$575 + Tax for oil change

Pokie

I heard Manhattan Motor Cars charges $575 + tax for a simple oil change. Sounds a little to high for a dealership don't you think? Anyone has experience in servicing their Lamborghini at MMC?

Come across the bridge 5 miles, and get it done at Lambo Bergen County for ~$300 (and less tax %, too!).

Jun27_0002.jpg

I heard Manhattan Motor Cars charges $575 + tax for a simple oil change. Sounds a little to high for a dealership don't you think? Anyone has experience in servicing their Lamborghini at MMC?

Does that include a lunch ?

Does that include a lunch ?

I hope it includes some lube and a parting gift :eusa_wall:

Even the $300 @ LBC seem a little strong.

Maybe I'm just cheap :eusa_think:

I hope it includes some lube and a parting gift :eusa_wall:

Even the $300 @ LBC seem a little strong.

Maybe I'm just cheap :eusa_think:

Well, they were having a special a short while back $250 for an oil change in the Gallardo, but I don't know if that is still the current rate. I think their 'normal' price is right around $300, which I feel is very fair considering it's at the dealer.

When I do mine myself, it costs me $80 for the filter, and ~$80-$90 for the oil. So for ~$130 more, I don't have to get my hands dirty. Not bad....

The Bergen County charge is pretty standard. The Manhattan charge is high and what LOA is charging now. It is turning people off to going to the dealership.

About a year ago the hourly labour rate at MMC was $150, maybe it is now upto $175, but $575 still seems a bit steep for an oil change.

About a year ago the hourly labour rate at MMC was $150, maybe it is now upto $175, but $575 still seems a bit steep for an oil change.

Does anyone know the service manager at MMC? I was told if I am not happy with $575 I can go somewhere else. Sometimes I wonder what has gotten into these manager's head, I was treated with a little bit of hostile. Anyone has experience at MMC? Please share your insight. Thank you very much for your help.

Does anyone know the service manager at MMC? I was told if I am not happy with $575 I can go somewhere else. Sometimes I wonder what has gotten into these manager's head, I was treated with a little bit of hostile. Anyone has experience at MMC? Please share your insight. Thank you very much for your help.

Went there last week to get a paint touch up stick for my Cayenne. Stood at the parts counter for 10 mins and was completely ignored. Just walked out in the end and won't be going back. Bought the Cayenne from them last year and that was not a good experience, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Last weeks experience confirms that I will not be going back. Take your car to Lamborghini of Bergen County. Bought mine from them and they are great.

When I do mine myself, it costs me $80 for the filter, and ~$80-$90 for the oil. So for ~$130 more, I don't have to get my hands dirty. Not bad....

Just curious, but why does many use the $80 Lamborghini oil filter, and not a "normal" oil filter for considerably less? Seems steep for an oil filter to me.. And, what brand of oil is everyone running?

Thanks,

-R

Just curious, but why does many use the $80 Lamborghini oil filter, and not a "normal" oil filter for considerably less? Seems steep for an oil filter to me.. And, what brand of oil is everyone running?

Thanks,

-R

The filter they use is not exactly one you can buy at AutoZone. It's a filter element only that sits inside a reuseable shell. But if you know of an alternate source for the filter, I'm all ears.

I use Castrol Syntec. But just about any quality oil would work.

Went there last week to get a paint touch up stick for my Cayenne. Stood at the parts counter for 10 mins and was completely ignored. Just walked out in the end and won't be going back. Bought the Cayenne from them last year and that was not a good experience, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Last weeks experience confirms that I will not be going back. Take your car to Lamborghini of Bergen County. Bought mine from them and they are great.

For some reason I agree with what you said and thank you so much for your response. I have purchased my SL from them a month ago and they are treating me exact like what you have experienced. I have a broken strut 2 days after I took delivery of the brand new SL and it took them a month to order a part (I have both call 4 times as well as 4 follow up emails) not to mentioned their attitude.

Thanks,

-R

Castrol Full Synthetic 5w40 (8.5 liters = 10-10.5 quarts).

Thanks,

-R

Good luck finding an aftermarket filter. In fact, good luck finding ANY aftermarket parts for this car.

I use Agip 5w40 (factory fill)

• 2 months later...
Good luck finding an aftermarket filter. In fact, good luck finding ANY aftermarket parts for this car.

I use Agip 5w40 (factory fill)

Just Curious,

If the Audi R8, RS6 V10 share the same engine as the Gallardo how come its still expensive to service the gallardo. Aren't the parts interchangeable? Can you use a R8 or Audi RS6 V10 waterpump for a Gallardo or other engine parts?

I need someone to answer this question for me, it's just KILLLING ME!!

There is no substitute for the Lamborghini filter element........I have investigated this pretty thoroughly.

Do the oil change yourself with my custom-fabricated Gallardo oil filter housing wrench........piece of cake.

Save yourself a lot of money, and know that it was DONE RIGHT!! :icon_thumleft:

E-mail me if you are interested in the wrench: [email protected]

post-6577-1253654891_thumb.jpg

Just for your guys info. With oil service its more then just oil & filter, if the tech knows what he is doing. The car needs to be insp. top to bottom to make sure it is safe to do 200 mph. If you do the service you need to be able to insp. every inch of the car and know its good. Could be as simple as a nail in a tire and if not found and the tire fails at speed could cost you alot more then a few bucks, could be your life. If you had a airplane, would you have it done by a pro who know what to look for and what to check? The more often the car is checked the better. It needs to be done by someone that knows the car and what to watch out for. I have had cars in for service and found major saftey issues. A race car gets insp. before every race do you think your Lambo is anything less then a race car for the street. JUST A LITTLE FOOD FOR THOUGHT

I totally agree with you that it's important to make sure the car will function safely at high speed but the dealer (none that I know of) will do this for you if it's just an oil change. They will do it (or at least say they will) for the lambo recommended service intervals but not if you just go in and say you want the oil changed. They will gladly just spend

I would say that if you don't trust yourself to do the work AND the inspection, then take it to someone you do trust (dealer or not) to perform the scheduled maintenance to the letter. Also, if you are going 200mph, then it should be at a track. Make sure you go to a track with trained safety inspectors who SHOULD catch major safety issues before you get on it.

Just for your guys info. With oil service its more then just oil & filter, if the tech knows what he is doing. The car needs to be insp. top to bottom to make sure it is safe to do 200 mph. If you do the service you need to be able to insp. every inch of the car and know its good. Could be as simple as a nail in a tire and if not found and the tire fails at speed could cost you alot more then a few bucks, could be your life. If you had a airplane, would you have it done by a pro who know what to look for and what to check? The more often the car is checked the better. It needs to be done by someone that knows the car and what to watch out for. I have had cars in for service and found major saftey issues. A race car gets insp. before every race do you think your Lambo is anything less then a race car for the street. JUST A LITTLE FOOD FOR THOUGHT

I totally agree with you that it's important to make sure the car will function safely at high speed but the dealer (none that I know of) will do this for you if it's just an oil change. They will do it (or at least say they will) for the lambo recommended service intervals but not if you just go in and say you want the oil changed. They will gladly just spend

I would say that if you don't trust yourself to do the work AND the inspection, then take it to someone you do trust (dealer or not) to perform the scheduled maintenance to the letter. Also, if you are going 200mph, then it should be at a track. Make sure you go to a track with trained safety inspectors who SHOULD catch major safety issues before you get on it.

Not all dealers are the same. But at LOC if a car went onto a rack even if it was no service the tech or myself would insp. the car. I did a oil & filter the other day 250.00 and we insp. every thing did tire pressures torq wheels and check and top off coolent leavl and check clutch wear made sure car was safe for high speed driving. Yes the price would have been more at our dealer more over head. But the point is if car went up in the air it got insp.. On a small job my techs would not get other work to much risk of something not getting done right.

It takes more then 10 min to change oil & filter. Must rack car. run untill engine is hot. Loosen filter cap so filter can drain.

Drain oil sump. Drain oil tank. Repl. crush washers. Clean plugs and torq. Clean area so no drips. Check tire pressures. Insp. Lower car repl filter and clean any drips. Add 8.5 qts oil. Run engine untill 90c coolent temp and atleast 80c oil temp and check oil leavl. Clean car. Thats more then 10 min and I have worked on cars for going on 24 years and Lambos for 10+. Are tech did not clean the car it went to detail for that but when the car is at the dealer its expected.

If they change just oil & filter you should not be going there. I fell one of the dealer/shop most important thing is to make sure the car is safe.

As far as speed yes a closed corse is the best place to run fast but thats not the real world. During the Lambo brunch a few weeks ago we had a group of cars push into the 190 to 200 mph range. They did not plan on it but they found clear road and one went for it and others followed. All ways best to know you car is ready even if you dont go there.

@jefflambo

$250 seems like a fair price to me. I'd take my car to you that price and service (if I wasn't already doing it myself) but I don't believe that is the norm. And yes, it takes me about 10 minutes of actual work (not including the draining time) to change the oil as suggested by Lamborghini. You are including extra stuff...

Don't get me wrong. I follow the service intervals and if I'm changing the oil, I'm doing lots of other stuff so quibbling about the time it takes is kind of pointless. I also inspect frequently between intervals. My issue is with the dealers who really ONLY change the oil and then charge $450+ (not yours since you have explained your price and service). Most owners will opt to go to the dealer, if just to stay clean. But I encourage people to find reasonable prices for the service they receive.

Out of curiousity, how much do you charge for a clutch (e-gear) change?

@jefflambo

$250 seems like a fair price to me. I'd take my car to you that price and service (if I wasn't already doing it myself) but I don't believe that is the norm. And yes, it takes me about 10 minutes of actual work (not including the draining time) to change the oil as suggested by Lamborghini. You are including extra stuff...

Don't get me wrong. I follow the service intervals and if I'm changing the oil, I'm doing lots of other stuff so quibbling about the time it takes is kind of pointless. I also inspect frequently between intervals. My issue is with the dealers who really ONLY change the oil and then charge $450+ (not yours since you have explained your price and service). Most owners will opt to go to the dealer, if just to stay clean. But I encourage people to find reasonable prices for the service they receive.

Out of curiousity, how much do you charge for a clutch (e-gear) change?

I would hope the other dealers arent just doing oil & filter safty must be first.

The new clutch assembly is 4500 at lambo stuff + fluids and labor about $6200. Thats done right with the wear inducators reset with the laptop and updated softwear if ness.

Not all dealers are the same. But at LOC if a car went onto a rack even if it was no service the tech or myself would insp. the car. I did a oil & filter the other day 250.00 and we insp. every thing did tire pressures torq wheels and check and top off coolent leavl and check clutch wear made sure car was safe for high speed driving. Yes the price would have been more at our dealer more over head. But the point is if car went up in the air it got insp.. On a small job my techs would not get other work to much risk of something not getting done right.

It takes more then 10 min to change oil & filter. Must rack car. run untill engine is hot. Loosen filter cap so filter can drain.

Drain oil sump. Drain oil tank. Repl. crush washers. Clean plugs and torq. Clean area so no drips. Check tire pressures. Insp. Lower car repl filter and clean any drips. Add 8.5 qts oil. Run engine untill 90c coolent temp and atleast 80c oil temp and check oil leavl. Clean car. Thats more then 10 min and I have worked on cars for going on 24 years and Lambos for 10+. Are tech did not clean the car it went to detail for that but when the car is at the dealer its expected.

If they change just oil & filter you should not be going there. I fell one of the dealer/shop most important thing is to make sure the car is safe.

As far as speed yes a closed corse is the best place to run fast but thats not the real world. During the Lambo brunch a few weeks ago we had a group of cars push into the 190 to 200 mph range. They did not plan on it but they found clear road and one went for it and others followed. All ways best to know you car is ready even if you dont go there.

Jeff

There's a reason very few want to be Lambo or Ferrari techs. The flat rate times are silly especially for warranty work. While you may take the time to inspect as you say many don't and the prices charged by dealers and the perceived value as evidenced by this thread and many others speak for itself.

There's a reason that Lambo dealers are folding and the economy is a factor but $575 oil changes are a big part of it.

Years ago I set up a private shop to service my cars. I realise that hourly costs are easily $55 for a dealership and they have to mark that up but there comes a point where customers say "Goodbye".

An $80 oil filter is silly. I own cars that have won Le Mans with an filter you can buy at NAPA.

post-468-1253807260_thumb.jpg

Jeff

There's a reason very few want to be Lambo or Ferrari techs. The flat rate times are silly especially for warranty work. While you may take the time to inspect as you say many don't and the prices charged by dealers and the perceived value as evidenced by this thread and many others speak for itself.

There's a reason that Lambo dealers are folding and the economy is a factor but $575 oil changes are a big part of it.

Years ago I set up a private shop to service my cars. I realise that hourly costs are easily $55 for a dealership and they have to mark that up but there comes a point where customers say "Goodbye".

An $80 oil filter is silly. I own cars that have won Le Mans with an filter you can buy at NAPA.

Dam, This is your Garage?