Revving Problem

sprite

Ok, so my car did this when it was new, then it stopped, now 19k miles later the problem has resurfaced again.

Sometimes after coming to a complete stop the car revs up to redline by itself before settling down at idle speed. It makes me seem like the biggest douchebag ever. The other day my car revved up next to a Mustang in stop and go traffic who then proceeded to try to show off in return. It has revved up next to old people who just give me an evil stare, and I'm sure if I don't get this resolved soon it will rev up next to a cop.

I know there was an update a while back for something related to the TBs, could my car be missing this update?

Jeff or anyone have any suggestions?

ive seen this on non exotics where the cruise control cable gets sticky and revs up to 3k when in neutral but to redline im not sure about that

good luck

ive seen this on non exotics where the cruise control cable gets sticky and revs up to 3k when in neutral but to redline im not sure about that

good luck

Well that's definitely not it since there is no cruise control :)

They are electronic throttle bodies so something is causing that...Does it rev up rapidly, or slowly?

It almost sounds like the throttle bodies are trying to calibrate themselves or something..

I believe there was a software update for the throttle control a while back, perhaps I'm missing this update?

It's pretty much like it goes WOT from idle, bounces off limiter once or twice and then settles back down to normal idle.

It's very weird that my car did it when it was new and now it resurfaced.

I asked Jason if it could have anything to do with the AEM, but he said throttle input and throttle bodies are still controlled by the original computer.

The only thing I can think of is if it has something to do with the e-gear since we put a new clutch it in. I am going to switch my stopping technique to shifting it into neutral instead of letting it manually go into 1st and see if it still occurs.

It also seems to be very random. It happens only in stop and go situations such as driving through an area with a lot of stop signs or in stop and go traffic.

I will bring it to a dealer as I need an oil change anyways.

LOL that must be lots of fun. Yes ther was a throttle body ECU update. But even if it was updated it could or sound like it has a issue what I would call a major safty issue and I would recomened to get it to a dealer as soon as you can.......

One of my customers SL had ETB ECU issue a while after it was replaced as part of the update. At our dealer we did have some others malfuntion. But never the issue you are having. Get it checked.

I've never heard of that. That would definitely make me feel like an ass.

I ask the question only because it settles the idling when I do this. I then turn the AC back on and all is well.

I ask the question only because it settles the idling when I do this. I then turn the AC back on and all is well.

I think Chip was responding to Sprites problem, not your suggestion.

I did recently have the AC compressor replaced and the problem surfaced shortly after that. I will take it to a dealer, it's hard to reproduce though without a lot of driving. It seems to only happen when coming to a stop, if it where to happen in gear it would be a MAJOR safety issue like Jeff mentioned.

hopefully its something the dealer has seen before so you just describing it will be enough for them to fix it or tell you a solution

The very first night I had my car I had a similar experience. I was going for a spirited drive and stopped at a red light. The car was in sport mode and it was revving from idle to 3k-4k rpm (not quite redline) for a few seconds.

I freaked out and just sat there until it stopped. It probably did it for about 5 seconds, the longest 5 seconds of my life since I didn't want people to think I was a dbag. lol, I know the feeling.

It hasn't happened ever since then.

The very first night I had my car I had a similar experience. I was going for a spirited drive and stopped at a red light. The car was in sport mode and it was revving from idle to 3k-4k rpm (not quite redline) for a few seconds.

I freaked out and just sat there until it stopped. It probably did it for about 5 seconds, the longest 5 seconds of my life since I didn't want people to think I was a dbag. lol, I know the feeling.

So both are 08 MY SLs with similar symptoms. I hope I can figure out what is causing it.

This is a VERY serios safety concern. Get it fixed ASAP.

Jefflambo: Maybe a grounding problem or short in some wiring or circuit board that shoudl be normally closed? I am guessing the throttle bodies are electrically operated (drive by wire) rather than by vacuum or a cable? Just guessing at this point....

• 4 weeks later...

well I'm in chicago so the AC is not on. the first time this happened an 85 year old lady was waling right in front of me thought she had her last several heart beats.

the dealer here in chicago is scared to mess with it since it is a TT. the car is not an SL though but an 08'

there are throttle bodies on this car?

Sprite,I think Jason mentioned you. do you mind calling me at 312 263 2400 ask for austin.

yes this seems like it could be very dangerous is somehow the car decided to do this rev and throw it in gear at the same time and someone was walking in front of me.

has anyone heard of any type of network for lambo technicians. i'm sure individual dealers like mine havent seen this problem but maybe lambo headquarters has had feedback and can lead me to a cure since i do not think it is an issue of it being tt.

thanks again

The throttle body's are fly by wire. The ECU that controls them is the ETB ecu. I have not seen this issue on a stock car. I would start with replacement of the ETB ecu and go from there. Since you cars dint have warranty maybe the two that are having the issue can go in on one ETB ecu and see if it solves the issue then if it dose not you are not out as much.

My car did it when it was new as well. Then it stopped doing it. It did not immediately do it after getting the twin turbo system. It started doing it again after they replaced my AC.

I think Alex @ SP Engineering said he had encountered the problem to. Alex want to chime in?

The problem seems isolated to 08 cars. Jason mentioned that the 08s have new throttle bodies and a TB ECU from the previous cars.

I took my car to the dealer. They are blaming it on the AEM throttle position sensor somehow interfering. I do not think this is the issue since my car also did it when it was new.

I am gone in Europe for 2 months, so hopefully someone can figure this out in the meantime so I can get it fixed when I come back.

It was revving from idle to 3k-4k rpm (not quite redline) for a few seconds.

I experienced the same thing about 4-5 months ago - she went from idle to 3k-4k rpm for around 4-5 seconds. I was told that it was caused by the throttle bodies, although I forget what the more technical reason was. I have never had an issue since so I've never pursued it.. I also have an '08 Superleggera, by the way.

-R

My car did it when it was new as well. Then it stopped doing it. It did not immediately do it after getting the twin turbo system. It started doing it again after they replaced my AC.

I think Alex @ SP Engineering said he had encountered the problem to. Alex want to chime in?

The problem seems isolated to 08 cars. Jason mentioned that the 08s have new throttle bodies and a TB ECU from the previous cars.

I took my car to the dealer. They are blaming it on the AEM throttle position sensor somehow interfering. I do not think this is the issue since my car also did it when it was new.

I am gone in Europe for 2 months, so hopefully someone can figure this out in the meantime so I can get it fixed when I come back.

The 08 got the new TBs and new TB ecu that was not ever used on any other cars. On 07 and down cars the ETB are controlled by the LIEs. ON the 08 cars they are controlled by a new ETB ecu, first year for it and we did have a update to replace out all the ETB ECUs in the 08 cars, most got done before the cars sold.

The 08 got the new TBs and new TB ecu that was not ever used on any other cars. On 07 and down cars the ETB are controlled by the LIEs. ON the 08 cars they are controlled by a new ETB ecu, first year for it and we did have a update to replace out all the ETB ECUs in the 08 cars, most got done before the cars sold.

Is it possible mine never got replaced?

Would think if my car had an outstanding campaign that the dealers would have discovered it by now.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this old threat up... my 08 Superleggera just had the same issue after a stop and go traffic... it revved up to around 2.5rpm in 1st gear (stationary), then when I put it into Neutral (N), it revved up even higher until I tapped the throttle a bit and it settled itself down...

Called the dealer and the dealer told me that if it happened again, bring the car in and they acknowledge thie problem in stop and go traffic too...

Anyone got a confirm answer to this? is that the TB or the ECU that's on its way out?

Thank heaps!!!

richie

• 8 months later...
Sorry to bring this old threat up... my 08 Superleggera just had the same issue after a stop and go traffic... it revved up to around 2.5rpm in 1st gear (stationary), then when I put it into Neutral (N), it revved up even higher until I tapped the throttle a bit and it settled itself down...

Called the dealer and the dealer told me that if it happened again, bring the car in and they acknowledge thie problem in stop and go traffic too...

Anyone got a confirm answer to this? is that the TB or the ECU that's on its way out?

Thank heaps!!!

richie

DID YOU GET THIS ISSUE RESOLVED????

IF SO, WHAT WAS THE OUTCOME????