3 sets seated calf raises

20 mins bike

supposed to do HIIT today. do not want to go! i'm usually back by this time :(

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a strange question for you guys:

Do you feel the muscle pain the day after your workout or the 2nd day? I mostly feel nothing the immediate day after and then get the hit on the 2nd day. So I tend not to work out until the sore feeling has totally gone, which can be 3 days. It may not be the norm but currently it's working great!

2nd day at first, but not so much now. It's important to NOT rest until soreness is gone, you'll be like starting over, because muscles have recovered to where they're comfortable. Don't let the muscles get comfortable. It's important to blast them the very next day so they respond.

Be a man!!! :icon_mrgreen: "Nut-up", work-out while sore, just lighten the weight a little for no injury,, but the body responds best under duress. It will compensate for the "new" activity quicker than waiting an 3 extra days.

"Everyone want to be a bodybuilder, but no one wants to lift these heavy ass nuts."

I read that somewhere and laughed. Back on topic :icon_mrgreen: .

2nd day at first, but not so much now. It's important to NOT rest until soreness is gone, you'll be like starting over, because muscles have recovered to where they're comfortable. Don't let the muscles get comfortable. It's important to blast them the very next day so they respond.

Be a man!!! :icon_mrgreen: "Nut-up", work-out while sore, just lighten the weight a little for no injury,, but the body responds best under duress. It will compensate for the "new" activity quicker than waiting an 3 extra days.

Very true. My football buddies, whom have amazing physiques (no homo), tell me always work through soreness, and I see amazing results. I bench press 3 days per week, for example, and my front shoulders explode with growth it seems every week (chest also).

I recovery fairly fast with a good diet and supplementation.

"Everyone want to be a bodybuilder, but no one wants to lift these heavy ass nuts."

I read that somewhere and laughed. Back on topic :icon_mrgreen: .

Very true. My football buddies, whom have amazing physiques (no homo), tell me always work through soreness, and I see amazing results. I bench press 3 days per week, for example, and my front shoulders explode with growth it seems every week (chest also).

I recovery fairly fast with a good diet and supplementation.

If you are doing that, make sure you target Rear Delts BIGTIME....

In High school, I had a huge chest and front delts, but had very little definition in my rear delts, and it makes a huge difference. That was all due to doing tons of Bench, Incline, Decline, dips, pushups, etc.

If you are doing that, make sure you target Rear Delts BIGTIME....

In High school, I had a huge chest and front delts, but had very little definition in my rear delts, and it makes a huge difference. That was all due to doing tons of Bench, Incline, Decline, dips, pushups, etc.

I agree. Rear delts get a decent amount of work when I hit my back (rows), but I still have a day dedicated to shoulders, and workout rear. I just got back from the gym...feels good!

dont forget to work your back or you will be folding forward and looking awkward

just came from the gym too, leg day

havent been able to do deads for a long time now

back has also been bothering me, may be i should let it rest more often from squats

ive had it happen twice in the last month where i have no legs for dancing because of working out..

Rawr,

Unless you plan on trying out for Linebacker for the local NFL team, competing in the Olympics or takin' on Rampage Jackson anytime soon, why are you deadlifting? It's only for explosion movements... All it does is make you thick and awkward looking and brings on injuries. Injuries not only from lifting "wrong" but from joint fatigue because you've been lifting "wrong" (i.e. not taking the proper time for the joints and cartilage to harden or adjust on pace or in tandem with the increase of weight you've been adding week per week trying to get to your "max" etc.).

Be careful doing that shit, you don't need it to get bigger or look better.

Rawr,

Unless you plan on trying out for Linebacker for the local NFL team, competing in the Olympics or takin' on Rampage Jackson anytime soon, why are you deadlifting? It's only for explosion movements... All it does is make you thick and awkward looking and brings on injuries. Injuries not only from lifting "wrong" but from joint fatigue because you've been lifting "wrong" (i.e. not taking the proper time for the joints and cartilage to harden or adjust on pace or in tandem with the increase of weight you've been adding week per week trying to get to your "max" etc.).

:headbang:

Been telling people this for years. Deadlifts suck. Most over rated exercise. Everrrrrrrr.

BTW, there's nothing like busting out good ol fashioned pullups for back :-). And if you're strong enough, pullups to pushups :-).

I used to train like that, I got stronger but never grew in size. This way I can actually see the difference because I'm getting bigger & growing stronger. I was thinking of hitting my chest today even though I have sore shoulders, but I really cba cooking tonight :lol2:

ahhh my legs are just KILLING me today! yesterdays workout:

10 mins bike

6 sets of squats

4 sets of lunges

4 sets of leg press

3 sets of leg extensions

3 sets leg curl

3 sets seated calf raises

20 mins bike

supposed to do HIIT today. do not want to go! i'm usually back by this time :(

fcuk that. Thats a ton of lower body. All I did on Saturday was 4 sets of 12 x 225lbs on squat, and I can barely walk today. Oh and 4x12 at 135lbs-deadlift. Swil the key is to go light and it also depends how you do it. I'm not doing the crazy 450lb deadlifts I was doing when I played ball.

All it does is make you thick and awkward looking

Really? Now I'm self conscious :icon_mrgreen:

post-20425-1269852483_thumb.jpg

Deadlifts are the shit!

Truth is, anyone who thinks, that they are totally useless, has no fcuking clue!

Rawr,

Well we are supposed to fight next week, but I don't know, all this deadlifting is making me thick and awkward....

Are you sure you were talking about deadlifts, because explosion movement is not really what deadlifts are about.

It is one of the core exercises, by your logic we could write off squats as well.. and then what do we have left?

Well we are supposed to fight next week, but I don't know, all this deadlifting is making me thick and awkward....

Are you sure you were talking about deadlifts, because explosion movement is not really what deadlifts are about.

It is one of the core exercises, by your logic we could write off squats as well.. and then what do we have left?

I think someone is confusing deadlift with a full dead/clean/press?

At any rate IMO they are fundamental strength movements and should always be integrated into any good workout.

oh, and rogue, that is SICK. Nice job on your progress. WHat does your program/diet look like right now?

Really? Now I'm self conscious :icon_mrgreen:

Awesome dude! I can only hope of being that size one day! :icon_super:

Several of you have mentioned losing weight by going through a sort of "Hell Week." What would that one or two weeks entail? I'm willing to try anything, as cutting back on food and doing cardio have dropped weight, but not in the time I've wanted. Was 237 in HS, now 205 in college. Want to lose about 25-30 pounds before Summer. I'm 5'9" btw.

oh, and rogue, that is SICK. Nice job on your progress. WHat does your program/diet look like right now?

Thanks man, right now I'm doing a hybrid power-lifting/ Olympic lifting program. Consisting of dynamic or volume days and max effort days. It can be a little tricky, I think I'm going to tweak it slightly in the near future. I cut the cardio back to 220 mins. a week.

As far as diet, Its not super strict right now. Just sort of maintaining while eating enough to try to add a little mass. Again, once I get the new routine nailed down I'll sort the diet out. I'm a really picky eater so its a challenge for me to come up with meals that I'll actually eat. I don't sweat the maco ratios to much (carbs:protein:fat) I just try and keep an eye on the caloric total when I'm maintaining.

Awesome dude! I can only hope of being that size one day! :icon_super:

Thanks man, best of luck :headbang:

• 7 years later...

BUMP :D

Gym time for me in about 30 mins.

Tweaked my back squatting, going to try to squat again today.

Also, got some gym shoes. Been working out in running shoes.

Rebought a pair of jaybirds cause my sweat wrecked my last pair.

Doing Squats, bench, over head press, SLDL, barbell rows, curls, donkey calf raises.

My goal is to lose 7lbs/month. I want to lose about 60-80lbs. Currently 235lbs. Want to get back to my standard weight of 180lbs, but maybe 160-165lbs .

Just hit a milestone birthday, so I'm really thinking about my long term health, more than ever before.

I really haven't been in a gym consistently since 2011, since I screwed up my back. Anytime I try to lift, the pain comes back. So, I go on and off, but I'm going to try to make it more of a habit with actual goals.

I really miss the gym. The feeling of getting in shape, the social aspect of meeting people/hot girls.

Going to warm up really well, stretch, focus strong on core/form .

Wish me luck!

Holy 8 year bump. :shock:

Strong bump :D

Or, does a new fitness thread need to be created?

I think we have enough fitness enthusiast on the forum to make a fitness thread work.

Good luck. With the injury and the age, take it easy. Build slowly, a little better every workout and you’ll be a beast in no time. It’s the steps backward that hold you back, not progressing slowly.

It sounds like you are no stranger to the gym but get a trainer. Chances are you find out your form sucks in the worst way. Warm ups have come a long way, much more effective, no static stretches, etc.

Again, good luck and have fun!