Gallardo-related questions

Gallardo World

Hello everyone at Lambo-Power,

I've been around this site for quite a while now, but am now considering buying a used E-Gear Gallardo (as my first Lambo). Call me crazy, but I want to really use it as a city car once I return to LA (commuting to/from work daily and therefore, putting some miles on it).

However, I have certain questions to ask with regards to the car's ease of use (for those owners out there who can help me out). If something has been repeated previously, I'm sorry for not using the search function, but I went ahead since I have several questions.

1) Does the active suspension/lifting system feature (that raises the front end of car for speed bumps and low clearances) come standard or will I have to look for a specific MY? I have also heard that when the Sport button is pressed off, the car does the same activity and when on, it engages E-Gear.

2) So if "A" indicates Automatic transmission, how close to manual does the e-gear come? Is the car in neutral at stop lights when you wouldn't have to hold onto the brakes?

3) What about that awesome V10 in the back? Why have there been fires on numerous Gallardo's?

4) Are the folding mirrors standard as well (very suitable for LA parking)?

5) What is the coming home function?

6) Do the tool/fuse kits come with all Gallardo's?

7) And does every Gallardo have that security anti-theft system, where when you open the door, there is a noise?

Again, I apologize if some of the questions are redundant, but there are no Gallardo vehicle manuals online for me to view so I have to ask around.

Thanks for the assistance and looking forward to the first Lambo!

See answers below...

Hello everyone at Lambo-Power,

I've been around this site for quite a while now, but am now considering buying a used E-Gear Gallardo (as my first Lambo). Call me crazy, but I want to really use it as a city car once I return to LA (commuting to/from work daily and therefore, putting some miles on it).

However, I have certain questions to ask with regards to the car's ease of use (for those owners out there who can help me out). If something has been repeated previously, I'm sorry for not using the search function, but I went ahead since I have several questions.

1) Does the active suspension/lifting system feature (that raises the front end of car for speed bumps and low clearances) come standard or will I have to look for a specific MY? I have also heard that when the Sport button is pressed off, the car does the same activity and when on, it engages E-Gear.

Go with 05 or greater - they were standard I think Late in 05. Must have the lift system for reasons you mentioned.

2) So if "A" indicates Automatic transmission, how close to manual does the e-gear come? Is the car in neutral at stop lights when you wouldn't have to hold onto the brakes?

You will need to drive - it is for sure different than a pure manual gated shifter - You are just flipping the paddle when you want the automatic trans to shift. When you come to a light you would pull back on both paddles to put into Neutral or just leave it in first and hold in the break.

3) What about that awesome V10 in the back? Why have there been fires on numerous Gallardo's?

There have not been numerous fires - this is not an issue with the gallardo. yes there have been a few, most likely due to a service issues not design flaws.

4) Are the folding mirrors standard as well (very suitable for LA parking)?

Yes all years this was a standard option...

5) What is the coming home function?

This is an option on all years - Most have it.

6) Do the tool/fuse kits come with all Gallardo's?

Yes

7) And does every Gallardo have that security anti-theft system, where when you open the door, there is a noise?

Yes all have an alarm system. No nothing happens (or noise) if you open the door if you disarmed the alarm. If it is armed and you open a door - you would hear the alarm (which is loud). When you arm the car with the key fob - you do hear an audible chrip indicating that the car is armed.

Again, I apologize if some of the questions are redundant, but there are no Gallardo vehicle manuals online for me to view so I have to ask around.

Thanks for the assistance and looking forward to the first Lambo!

Thank you for your inputs. I believe that the 06-07 MY may be best in balance of performance, technology features, and value.

When I was mentioning the alarm system, I remember that at the dealership, when I opened the Gallardo's driver door, a hydraulic-like mechanical noise went off for a few seconds (it's not too loud but I was right next to the car)... is this any familiar?

As for driving, on the E-Gear panel the "A" button engages a fully automatic transmission, "low traction" button forces more driver assists in to help in weather conditions, and the "SPORT" option is to engage the full performance for a more racy/CORSA-like feel. What if none of the buttons are engaged--what mode is it in then?

And lastly, what are the most high-maintenance parts on a Gallardo (clutch, engine, brakes...)?

Thank you for your inputs. I believe that the 06-07 MY may be best in balance of performance, technology features, and value.

When I was mentioning the alarm system, I remember that at the dealership, when I opened the Gallardo's driver door, a hydraulic-like mechanical noise went off for a few seconds (it's not too loud but I was right next to the car)... is this any familiar?

As for driving, on the E-Gear panel the "A" button engages a fully automatic transmission, "low traction" button forces more driver assists in to help in weather conditions, and the "SPORT" option is to engage the full performance for a more racy/CORSA-like feel. What if none of the buttons are engaged--what mode is it in then?

And lastly, what are the most high-maintenance parts on a Gallardo (clutch, engine, brakes...)?

I believe the noise when opening the driver door is the E-Gear system, from what I've read on here in the past. The lift system is standard in MY05+.

If no buttons are engaged, it's.... "normal", for a lack of a better word. It's not in automatic mode (I haven't even tried my automatic mode..), it's not in sport mode and it's not in the rain/snow mode - it's just in the normal E-Gear mode, which you'll have to shift using the paddles. In my opinion, I think the easiest way to think of the E-Gear system is a clutchless six speed, with paddles instead of a shifter. If you're on a flat surface sitting at a red light in first gear, it won't move until you accelerate - it doesn't creep forward at a low speed when you immediately remove your foot from the brake like a true automatic will. It will, however, automatically shift into neutral after a few seconds if you're at a dead stop without your foot on the pedals.

The engine fires aren't common but there's a few cases if you search the boards.. from what I've read on the boards here, it seems to usually happen when your fuel tank gets overfilled if the nozzle doesn't automatically shut off and keeps pumping fuel, thus dumping fuel on the hot engine.. somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, please! Rule of thumb, for me anyway, stay next to the car when fueling up.. :icon_thumleft:

I don't have folding mirrors, a coming home/garage door function or a tool/fuse kit in my '08 Superleggera.. :( I love paying more for less :icon_butt:

-R

I believe the noise when opening the driver door is the E-Gear system, from what I've read on here in the past. The lift system is standard in MY05+.

If no buttons are engaged, it's.... "normal", for a lack of a better word. It's not in automatic mode (I haven't even tried my automatic mode..), it's not in sport mode and it's not in the rain/snow mode - it's just in the normal E-Gear mode, which you'll have to shift using the paddles. In my opinion, I think the easiest way to think of the E-Gear system is a clutchless six speed, with paddles instead of a shifter. If you're on a flat surface sitting at a red light in first gear, it won't move until you accelerate - it doesn't creep forward at a low speed when you immediately remove your foot from the brake like a true automatic will. It will, however, automatically shift into neutral after a few seconds if you're at a dead stop without your foot on the pedals.

The engine fires aren't common but there's a few cases if you search the boards.. from what I've read on the boards here, it seems to usually happen when your fuel tank gets overfilled if the nozzle doesn't automatically shut off and keeps pumping fuel, thus dumping fuel on the hot engine.. somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, please! Rule of thumb, for me anyway, stay next to the car when fueling up.. :icon_thumleft:

I don't have folding mirrors, a coming home/garage door function or a tool/fuse kit in my '08 Superleggera.. :( I love paying more for less :icon_butt:

-R

I see, so the E-Gear system sorts out some adjustments when someone enters/leaves the car... that's interesting.

As for "normal" mode, I'm assuming that it's similar to SPORT, but it's not as aggressive and not so hard on the engine/clutch. E-Gear seems really neat, but I've heard how many prefer the manual over it, so it just makes my choice harder. E-Gear seems to be better for my location though with plenty of traffic--especially how you don't have to keep your foot on the brake to avoid the small forward movement. And because it's somewhat automated/automatic, I predict the clutch won't burn as much and may last longer than a 6-spd. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for the advice/info; I feel bad for you since your Superleggera doesn't have those features, but I guess that's how you shred 154 pounds and accelerate 0-60 just as fast as a 1st-gen Murci. So, best way to keep away from those unfortunate disasters is to not overfill the fuel tank and watch how much is being pumped.

Also, I'm aware how the MY06 and onwards Gallardo's are better than the 04 and 05 because of a revised suspension and steering rack as well as the 20hp increase and lowered gear ratios so that there's all-out improvement in handling, acceleration, speed. Yet, what is with the newer exhaust system that is supposedly more dynamic? I also have heard that there's a switch to make the noise quieter in town... is this true?

And for MY08, is iPod connectivity stock? Or are there cars that don't have it? As for 2008, Lamborghini added an onboard computer to the Gallardo, but wasn't it already there?

• 2 weeks later...

And another question I was dying to ask: How low does the speed of the car has to be before the hydraulic front bumper lift can activate to pass the bump? Or.... does it have to be completely stopped?

I see, so the E-Gear system sorts out some adjustments when someone enters/leaves the car... that's interesting.

I believe the noise you hear when opening the door is the motor on the E-gear hydraulic pump spinning up. The transmission shifter as well as the clutch on the E-gear are controlled by hydraulic actuators. On a manual 6-speed, you need to push in the clutch (and/or select neutral) before you turn the key and start the engine. On an E-gear car the same has to happen, and it takes hydraulic pressure in the E-gear controller to do this BEFORE you turn the key. The motor starts when you open the door to give the system time to pressurize.

To answer your other question:

And another question I was dying to ask: How low does the speed of the car has to be before the hydraulic front bumper lift can activate to pass the bump? Or.... does it have to be completely stopped?

You can activate the lift while driving at low speeds, so you can push the button while approaching an obstacle and be "up" by the time you get there. If the nose is up when the speed exceeds 40 MPH (or something like that), the nose will come down automatically. You can't activate the lift above that speed.

I believe the noise you hear when opening the door is the motor on the E-gear hydraulic pump spinning up. The transmission shifter as well as the clutch on the E-gear are controlled by hydraulic actuators. On a manual 6-speed, you need to push in the clutch (and/or select neutral) before you turn the key and start the engine. On an E-gear car the same has to happen, and it takes hydraulic pressure in the E-gear controller to do this BEFORE you turn the key. The motor starts when you open the door to give the system time to pressurize.

To answer your other question:

You can activate the lift while driving at low speeds, so you can push the button while approaching an obstacle and be "up" by the time you get there. If the nose is up when the speed exceeds 40 MPH (or something like that), the nose will come down automatically. You can't activate the lift above that speed.

Ahhh... I see. Well, thank you for your help. Since most of my questions have been answered and I've conducted a fair amount of research, I'm ready to purchase a second generation Gallardo (MY06-08).... when I find one with the options mentioned in this thread at a reasonable price, I'll be sure to share the extraordinary experience with everyone here, but I don't think it'll be TOO soon because it'll take time to find the appropriate car.

And for those who are attending the Valentino Balboni event later today at LBH, see you there!