Rearview Mirror going bad

FLHOMESITE

Anyone know who that was? I can't find the thread and this happened to a friend's Gallardo. He's looking for info from someone that's been through it.

Happened to my Gallardo. 1/4 turn to the left and the mirror comes off of its mounting bracket (that stays on the glass).

That liquid will eat anything it touches. Put a few towels down before attempting. You may need some vise grips, as it is

a "hard turn" to get it off.

Thanks for the turning to the left suggestion it came off quite easily, but how do you unplug the connector?

I cut the wires, taped them, and stuffed them up in the molding.

• 2 weeks later...
How did you guys pop the mirror on the old ball mount? Don't want to put too much pressure on it and crack the screen and put some lube on it to no avail.

Its not the 'ball mount' that you pull it from. You follow the shaft all the way up to the glass window and unmount it from the glass window. Behind the black plastic is an actual metal mount that attaches to the glass. The metal mount stays, but you detach the black mirror shaft from it. apparently from this twisting to the left (counter clock wise). I have not done mine yet though.

Jon

• 1 month later...
Hello,

My mirror fell off the windshield. How do I remove the part from the mirror that attaches to the windshield so I can glue it back on?

The pedestal mount fell off?

The whole mirror including the piece that goes on the windshield fell off.

This happened to me as well last year. All you have to do is buy an extra glue kit and then glue the mirror with the metal tab attached to a thick glass such as a table top and let it dry completely and then twist it off. The metal tab should now stick to the glass top, take a needle nose plier and twist the tab off PARALLEL to the glass top surface. You can clean the excess glue off with a fresh new razor blade. You can substitute the glass top with a mirror that you have laying around and wouldn't mind breaking it if something goes wrong. Also, you scratch the back of the metal tab with a tip of the utility knife to give a mechanical lock when glueing it back to the windshield.

• 1 year later...

Still having issues with this , is this plastic piece supposed to pop off from the metal bracket on the windshield or do we completely remove the metal bracket? If we have to completely remove it, please advise how. We tried everything from a heat gun, to floss, to a razor blade, wd40, etc.

Thanks

20131211_234049__Medium_.jpg

Mine looks nothing like that. I have a roadster. Is this even a murci mirro that you took a photo of (or is it a gallardo?) My 06 is non electrical, pretty straight forward rear view mirror, I have taken it off at least 1/2 a dozen times now (since my initial post) and I was correct on the approach, but the photo you show is not of the same setup, so my explanation does not apply.

So yes, I'd be very careful following anyones advice on how to remove it, unless they have that same setup.

it looks like a murci given the dash light.

it does look like a gallardo mount, maybe the two cars use the same parts. why do you need to remove the mount? i just snapped in the mirror into the ball mount and reconnected the wire (if needed).

btw, i sent in the mirror for repair so i can retain the auto dimming function. the replacement shop uses a thicker gel and new seals so it won't fail easily. it cost about $100.

This is for an 03 Murci, I bought a non dimming replacement and cant seem to pop it back on (and frankly dont want to risk it).

djantlive, I didnt know they could be fixed for that cheap, thanks.

If I cant find a way to fix it, I will take it to the local shop.

here is the non dimming mirror on the original mount. this is on a gallardo but u get the idea.

you tried spraying some lube on the mirror socket? turn the mirror clockwise while pushing it into the socket. it takes some muscle but should be much easier than pulling off the old one.

post-22371-1387238196.jpg

post-22371-1387238205.jpg

here is the non dimming mirror on the original mount. this is on a gallardo but u get the idea.

you tried spraying some lube on the mirror socket? turn the mirror clockwise while pushing it into the socket. it takes some muscle but should be much easier than pulling off the old one.

Yep, thats what I have, the non dimming version. Mine looks just like the gallardo non dimming one.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced my old mirror on my 04 Gallardo. The replacement was the standard non dimming one. From Lamborghini the number is 8D0857511A and cost $57.

• 5 years later...
On 12/12/2013 at 2:49 AM, Camel Toe Juice said:

Still having issues with this , is this plastic piece supposed to pop off from the metal bracket on the windshield or do we completely remove the metal bracket? If we have to completely remove it, please advise how. We tried everything from a heat gun, to floss, to a razor blade, wd40, etc.

Thanks

20131211_234049__Medium_.jpg

Did anyone ever figure out how to remove this part?