200 mph

farkasd

I wasn't sure where to post this (you'll see why), but I've lately been wondering, which *stock* production car were the first to advertise being able to hit 200, and which was the first to actually do so?

Wasnt the XJ220 around at that time? Im sure that was the first car to be in the 200mph club.

I dont think the F40 can hit 200mph i remember someone telling me it only hits 196.

First Diablos had a top speed of 203 mph:Presentation was at January 21 1990 at Hotel de Paris, Monte Carlo.The Jag did its deput as a concept in 1988 Birmingham Motor Show but production started a couple years later(i think)

Im pretty sure that 15 years ago the only production car available that could go over 200mhp was the Diablo.I don t think the jag was available to customers(yet).As for F40 the Diablo was faster anyway :finga:

Well the Countach was the first car specifically designed with the intention of doing 200mph, even if it never quite made it, probably due to the crap drag coefficient. It wasn't too far off though, and I guess it's kind of a moot point considering it was the fastest car in the world anyway.

Dont forget the Vectors sure they were like the moslers back then but they could hit speeds well over 200mph and they were sold back in the 1980s.

The Vector W8?Thats an early 90s car,no?I don t think they were sold during the 80s

I know the W* wasnt made until the early 90s and by that time the Mclaren F1 had already been made.

However the Vector W2 was thier first model. Its terrible to look at. wasnt all that popluar either because of the countach and well who wants a "wannabe" lambo?.

check it out

http://members.tripod.com/backlash528/vector/w2.htm

Hope this works!.

yeah it works :vom:

The Countach from Hell :vom:

I have seen the W-8 before in person and its much smaller than the Countach. It would have been a better car if it wasnt for the chevy V-8. I think they should gone with a Viper V-10.

Oh well Vector has bellyup so it really doesnt matter what happens.

Well the Countach was the first car specifically designed with the intention of doing 200mph, even if it never quite made it, probably due to the crap drag coefficient.  It wasn't too far off though, and I guess it's kind of a moot point considering it was the fastest car in the world anyway.

This is true. Lamborghini actually advertised the early Countachs as 218 mph cars!! In all the magazine tests I read about the car, 175 mph was the fastest, verified, posted speed I recall and 167 mph was the slowest. In those days, Lamborghini (and Ferrari) was notorious for outlandish speed claims and it never posted the officical drag coefficient of the Countach.

To guys like me, however, once you saw the Countach, nothing else mattered and nothing else compared. If I knew how to post pics, I'd show you guys the 59-inch by 20-inch pic of a white 5000 S that's hanging on the wall here in my home office. I also have that famous 37-inch by 12-inch pic of the red Countach and the white one in front of the rock outcropping with the burst of light behind the rocks. You guys feeling me on this?

Lambo never advertised 218mph, and in the 1988 Worlds Fastest Cars, the QV hit 179mph radar verified, Fast Lane hit 192mph. Till this day, the Countach takes my breath away.

Lambo never advertised 218mph, and in the 1988 Worlds Fastest Cars, the QV hit 179mph radar verified, Fast Lane hit 192mph. Till this day, the Countach takes my breath away.

You are correct about the 192 mph. I had forgot about that. You are, however, incorrect about the 218 mph. The first one that ever showed up at L.A. Auto Show when it was the pre-eminent show of its kind in the U.S., had promotional material from Lambo advertising the terminal velocity at 218 mph. They even had sections of the relevant R & T article, or the predecessor to Sports Car International, I forget which, casting doubt on the factory's claims blacked out. Bob Wallace, while admitting to the factory claims, also admitted they were bogus.

As a matter of fact, he said, at the time, the fastest Countach he had tested didn't have fender flares at all, as did the original L.A, Auto Show display car.

It takes my breath away as well. Still want one VERY badly.

It was probably aerodynamically/power limited at 218, but after they buttoned it up the car most likely ran out of gear. I find alot of current super cars/sports cars have this problem. In a R&T article when they retested the McLaren F1 and it did go 218 or whatever number it was bouncing off its rev limited. Meaning it had alot more free power, just not another gear. Same when I made a top speed run in my Camaro, I just ran out of gear, not power.

But I would say F40 if it ever made it, if not Diablo takes it.

I would say the first is either the F40 or the XJ220 but thanks to debates over the exact meaning of "production". Also there is theoretical speed and actual. Then we can debate of how did it reach the top speed i.e. down hill? or did it make two passes, One in each direction?? And on and on and on. A fun note is on March 29, 1927 Henry Segrave took a 1000 hp Sunbeam to a top speed of 202.98 mph (326.66 km/h) This is the first "car" to do it