$575 + Tax for oil change

Pokie

They are asking for $575 for the oil service NOT $275 for the oil service and $300 for the inspection.

There is a huge difference.

"They are asking for $575 for the oil service NOT $275 for the oil service and $300 for the inspection."

Are they doing front and rear diffs with the oil service? That does take more time, I change mine every time I do the engine oil, but I am probably more particular about my cars than most...

$300 would be reasonable, but Lamborghini Orlando, Fl also charges $565.00 inc. Tax.

The Oil Alone is $209, $81 filter, $5 washer/Gasket and $229 for Labor.

Yikes !

$300 would be reasonable, but Lamborghini Orlando, Fl also charges $565.00 inc. Tax.

The Oil Alone is $209, $81 filter, $5 washer/Gasket and $229 for Labor.

Yikes !

In August 09 Lambo sold 27 new cars in the US down 57% YOY.

In 09 so far they've sold 267 new cars in the US down 53% YOY.

Charging $575 for an oil change isn't helping to reverse that trend.

Charging $575 for an oil change isn't helping to reverse that trend.

Well food for thought. If they sell less cars then they need to charge more on the back side. They must make enough money to keep the doors open. Kinda a catch 22. Most of a car dealers profit comes from new cars that are sold.

If sales drops so dose service that means parts also. Money must come in some where. If they charged 300 for service

how many of you are going to rush out and buy a NEW car?

... Most of a car dealers profit comes from new cars that are sold.

If sales drops so dose service that means parts also. Money must come in some where. If they charged 300 for service

how many of you are going to rush out and buy a NEW car?

Does most of the profit come from sale of a new car, rather than the years of servicing that same car will need over its LIFETIME? Are you sure of that?

Here is what I think, although I am not an expert:

A couple of clutches, tons of warranty work, and things like oil changes, periodic major services, and major breakdown repairs will produce tons of $$ for the dealer, much more than they made on selling a Lambo. These cars break down often, just like any other "Supercar".

Here is proof: There is a reason even small dealers of other types of cars have small showrooms, with huge repair bays attached to them. They know where their profit centers really are. Ditto for exotic dealers also. The shops are booked solid. The showrooms are empty of buyers.

If I owned a Lambo dealership, I would give away the cars at cost+, and make all the $$ on service. Seriously, not joking. But only to local buyers, so I would get the service. Nobody likes shippig their car to a distant service, so this is a no-brainer.

Here's the thing.

Lambo makes great cars but in these times people need to feel value.

I really think $575 for an oil change turns people off and that an oil change and full inspection can be done for $299 which IMO is not OTT.

I also think Lambo needs to freshen their product line and VAG needs to stop competing with Lambo with the R 10.

Wow, that's it?? I really had no idea that in all of the USA they only sell about 30 cars a month.

Isn't that what the owner manual recommends?

Yes, but so does the owners manual of my nissan truck, Subaru and Chevy truck all say but not many people follow that. Most likely 3K-4K -just wondering waht everyone else is doing.

7.5k miles is exactly what I do. The truth of the matter is that this car burns quite a bit of oil so you end up replacing almost half of it before you reach the interval. I've inspected the oil, filter, and any sediment on the plugs and there's nothing that indicates that the change is overdue after that many miles. Even if the car has been sitting for awhile, the oil shouldn't need to be changed any more than the suggested interval.

Yes, but so does the owners manual of my nissan truck, Subaru and Chevy truck all say but not many people follow that. Most likely 3K-4K -just wondering waht everyone else is doing.

7.5k miles is exactly what I do. The truth of the matter is that this car burns quite a bit of oil so you end up replacing almost half of it before you reach the interval. I've inspected the oil, filter, and any sediment on the plugs and there's nothing that indicates that the change is overdue after that many miles. Even if the car has been sitting for awhile, the oil shouldn't need to be changed any more than the suggested interval.

How many miles does your car have and how hard do you drive it? I know the manual states the engine may burn up to 1L per xx miles, but I haven't had to add any oil. It seems to be related to the engine's age

How many miles does your car have and how hard do you drive it? I know the manual states the engine may burn up to 1L per xx miles, but I haven't had to add any oil. It seems to be related to the engine's age

No, it's not the age that dictates consumption, it's the style of driving...If you're at the track keeping the RPMs at 6 - 8k all day, then it's going to burn a quart in about 1000 miles or less. If you're driving Miss Daisy around town, you're not going to burn anything.

FYI, I was pretty reasonable with my driving style, some spirited driving, but mostly cruising, etc...And I may have had to add 1 full quart over 5,000 miles (which is also when I'd change the oil - Every 5,000-6,000 miles) - Face it, it's cheap insurance.

No, it's not the age that dictates consumption, it's the style of driving...If you're at the track keeping the RPMs at 6 - 8k all day, then it's going to burn a quart in about 1000 miles or less. If you're driving Miss Daisy around town, you're not going to burn anything.

FYI, I was pretty reasonable with my driving style, some spirited driving, but mostly cruising, etc...And I may have had to add 1 full quart over 5,000 miles (which is also when I'd change the oil - Every 5,000-6,000 miles) - Face it, it's cheap insurance.

I know you change your own oil. But..... the original post by Pokie was a bitch about the charge of $575 + tax for an oil change, so I assume he doesn't think it's really such "cheap insurance". ;)

(IMHO) I think a lot of people have taken it upon themselves to be designers of exotic cars by re-designing their cars from what the car's original stylist(s) had in mind (a la modding). And, there are also many of folks who countermand what Lamborghini's (and the lubricant manufacturer's own) engineering dept. feels is correct and adequate (for normal street driving).

Will it hurt to do more frequent oil changes? Of course not; but it's kind of a waste of natural resources and 'moola'.

Once again, JMO. :)