Lexus LF-A

Benkei

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've had a day to stew over this car, and came to pretty much the same conclusion as everyone else. It's the money, that's the only problem.

Looks are subjective, it's just too steep for a front engined Toyota everyone could mistake for a Supra with a body kit.

Doesn't the Carrera GT go up to like 9,000 RPM for pretty much the same price now, albeit gently used.

This car is stereotypical Lexus. If you're 65 and want to impress your grandchildren and go fast, this is the car for you

For my 400 grand, I'd take the (supposedly) less expensive, lighter, and mid-engine McLaren MP4-12C.

wow, talk about everyone being quick to pass judgment. basically a day or two have gone by and all of a sudden this car is boring and emotionless.

this car will be the next SLR in my opinion as long as someone gives it the opportunity.

when the SLR came out it was all "its ugly it looks like a penis,,overweight, overpriced compared to a Carrera GT, wtf automatic?, bad brakes, SL55 on steriods" etc etc. then people got to driving the car and what-do-you-know?!

the LF-A has an amazing engine by the specs and sounds. and though the front looks messy and off, the rest of the car is gorgeous. infact its lowness and sleekness reminds me a lot of the SLR.

its also lighter than an F430 or F458. its gonna be a very quick car.

the problem here is that it doesnt belong. people dont know what to think of a supercar with a "L" on the front. this is something Audi took good care of when they released the R8 V8. It wasnt a supercar, but it was a stepping stone. they saw people's reactions to the mid engined Audi before they went ahead with the more expensive V10 (and probably more supercars to come). its also gave people some time to get used to the idea of an Audi supercar. Toyota/Lexus jumped straight into this one and are hoping for the best.

wow, talk about everyone being quick to pass judgment. basically a day or two have gone by and all of a sudden this car is boring and emotionless.

this car will be the next SLR in my opinion as long as someone gives it the opportunity.

when the SLR came out it was all "its ugly it looks like a penis,,overweight, overpriced compared to a Carrera GT, wtf automatic?, bad brakes, SL55 on steriods" etc etc. then people got to driving the car and what-do-you-know?!

the LF-A has an amazing engine by the specs and sounds. and though the front looks messy and off, the rest of the car is gorgeous. infact its lowness and sleekness reminds me a lot of the SLR.

its also lighter than an F430 or F458. its gonna be a very quick car.

the problem here is that it doesnt belong. people dont know what to think of a supercar with a "L" on the front. this is something Audi took good care of when they released the R8 V8. It wasnt a supercar, but it was a stepping stone. they saw people's reactions to the mid engined Audi before they went ahead with the more expensive V10 (and probably more supercars to come). its also gave people some time to get used to the idea of an Audi supercar. Toyota/Lexus jumped straight into this one and are hoping for the best.

This car is nowhere CLOSE to an SLR's power output. Weight? You have no idea what the TRUE weight of the car is, just as you don't with the 458. Toyota is saying 3,250lbs, which will likely wind up being "3,400lbs" when it's actually wet and gassed up to go. This car will be lucky to handle an LP560, which is a car that costs 50% less than this Supra.

And btw, it's not all wine and roses from the press:

"We drove the LFA on secondary roads, on the autobahn, and on the Nürburgring grand prix circuit. Are we impressed? Yes and no. There are two areas - engine characteristics as well as clutch and gearbox action - where the ultimate Japanese sports car fell somewhat short of our expectations. Co-developed with Yamaha, the 552-hp, 4.8-liter V-10 is without a doubt a mechanical masterpiece. It will thrust the LFA from 0 to 62 mph in 3.7 seconds and on to a top speed of 202 mph (according to Lexus). Impressive enough - but by no means in an orbit of its own. A Nissan GT-R, which is a fraction of the price, shaves at least one-tenth off the LFA's acceleration time. A Corvette ZR1 is a few clicks faster overall. And both cars produce significantly more torque at lower rpm. That's where the real dilemma of the Lexus lies: too many revs for not quite enough grunt, 6800 rpm for 354 lb-ft of torque. On the racetrack, the LFA formula works very well. On the road, however, you often find yourself with 4000 or 5000 rpm to play with when what you really need is an instant kick in the butt."

Great, a Supra that has too little torque and costs $375k, that's a winning forumla for sure. :rolleyes:

This could have been a great chapter in Japanese automotive history, instead it's a rediculously overpriced/underperforming reason to buy a used Porsche CGT, McMerc SLR, or even a Ferrari 599 for LESS money...

Let me ask you a question:

I give you $450k. This, or an LP670-SV?

Case closed, thanks for playing Nima. :icon_mrgreen:

Im not saying its the next SLR because its going to be as fast as an SLR. You interpreted it completely wrong. Im saying people are passing judgment way too quickly without having driven the car, just like most did with the SLR.

you also forget that although the LF-A doesnt have 616 hp, it does weigh 600 lbs less than a SLR or 599. ill bet that this thing will be just as quick as a 599.

as for your quote from the magazine... well you could replace "LF-A" with just about any other car, as the ZR1 one of the fastest car out there, and the GTR is one of the quickest to 60. infact the performance claimed by lexus is the same as the LP560's. as for the torque, if it wasnt for most people's natural ferrari-love, the V8 ferraris would probably be getting the same comments (some journalists actually do). a japanese car thats not a torque monster, who would have thought?!

moreover, we dont know anything about the LF-A's overall performance. looking at the GTR's specs on paper would never have led us to believe its as quick as it is. perhaps the same thing could apply to the LF-A. we dont know.

the reason for the price is that there are only 500 built. thats 1/3 the number of either SLRs or Carrera GTs.

This or an LP670? LP670, because I like it more. not because Im considering the money. the LP670 is also a different type of car. I would take the LP670 over the SLR and CGT too. up against a 599 or SLR, there will be enough people that would prefer the lighter, higher revving LF-A that they will sell them all. the LF-A is more of a very exclusive, very powerful sportscar, as opposed to a GT. I think the closest performance competitor to the LF-A will end up being the 458.

Although I do agree paying 400K for a Lexus will be turning people off a bit, and that it would have been better for them to take Audi's approach to introducing a supercar. also, they would be better off making more of them at a lower price. that being said, this will be a rare car.

The quote was not about a ZR-1 or GT-R. It was about the woeful lack of torque and poor driving experience due to a shitty transmission. It is what it is.

At this price point I have strong doubts about their ability to even move half of the 500 unit production. They can't even sell a hundred Zondas a year, yet this Supra is going to move 500 units?

The most hilarious thing I've read about the car so far:

Q: What is the fastest Ring time the LF-A achieved?

A: Well, actually, we don't feel this car is about lap times so we're not willing to comment on that.

Word for word from the car's cheif designer.

Translation: We can't even beat the $80k GT-R's time, so we'll focus on other aspects. Did we mention how much carbon fiber is in our car?? :lol2:

You are going to be sadly disappointed when this car's numbers are published Nima. Just not enough power, particularly torque. If they had given it a 700hp powerplant, there would be no debate. As it is, it's a joke.

you also forget that although the LF-A doesnt have 616 hp, it does weigh 600 lbs less than a SLR or 599.

What?

The SLR weighs about 3700 with a half full tank of gas. This car will come in at about 3500, no 600lbs difference. Add to it the much better power band and torque curve of the slr, the cf chassis, and so on...

This is no SLR! It is too noisy and to high revving to be as usable as it and lacks the grunt to be as fast as it.

And let´s be honest, it looks abolutley horrible! :icon_mrgreen:

I dont think this car will stand a chance against a 599. Those things can move. But I agree with all the points Mako is making especially. I also agree in that Lexus should have tried their hand at the sports car market before they tried the exotic car market.....

This cars problem is that since its original proposal, cars have gone past it, the car was planned years ago. 4.8 liters is not going to give supercar torque unless FI is used. Furthermore, I think the styling is ok for a 50K car, but for this, honestly I want a mid-engined car. For 400K it should be mid engined.

they should of slapped two turbos and dropped it down to at least $120K then we have been having a car worth talking about. :lol2:

Just read via Lexus forums the LFA will not be sold through dealer networks. Potential customers will have to order and customize directly with Lexus Corp USA. Other qualifications must be met (looking for owners who will actually drive the car and track it, not just garage it, among other things) then the car will be shipped to the dealer of customers choice. The select few owners chosen will be notified in February 2010. Seems like over 200 examples will make it stateside, the rest will be for other countries with 128 available for Japan.

A racing version seems to be planned as well potentially called the LFA-R.

What?

The SLR weighs about 3700 with a half full tank of gas. This car will come in at about 3500, no 600lbs difference. Add to it the much better power band and torque curve of the slr, the cf chassis, and so on...

This is no SLR! It is too noisy and to high revving to be as usable as it and lacks the grunt to be as fast as it.

And let´s be honest, it looks abolutley horrible! :icon_mrgreen:

the LF-A weighs ~3250 lbs. an SLR weighs about 3800.

the LF-A weighs ~3250 lbs. an SLR weighs about 3800.

Again, you have no clue what the LF-A weighs wet, with gas, on an American scale. Stop parroting Toyota and use your head Nima.

Again, you have no clue what the LF-A weighs wet, with gas, on an American scale. Stop parroting Toyota and use your head Nima.

you're just clearly being bias. on one hand "we dont know the weight, we cant speculate on it" on the other hand we can speculate about how fast its going to be, how comfortable it is, how good it is to drive etc etc. come on Mako! you're better than that! we know what the car weighs. Lexus says its 3250 pounds. no car manufacturer lies about the weight of their cars. lambo and ferrari claim dry weighs, and they state so. its people's fault for then comparing those weighs to curb weighs with gas and all. lexus claimed 3800 lbs curb weight for the ISF and thats exactly what it was. using our heads, there is absolutely no reason to doubt the LF-A's claimed weight. one thing we dont know for sure that everyone is putting an emphasis on intheir judgment, is the price (something that might actually be different in america. a kilogram is a kilogram in any country).

im not saying this car is going to be a certain way, im saying that given the facts, there is a lot of potential that people are just throwing out the window because the car is a Lexus.

I havent read the mag reviews yet, but from what you're telling me, there is mixed feeling about this car. there was also a lot of mixed feeling abotu the SLR. mags RAGGED on the brakes. they HATED the use of the automatic gearbox. and at the time, its pricetag was laughable. then when Joe and Allan got their hands on it and people gave the car an oportunity, their opinions changed.

looking at a 350-400K pricetag, versus an SLR that was 450K (IIRC), the LF-A will be more rare, it will still have luxury (hey its lexus), it will likely be more track friendly though slower in a straight line (we dont know, but we do know its not going to be slow).

anyways, I gotta go to calculus :icon_mrgreen:

full tank? scales have differet calibations too. taking SportAuto asa standard (since they weigh the cars with a full tank), they said about 3800 lbs.

My SLR weighs 3700 pounds.

Psssh What you would know!? :rolleyes: Thats just your opinion! :icon_mrgreen:

I just cant get past the fact that this, like most other cars out of japan, while great and very well built, will lack that soul neccessary to truly compete with the europeans and be a great car. Its what they always said about the NSX, it was a great car, just without a soul.... I dont think the LF-A will differ from this. While you say its a matter of opinion NIma, its an opinion formed on past experience.....

you're just clearly being bias. on one hand "we dont know the weight, we cant speculate on it" on the other hand we can speculate about how fast its going to be, how comfortable it is, how good it is to drive etc etc. come on Mako! you're better than that! we know what the car weighs. Lexus says its 3250 pounds. no car manufacturer lies about the weight of their cars. lambo and ferrari claim dry weighs, and they state so. its people's fault for then comparing those weighs to curb weighs with gas and all. lexus claimed 3800 lbs curb weight for the ISF and thats exactly what it was. using our heads, there is absolutely no reason to doubt the LF-A's claimed weight. one thing we dont know for sure that everyone is putting an emphasis on intheir judgment, is the price (something that might actually be different in america. a kilogram is a kilogram in any country).

im not saying this car is going to be a certain way, im saying that given the facts, there is a lot of potential that people are just throwing out the window because the car is a Lexus.

I havent read the mag reviews yet, but from what you're telling me, there is mixed feeling about this car. there was also a lot of mixed feeling abotu the SLR. mags RAGGED on the brakes. they HATED the use of the automatic gearbox. and at the time, its pricetag was laughable. then when Joe and Allan got their hands on it and people gave the car an oportunity, their opinions changed.

looking at a 350-400K pricetag, versus an SLR that was 450K (IIRC), the LF-A will be more rare, it will still have luxury (hey its lexus), it will likely be more track friendly though slower in a straight line (we dont know, but we do know its not going to be slow).

anyways, I gotta go to calculus :icon_mrgreen:

I've been very clear. I speculate about nothing, all my comments come from people WHO HAVE DRIVEN THE CAR. They're the ones who have clearly said it lacks torque, feels weak at low rpms, has a wonky single-clutch tranny that "isn't nearly as sharp as anything Italian currently" (their words, not mine). Also, and I can't make this any more clear for you, the car has NOT BEEN WEIGHED by anyone. Period, end of story. You are simply parroting Toyota's own "3,250lbs." figure when you talk about it. Until it's wet, on a scale, with gas, we have no clue what it weighs.

So don't throw out the "biased" card when YOU are the one who is being biased, accusing the membership of being elistist. In fact you're lucky I let that skate, as no one here needs to be lectured by a teen on how they are ignoring this car's wonderful awesomeness due to its badge Nima. Be careful with that stuff please. It's perfectly OK for our business-minded members to say "this car won't sell because it's a Toyota". It has nothing to do with being elitest, it's simply an accurate estimate of the strength of their brand at this price point at this time when looked at from a market standpoint.

murclovr is the one who actually has it right, this was a car greenlit as a $150,000 model to battle the 997TT and other cars in that class years ago. Unfortunately due to everything we've all talked about the car migrated into a 500-unit limited production loss-leader...but with the same 4.8L engine that was intended for the $150,000 version.

It's sad, if they had just found a way to FI that powerplant, or perhaps use a heavier 650hp V12 in the car (gaining weight in exchange for more power), none of us would question their sanity. It would make sense as a halo car in the same vein as an Enzo or CGT. As it is, it's a $375,000 Nissan GT-R. :icon_mrgreen:

I've been very clear. I speculate about nothing, all my comments come from people WHO HAVE DRIVEN THE CAR. They're the ones who have clearly said it lacks torque, feels weak at low rpms, has a wonky single-clutch tranny that "isn't nearly as sharp as anything Italian currently" (their words, not mine). Also, and I can't make this any more clear for you, the car has NOT BEEN WEIGHED by anyone. Period, end of story. You are simply parroting Toyota's own "3,250lbs." figure when you talk about it. Until it's wet, on a scale, with gas, we have no clue what it weighs.

So don't throw out the "biased" card when YOU are the one who is being biased, accusing the membership of being elistist. In fact you're lucky I let that skate, as no one here needs to be lectured by a teen on how they are ignoring this car's wonderful awesomeness due to its badge Nima. Be careful with that stuff please. It's perfectly OK for our business-minded members to say "this car won't sell because it's a Toyota". It has nothing to do with being elitest, it's simply an accurate estimate of the strength of their brand at this price point at this time when looked at from a market standpoint.

murclovr is the one who actually has it right, this was a car greenlit as a $150,000 model to battle the 997TT and other cars in that class years ago. Unfortunately due to everything we've all talked about the car migrated into a 500-unit limited production loss-leader...but with the same 4.8L engine that was intended for the $150,000 version.

It's sad, if they had just found a way to FI that powerplant, or perhaps use a heavier 650hp V12 in the car (gaining weight in exchange for more power), none of us would question their sanity. It would make sense as a halo car in the same vein as an Enzo or CGT. As it is, it's a $375,000 Nissan GT-R. :icon_mrgreen:

Well Stated :icon_super:

And you got to use the word "Wonky". My 21 YO daughters' favorite word :icon_mrgreen: