces.