McLaren MP4-12C master thread, details

capt_chaos

Where the hell is this misinformation coming from? 2200lbs? 4000 a year??

The official word is around 1300kg and 1000 cars a year.

Correct. Was wondering about that also, I saw 2,600lbs and 1,000 units last week (and said so in this thread) only to see strange data coming from other non-LPower sources filtering in here.

Will be a hell of a car if the 2600lbs/600hp stats turn out to be accurate.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the impression you do not understand the real concepts of this car and the McLaren ethos.

Clothes do not make the man in the same the shell does not make the car.

sure

but they could put some more effort in designing something more "personal" as the car itself has many original points and advantages

the car numbers and the concept are GREAT!!!!!

but the design is really something like the average modern sport car....or the B video game car (with no license)

and it is not a good thing for a brand that is back to the game....

i agree about the form over function but the old lotus were also great looking cars (elan and esprit just to name 2)

they have no excuses for the design: it is plain boring and likely the biggest fault in a car that promise to be superb from tecnical POV

I think this looks better than the 458 or anything else out on the drawing board as of recent. The rear looks especially good with the high-mounted pipes and active wing. Should be much more impressive in person.

Looks aside, the specs on the car look incredible! Can't wait to find out more!

I think this looks better than the 458 or anything else out on the drawing board as of recent. The rear looks especially good with the high-mounted pipes and active wing. Should be much more impressive in person.

Looks aside, the specs on the car look incredible! Can't wait to find out more!

Unlike the 458 where we all know it's going to be just as weird in real life as it is in pics, the McLaren might be a better looking car in real life due to size and scale. It will appear much lower and wider than these pics suggest (as most supercars do), and it will look MUCH less like a next-gen Celica than it does here. :lol2:

It may be the sleeper hit of this segment, particularly with the specs. I will reserve judgement until more is known.

How would owners service this car?

I will never again purchase a car where the service dealer is in another city. I did this with my LP560 and with my SLR and it is a fcuking nightmare.

I will never again purchase a car where the service dealer is in another city. I did this with my LP560 and with my SLR and it is a fcuking nightmare.

Yes, very true. We're spoiled in SoCal for the most part, everything is close. But a McLaren service is something entirely different.

this thing is gonna take a crap on the LP560 and F458 if its in their price range. something tells me that with 1000 per year and a car built 100% from the ground up is gonna be far more expensive though. perhaps in the future Murcielago successor competitor.

this thing is gonna take a crap on the LP560 and F458 if its in their price range. something tells me that with 1000 per year and a car built 100% from the ground up is gonna be far more expensive though. perhaps in the future Murcielago successor competitor.

1000 per year looks quite optimistic for a brand that has to build dealers and service from 0.....

1000 per year looks quite optimistic for a brand that has to build dealers and service from 0.....

For the time being, at least, they're not looking to establish specific McLaren dealers at all (although I'd imagine that will change at some point before the launch of their 911 rival). The plan for the MP4-12C is to set up connections with existing exotic dealerships around the world.

Interesting that there's no attempt to sell the 12C through the bigger Mercedes dealers, however. Coupled with the entirely Mercedes-independent construction of the MP4-12C (even the engine, Merc's specialty), discontinuation of the SLR, expansion of AMG and the fact that the 12C competes at the same price point as the SLS, it really looks like Mercedes and McLaren have utterly parted ways outside of Formula One. I do wonder what the hell has been going on behind closed doors.

This month's issue of CAR magazine has oodles of info on the plan for McLaren Automotive, I highly recommend picking it up. There's a lengthy interview with Ron Dennis among other things. One quite refreshing element is that they're not cramming the F1 connection down peoples' throats for PR purposes- Lewis Hamilton hasn't even driven the car yet.

For the time being, at least, they're not looking to establish specific McLaren dealers at all (although I'd imagine that will change at some point before the launch of their 911 rival). The plan for the MP4-12C is to set up connections with existing exotic dealerships around the world.

Interesting that there's no attempt to sell the 12C through the bigger Mercedes dealers, however. Coupled with the entirely Mercedes-independent construction of the MP4-12C (even the engine, Merc's specialty), discontinuation of the SLR, expansion of AMG and the fact that the 12C competes at the same price point as the SLS, it really looks like Mercedes and McLaren have utterly parted ways outside of Formula One. I do wonder what the hell has been going on behind closed doors.

This month's issue of CAR magazine has oodles of info on the plan for McLaren Automotive, I highly recommend picking it up. There's a lengthy interview with Ron Dennis among other things. One quite refreshing element is that they're not cramming the F1 connection down peoples' throats for PR purposes- Lewis Hamilton hasn't even driven the car yet.

three reasons there:

A, M, G.

EVO Magazine interviewed Mclaren's Antony Sheriff regarding the design and styling of the 12C. The following is a link to three videos EVO added to their website:

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetevovideo...ren_mp412c.html

I love their design philosophy, everything was done they way it was for a reason regardless of how significant it may or may not be. Some of the things they applied to the car seem like common sense yet no one else seems to do it (the orientation of the lcd screen for instance.) I know some find that boring and lacking in spontaneity, which is understandable, but I really enjoy things like that. Definitely on the shopping list.

The SLR development caused a big rift between the two companies, also Mercedes has recently announced they plan to by into the Brawn Racing team has not helped matters. Although both companeis say they will remain partners, in F1 these partnerships can change at the drop of the hat. Although I do not for see it in the next few years as Mercede makes the best engine in F1 currently, plus with the unknown future of the other engine manufacturers, renault, and toyota. It would only leave McLaren with the choice of using the generic and unproven Cosworth engine.

Ditto!

Reading up on the car in EVO in my "study" and there are some great design touches.

By putting the seats closer together they have shrunk the dashboard. They have turned the sat nav/display on its head because when you think about it it makes sense.

The flappy paddles work on both sides just like the F1 cars because it is effectively a panel of wood on the back of the steering wheel.

The individual heater controls are on the doors. Great simple touches.

What is strange though is the head of design was involved in the project at the end and as added Leds on the front and a tweak of the engine bonnet. He is going to be focusing on the Macca F1 successor.

• 2 weeks later...
so do we know how much this thing weighs?

One of the magazines (I think it's evo) is saying 1300kg (2866lb) like it's the real figure, but officially that's still a ballpark approximation.

And now.... introducing, the Convertible! (And IMO, looks WAY too much like an F-Car, but not quite enough -_- , but not quite enough, therefore I WANT ONE!).....

f34_mclaren_ns_9998_101409.500.jpg

r34_mclaren_ns_9998_101409.500.jpg

And now.... introducing, the Convertible! (And IMO, looks WAY too much like an F-Car, but not quite enough -_- , but not quite enough, therefore I WANT ONE!).....

Frank Stephenson is to blame, as he also penned the F430 for Ferrari.

Still looks good thought, looking forward to the MP4-12 becoming a reality. :icon_thumleft:

Erm these are not offical photos are they? Look to studenty to be genuine imo.

Also according to the interview with Stephenson in EVO he practically admits to arriving so late on the project all he did was sign off on some LEDs and a bit of work around the engine bay.

Those are fakes I'm sure, the humps aren't even close to matching the rest of the car in the second pic and I haven't seen it in the news on any of the major sites.