Lexus LF-A

Benkei

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking more and more lately that 375K isnt that bad. It may not be the fastest in every single respect, but the performance is probably among the best out there. It's also incredibly unique. Even though there will be less SV's than LFA's, the SV still is a M at heart and looks like one. 458 will probably be better, but there will be tons of them produced and it won't be that much cheaper.

It's looks are love it or hate it, but you'd be paying a lot more for something like this if it came from one of the boutique manufacturers -- sans the new McClaren perhaps.

no way will the 458 be anywhere near that in price. the 458 will be 75g's cheaper minimum. they wont cross into the 599 pricing.

no way will the 458 be anywhere near that in price. the 458 will be 75g's cheaper minimum. they wont cross into the 599 pricing.

The two payment lease alone is going to kill the car in the US market, all other issues aside.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll easily be able to hit $300K with the 458. 16M was over $300K, wasn't it?

You'll easily be able to hit $300K with the 458. 16M was over $300K, wasn't it?

I thought the US price was somewhere in the $200k range. I'll check my sources.

• 2 weeks later...

Car and Driver drove it recently and had the chance to strapped timing gear onto it:

LFA PERFORMANCE:

Zero to 60 mph: 3.7 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 7.8 sec

Zero to 130 mph: 12.9 sec

Zero to 150 mph: 18.3 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 11.8 sec @ 124 mph

Scale real-world weight: 3,583lbs.

A stock LP560 would demolish every number in this test, and an LP570 or LP670 would leave it bus-lengths behind. Hell, a 997.2 TT would handle this car.

Just a few years too late to be relevant it seems, Toyota took too long to pull the trigger.

Full text including their "so-so" opinion of the car here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10..._take_road_test

Car and Driver drove it recently and had the chance to strapped timing gear onto it:

LFA PERFORMANCE:

A stock LP560 would demolish every number in this test, and an LP570 would leave it bus-lengths behind.

That's not the real rub. Buyers are required to keep the cars two years no matter what. That's a lifetime with exotics. So, lets say you hate the car. Good luck waiting for two years to sell the thing while the market for the car tanks. The ONLY people who are going nuts about it and defending the car as a winner are those not qualified to buy it on the forums in the first place. I've yet to find a single post anywhere where someone in the US is saying they are definitely buying one. Meanwhile Lexus is continuing to make outrageous claims about demand and if someone buys that hype, I think they should sue the hell out of Lexus for making false and misleading statements about demand. I believe the only purpose for the lease is for Lexus to protect itself from the glut of used LFAs on the market before all 170 are sold.

Remember, this car was claimed to be sold out in Japan in January and now suddenly there are 20 more cars available for the US market? WTF?

I'm a Lexus owner and what I liked most about the brand was the fact that it more than delivered on the marketing. The LFA is the first car that's been the complete opposite, where I constantly hear hype that just doesn't fit with the overall condition of the market. Hopefully the truth comes out soon and Lexus learns not to bullshit the exotic market.

Agree Tommy, and Lexus fans on this board are rare. LS460 is a great great car, the fact that it doesn't have an "S550" or "750iL" badge on it is irrelevant to me.

I didn't mention the forced-lease aspect of the LF-A in my post because I find it so hilariously rediculous that it can't be comprehended. Is this a 250-unit Ferrari anniversary mega-car that's going to appreciate over the next decade? Because it LOOKS like a Lexus that spent too much time in the oven and can't outperform a 1/4-cost ZR-1 or 997TT...

The market situation for this car is so mind-bogglingly bad that I can't believe they greenlit it at all.

I wouldnt be so quick to jump on the numbers and discount the car. Its clear that from a brand-image standpoint, lexus has no merit in ever having produced this car at this price. but when you look at the numbers, this test wasnt a full test of the car's abilities and yet these numbers are pretty close to what they got with the LP640 (roadster).

alas, the supercars world moves fast (literally and figuratively speaking) and this car is about 5 years too late and a couple hundred grand too expensive. and in a world were the entry level lambo is making about 600 hp, its just not enough. which is a shame really, considering the reviews of this car have all been positive. everything from the sound to the handling to the build quality. I think those who passed the car off right from the get-go as a soul-less japanese playstation are probably very wrong. but I cant agree with that price tag (potential buyers probably cant either)

demolish is a bit strong, it would be close..... I've seen real world numbers for the LP560 at the drag strip and it's not trapping any higher.....

LFA PERFORMANCE:

Scale real-world weight: 3,583lbs.

A stock LP560 would demolish every number in this test, and an LP570 or LP670 would leave it bus-lengths behind. Hell, a 997.2 TT would handle this car.

Just a few years too late to be relevant it seems, Toyota took too long to pull the trigger.

Agree Tommy, and Lexus fans on this board are rare. LS460 is a great great car, the fact that it doesn't have an "S550" or "750iL" badge on it is irrelevant to me.

I didn't mention the forced-lease aspect of the LF-A in my post because I find it so hilariously rediculous that it can't be comprehended. Is this a 250-unit Ferrari anniversary mega-car that's going to appreciate over the next decade? Because it LOOKS like a Lexus that spent too much time in the oven and can't outperform a 1/4-cost ZR-1 or 997TT...

The market situation for this car is so mind-bogglingly bad that I can't believe they greenlit it at all.

Yes, I feel like I'm in crazy town when I go on the Lexus forum and people defend the lease. They no nothing about the exotic market and can't stand me for raising the reality of the situation. I go there with the hope of some sane discussion and some are, but overall, what a hostile place when interjecting reality into the discussion.

I just got back from a long trip with my Lexus and really enjoyed the trip. It was nice to not get the attention of the Phantom for once and just go about my business. It's a wonderful car for what it's intended to do. I look at the LFA, read the numbers, hear the hype and see the lease (intended to only protect Lexus) and it's like an entirely different company where hype overshadows common sense. It's really tarnished my image of the brand. I thought this was once a tough forum. It's nothing like those guys. It's completely overly moderated to the point where there is no serious debate. Disagreeing based on facts and common sense branded me as a troll! Wow! Makes me love LamboPower even more because there is so much common sense in various debates here and I actually learn something.

I wouldnt be so quick to jump on the numbers and discount the car. Its clear that from a brand-image standpoint, lexus has no merit in ever having produced this car at this price. but when you look at the numbers, this test wasnt a full test of the car's abilities and yet these numbers are pretty close to what they got with the LP640 (roadster).

alas, the supercars world moves fast (literally and figuratively speaking) and this car is about 5 years too late and a couple hundred grand too expensive. and in a world were the entry level lambo is making about 600 hp, its just not enough. which is a shame really, considering the reviews of this car have all been positive. everything from the sound to the handling to the build quality. I think those who passed the car off right from the get-go as a soul-less japanese playstation are probably very wrong. but I cant agree with that price tag (potential buyers probably cant either)

You're saying what every review of the car seems to imply over and over and over yet nobody in the press comes out and calls it as it is. A terrible performance value. Keep in mind too that some of the cars won't be built for two years AFTER they begin formal production. Can you imagine what will be out by then? It's more like this car is seven years too late for what it is. There are lots and lots of Lexus fans defending it, but when you ask if they have pulled out their checkbook, they all start the personal attacks. This is the first time I've ever seen an "Emperor's New Clothes" go so far in a company. I think this will go down as textbook corporate dysfunction on an amazing scale.

This is the first time I've ever seen an "Emperor's New Clothes" go so far in a company. I think this will go down as textbook corporate dysfunction on an amazing scale.

It's insane. It really is as if Toyota is being run by multiple groups of people and not one singular executive branch with a unified vision for what the brand identity is.

They should have killed this car and written off the loss a year ago. Honda was wise to do the same with their future NSX concept.

They should have killed this car and written off the loss a year ago. Honda was wise to do the same with their future NSX concept.

I dont think there was any need to kill the car. most of the production is in-house isnt it? so what stopped them from saying "lets not build 500, lets build 5000 or 50,000" and price it accordingly. I mean, if this was purely in R8/911 territory, Id think it would be a huge win for Lexus.

seeing how this car is being praised for its balance, quality and precision, I sorta wish Toyota would come out on in a couple of days and say "April fools!" :lol2: and then reveal a new price tag. its pretty clear this thing had so much potential :crybaby2:

I dont think there was any need to kill the car. most of the production is in-house isnt it? so what stopped them from saying "lets not build 500, lets build 5000 or 50,000" and price it accordingly. I mean, if this was purely in R8/911 territory, Id think it would be a huge win for Lexus.

seeing how this car is being praised for its balance, quality and precision, I sorta wish Toyota would come out on in a couple of days and say "April fools!" :lol2: and then reveal a new price tag. its pretty clear this thing had so much potential :crybaby2:

I think the car was in that gray area, where they couldn't easily retool for another car that would never been a huge seller because of the category in which it sits. I think the cost to ramp up production is huge! Instead, I think they decided that the segment fell into a small batch where they could learn something about the segment, test the waters, and see how they could leverage the technology in some way. They are all "hand built" which has its own definition. I too think they would have been better off just killing it before it was too late. Now they have a big credibility problem if it doesn't sell. I seriously can't find a single buyer who's willing to come forward and talk about their order.

I think the car was in that gray area, where they couldn't easily retool for another car that would never been a huge seller because of the category in which it sits. I think the cost to ramp up production is huge! Instead, I think they decided that the segment fell into a small batch where they could learn something about the segment, test the waters, and see how they could leverage the technology in some way. They are all "hand built" which has its own definition. I too think they would have been better off just killing it before it was too late. Now they have a big credibility problem if it doesn't sell. I seriously can't find a single buyer who's willing to come forward and talk about their order.

wouldnt the revenues be even more grand? or am I making the mistake of assuming it would sell in a lower price catagory?

I keep thinking back to the F40 were they tripled (or quadrupled) the production. that was probably a good decision in light of the demand (which probably doesnt exist here), but if a relatively small time company could do it, with purely hand built cars and constricted production lines, whats stopping Toyota?

wouldnt the revenues be even more grand? or am I making the mistake of assuming it would sell in a lower price catagory?

I keep thinking back to the F40 were they tripled (or quadrupled) the production. that was probably a good decision in light of the demand (which probably doesnt exist here), but if a relatively small time company could do it, with purely hand built cars and constricted production lines, whats stopping Toyota?

I think to hit big numbers they would have to be in the $100k range. I don't think it would outsell Gallardos in the same price. Possibly the R8, or something along those lines. I don't know why they decided to go so high end out of the box, especially with something that doesn't really stand out in the numbers. Who knows what they were really thinking. I have a hunch that bureaucracy and group-think took over and all logic went out the window as nobody wanted to tell the Emperor he wasn't wearing clothes. Yet, the Lexus fans think it's going to be a hot investment. It's really something to watch. I don't recall ever seeing anything like this in my adult life.

This car is the biggest proof that Customer Loyalty is grand. Nothing more really. What else can it prove?

That Japan can build a car to compete with Ferrari and the rest?

NSX and GTR

That Japan can build a car that had good driving feel?

NSX

That Japan can build a car to compete with Ferrari and be reliable and of decent quality?

NSX

That Japan can build a car that's blindingly fast?

GTR

That Japan can build a fast car without racing heritage?

Theoretically GTR

Have I missed anything? The NSX in it's prime (91 - 92, not the last model) and the GTR did all these things already, so it's not the issue with Japan. They're obviously capable.

The only thing Lexus has, is that it's the first Japanese Luxury brand to build a supercar for the international market (Acura is in Hong Kong and North America only). And that doesn't say much.

The only thing the car has going for it is the Lexus reliability and finish that you get with all Lexus'...

This car is the biggest proof that Customer Loyalty is grand. Nothing more really. What else can it prove?

That Japan can build a car to compete with Ferrari and the rest?

NSX and GTR

That Japan can build a car that had good driving feel?

NSX

That Japan can build a car to compete with Ferrari and be reliable and of decent quality?

NSX

That Japan can build a car that's blindingly fast?

GTR

That Japan can build a fast car without racing heritage?

Theoretically GTR

Have I missed anything? The NSX in it's prime (91 - 92, not the last model) and the GTR did all these things already, so it's not the issue with Japan. They're obviously capable.

The only thing Lexus has, is that it's the first Japanese Luxury brand to build a supercar for the international market (Acura is in Hong Kong and North America only). And that doesn't say much.

The only thing the car has going for it is the Lexus reliability and finish that you get with all Lexus'...

We don't even know it will be more reliable. Keep in mind this is a low production hand built car with few in actual road test. I'm sure then send out more initial test production all over the world than total LFAs built in six months. I doubt seriously that the production model will have anywhere near the road mile testing of the production cars.

As for why, who knows, it may have been a dinner bet.

We don't even know it will be more reliable. Keep in mind this is a low production hand built car with few in actual road test.

Well we do know that it absolutely will have the fastest unintented acceleration within their model range. So they've got that going for them. Which is nice.

;)

Has this been posted yet?

LF-A Nurburgring Edition

I cant tell a lie. I like this one a bit. The color makes it look a bit more special than the plain white they keep showing. I think in darker colors it may look half way decent. Had they bumped hp by at least 100hp to 650hp instead of a measily 10 it could have been a contender.

I think Toyota/Lexus should have just freshened up the Supra added power, handling and interior overhaul and offer it for GTR money and call it a day instead of this overpriced, overengineered, overweight car. Though its faster I couldnt see buying it over a discontinued Ford GT, Gallardo SV, F430 Scud even ZR1. If they could have kept it at 3000 lb area it would have been right there with the big boys.