Lexus LF-A

Benkei

Well we do know that it absolutely will have the fastest unintented acceleration within their model range. So they've got that going for them. Which is nice.

;)

WAIT! This may be the key selling point! Car comes with a built in excuse to speed!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant tell a lie. I like this one a bit. The color makes it look a bit more special than the plain white they keep showing. I think in darker colors it may look half way decent. Had they bumped hp by at least 100hp to 650hp instead of a measily 10 it could have been a contender.

I think Toyota/Lexus should have just freshened up the Supra added power, handling and interior overhaul and offer it for GTR money and call it a day instead of this overpriced, overengineered, overweight car. Though its faster I couldnt see buying it over a discontinued Ford GT, Gallardo SV, F430 Scud even ZR1. If they could have kept it at 3000 lb area it would have been right there with the big boys.

You summarize what just about all the magazines say indirectly most of the time. That's not the real barrier to sales. The biggest barrier is that required two payment lease. You're money is tied in a car you may completely hate for two years after you receive it! That's the big rub!

You summarize what just about all the magazines say indirectly most of the time. That's not the real barrier to sales. The biggest barrier is that required two payment lease. You're money is tied in a car you may completely hate for two years after you receive it! That's the big rub!

No I get that its just that given its performance and price why would someone even consider doing that stupid lease for a car that isn't exotic looking [especially from the front], cant keep up with much cheaper cars like the 560-4/GT2/ZR1/Viper etc etc. I guess for the rarity someone with the disposable cash would. Too many drawbacks to even consider jumping through Lexus hoops for one though imho.

Well, I've just been asked to exit the Club Lexus Forum LFA thread because I was asking hard questions about Lexus marketing tactics. They supposedly increased the allocation to 250 cars for the US market and I asked how and that hell that's possible if demand is so high everywhere? Keep in mind they claimed the Japan allocation was sold out in January. Obviously for there to be 250 cars for the US market, up from 150, there had to be weaker demand somewhere else.

Now there are posts saying that Lexus is changing the lease program and that 50 cars are now allocated to dealers. Interesting. It wasn't that long ago that Lexus claimed that 400 buyers were in line and that 150 lucky owners would be selected, then it was 170. Something is either in error in their marketing or someone is trying to create a false market. Still, one of the moderators doesn't like the fact that I question the facts and wants me off the thread. He must work for Lexus.

I still believe there is little to no demand for the LFA. I still believe that Lexus doesn't have a clue how to sell these cars and are scrambling for answers. To me they started out on the wrong foot by arrogantly claiming to know more about marketing cars than the exotic culture itself. Consequently, this will likely end badly. Again, I'll ask the question, does anyone reading this thread know anyone anywhere who's buying an LFA?

I am too lazy to read :icon_mrgreen:

can somebody please give me a run down on their selling strategy? Thank you.

The car is butt ugly I don't care how fast and how good it sounds I would be embarrassed to be seen in one.

Supra replacement for GTR money would've worked without any doubt, this will not!

I am too lazy to read :icon_mrgreen:

can somebody please give me a run down on their selling strategy? Thank you.

The car is butt ugly I don't care how fast and how good it sounds I would be embarrassed to be seen in one.

Supra replacement for GTR money would've worked without any doubt, this will not!

In a nutshell, it started when Lexus claimed they were "selecting" buyers, as if demand was so high they could do that. I called them on it on the Lexus forum and got flamed by the Lexus fan boys. Keep in mind, I've had four and have one now. Second- they announced the two payment lease. $300k up front, the balance in two years. They hold title until that second payment two years out. Lexus claimed this was to keep the speculators out. I said bullshit once again, that Lexus was doing this so they wouldn't have to compete against themselves in the used market. Next they announced they would allocate all US cars within 122 days. Really? Not possible when then total number of cars sold in all brands above $350k is around 300 to 400 cars in the US market at the moment. Again, I got flamed and warned that I'd be kicked off the forum. Finally today, Lexus is now claiming that wow, they found another 100 cars for the US market! Where did they come from when they are only building 500 and claimed that Japan was sold out in January? Anyhow, all of it appears to be hype from someone. I think the car is bombing in the market as we all suspected it would because of price/value/looks, etc. Still, it's an "emperor's new clothes" mentality and nobody wants anyone to ask the hard questions. Oh, on top of all this, nobody on the Lexus forum says they are actually buying one, nor are there any exotic owners who've stood out and declared themselves as such.

thank you Tommy, what's the final price of the car?

I think their strategy backfired.

On the two payment lease it works out to around $400k.

On the two payment lease it works out to around $400k.

Ok that's insane because that makes it $800k where I am.

Link to the thread on the Lexus forum Tommy?

Club Lexus, then the Cars forum near the bottom then the LFA thread. I don't think LP allows for links to other forums. Apparently they had complaints about me. The reality is they don't want anyone asking the hard questions asked on this forum and any other exotic forum every day of the week. I'm not out to start forum wars. That's not the point. I think what Lexus has put out is highly misleading and I've been calling them on it.

Im sorry, but this car is a complete joke. And For them to ban you or complain about you because you question the tactics of this car is a complete joke. Obviously if it wasnt true, id want you around so I could throw it in your face but those douches cant handle the fact that Lexus walked blindly into a market they knew nothing about, built a mediochre supercar, tried to charge WAY to much, and had the arrogance to treat it like its the next pinnacle ferrari. Sometimes you just have to admit you were wrong and move on. For the money, why would anyone want a car that lacks the performance, is completely untested, and in my personaly opinion, doesnt look the part?! $175,000 and these would be jumping out of showrooms...

• 1 month later...

lol @ this thread

In the land of Porsche and Ferrari, Lexus sports car proves an easy sell

Selling the Lexus brand in the backyard of BMW, Audi and Mercedes is tough enough. But promoting the Japanese brand's LFA sports car to an elite European clique accustomed to Porsche and Ferrari must be a hopeless cause, right?

Actually, the pitch has been easier than expected.

Parent Toyota already has booked orders and taken down payments for all 500 of the $375,000 sports cars it plans to build over the model's life.

Lexus isn't giving details of orders by region. But it says that a third of the orders from Europe were placed in Germany. Lexus brought eight of those buyers to this year's Nurburgring 24-hour endurance race in Germany to wine and dine them as two LFAs competed at the legendary circuit. Each buyer already had plunked down 100,000 euros ($125,715).

The future LFA owners said they were looking for a different car that exudes performance and prestige without being flashy or overwrought. Europeans also appreciate the doting customer service offered by Lexus, a refreshing contrast to the haughty elitism of rival brands.

One buyer, a manufacturing engineer who declined to be identified, compared the LFA to owning a rare, ultraexpensive mechanical wristwatch. "To most people, it's an unknown quantity," he said. "But true aficionados know its value."

Manfred Sattler, the owner of a software company and an auto racing team, picked the LFA primarily because it is different. As a German with a 500-hp Hummer H2 and two Dodge Vipers in his garage, he has an eye for the unorthodox.

Said Sattler: "About 20 years ago, I said I'd never drive a German."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1#ixzz0pYkjfkbb

lol @ this thread

In the land of Porsche and Ferrari, Lexus sports car proves an easy sell

Selling the Lexus brand in the backyard of BMW, Audi and Mercedes is tough enough. But promoting the Japanese brand's LFA sports car to an elite European clique accustomed to Porsche and Ferrari must be a hopeless cause, right?

Actually, the pitch has been easier than expected.

Parent Toyota already has booked orders and taken down payments for all 500 of the $375,000 sports cars it plans to build over the model's life.

Lexus isn't giving details of orders by region. But it says that a third of the orders from Europe were placed in Germany. Lexus brought eight of those buyers to this year's Nurburgring 24-hour endurance race in Germany to wine and dine them as two LFAs competed at the legendary circuit. Each buyer already had plunked down 100,000 euros ($125,715).

The future LFA owners said they were looking for a different car that exudes performance and prestige without being flashy or overwrought. Europeans also appreciate the doting customer service offered by Lexus, a refreshing contrast to the haughty elitism of rival brands.

One buyer, a manufacturing engineer who declined to be identified, compared the LFA to owning a rare, ultraexpensive mechanical wristwatch. "To most people, it's an unknown quantity," he said. "But true aficionados know its value."

Manfred Sattler, the owner of a software company and an auto racing team, picked the LFA primarily because it is different. As a German with a 500-hp Hummer H2 and two Dodge Vipers in his garage, he has an eye for the unorthodox.

Said Sattler: "About 20 years ago, I said I'd never drive a German."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1#ixzz0pYkjfkbb

Lol that you think this PR piece means anything

Lol that you think this PR piece means anything

Couldnt have said it better myself. Like Tommy and I went back and forth on. We have owners of EVERY MAJOR MARQUIS on this board. Zondas, Veyrons, lambos, ferraris, and so on. And not one person, here, not one at all has mentioned they are getting one. Not even on ANY of the other forums. Just seems unlikely with such a high demand. I mean hell, it seems like half the population on F-chat is getting a GTO! With each piece like this that comes out I just dislike the car even more!

Maybe someday United Nations is searching North Korea for nuclear missiles and quartermillion of gaschambered people.

Then finds a document which clearly shows that Kim Jong-Il actually had 100 LF-A:s on order,

but then in the last minute decided to change them for weapongrade uranium or 20000 Daffy ducks.

It's not rocket science, but it is fun. The exhaust note of that new Lexus LFA you've just ordered will shatter a champagne flute at 170mph, and there's a video to prove it.

It's the latest TV ad from Lexus in the US, who claim the unique sound of 552hp engine shatters the glass without the use of CGI or camera tricks.

We're told the car company employed a renowned physicist from a leading university to help determine which type of champagne glasses have the same frequency as the LFA's revving engine. (The pitch of the glass needed to precisely match the pitch of the engine in order for the flute to shatter.)

Racing car driver Scott Pruett then "drove" on the dynamometer until the engine revved to 7,000-9,000 rpm, creating the right frequency of vibration to break the glass....

It looks like a 80k car tops. Wow, I am not a Lexus fan, but this really is a joke. It looks like a 6 year old body design. It is late, the body was probably designed 6 years ago!! Reminds me of a GTR meets R-8.

• 4 weeks later...

the car has a lot of good things going for it except the price.... They should have revisited their manufacturing of their carbon chassis prior. Instead of using that expensive carbon looming method go with the cheaper method like how mclaren did their monoque chassis. Then they could put probably put that car in the 150-200k bracket and sell more of them at a possible profit...

Guest Rob Burgundy

Just checking into this thread to make sure this car is still gay....yep,all is well. See ya later