2010 Dodge Viper ACR Record Lap at Laguna Seca

Mbn

Looks like a very manageable car to drive on track which such an abundance of power/torque available.

What car was the previous record held by?

Looks like a very manageable car to drive on track which such an abundance of power/torque available.

What car was the previous record held by?

A Viper based new production car called a Devon GTX. It did a 1:35.0. It uses the Viper chassis and engine and is a bit lighter and makes 650hp. So the heavier, less powerful 600hp 2010 ACR beating it by almost 2 seconds is a serious serious statement. They changed 5th gear ratios directly because of the last Ring video. So its 14 seconds faster to top speed than the older cars. Cant wait for the follow up run on the Ring. I think it will be a factory effort this time around.

Devon GTX

devon-gtx-driving.jpg

Really wish they would have put in some lightweight reclining seats to replace those heavy leather ones along with a lightweight titanium exhaust. Easy 100lb saving right there. The older ACR's time was 4+ seconds faster than the Nissan GTR and Porsche GT2 on Laguna Seca as well.

This new one is about 1 second faster per lap than the older model. Nasty nasty street/track car for the money[99k]. You will have to go waaaay north of 500k to mess with one on the track. Would love to see a Super Leggera 560-4 version come for this Viper.

Video of the Devon GTX running the Laguna Seca previous record.

ACR Laguna Seca record

Really wish they would have put in some lightweight reclining seats to replace those heavy leather ones along with a lightweight titanium exhaust. Easy 100lb saving right there. The older ACR's time was 4+ seconds faster than the Nissan GTR and Porsche GT2 on Laguna Seca as well.

This new one is about 1 second faster per lap than the older model. Nasty nasty street/track car for the money[99k].

amazing how the new minor changes effected the car performance so much !

Ralph and the engineers really did an amazing job.

Nice car !

The ACR offers a lot of car for the money.

This car is probably the best bang for buck track car available. Exotic owners don't really care at the end of the day, because ones a Lamborghini, and ones a Viper, but I wonder what all those ZR1 owners are preaching.

This car is probably the best bang for buck track car available. Exotic owners don't really care at the end of the day, because ones a Lamborghini, and ones a Viper, but I wonder what all those ZR1 owners are preaching.

ZR1 is more of a GT cruiser. ACR is a race track warrior. Two different cars for different purposes, imo.

In a straight line, it's lights out for the ACR. For the track, it's the opposite.

ZR1 is more of a GT cruiser. ACR is a race track warrior. Two different cars for different purposes, imo.

In a straight line, it's lights out for the ACR. For the track, it's the opposite.

Agreed. Both built for different purposes. Both are phenomonal at what they do. Love em both. Id love to see a race between the 2010 non ACR Viper and a 2010 ZR1 to 200mph. Cant believe that there has been no head to head magazine test between these two since they have both been out so long. Or for that matter owners racing and getting it on video. Strange imho. I think the ZR1 would get to 200 faster than the pre 2010 Vipers[non ACR] but I believe that with this new gearing the Viper may be right there with the ZR1. I read with the new gearing its some 14 seconds faster to its top speed.

Agreed. Both built for different purposes. Both are phenomonal at what they do. Love em both. Id love to see a race between the 2010 non ACR Viper and a 2010 ZR1 to 200mph. Cant believe that there has been no head to head magazine test between these two since they have both been out so long. Or for that matter owners racing and getting it on video. Strange imho. I think the ZR1 would get to 200 faster than the pre 2010 Vipers[non ACR] but I believe that with this new gearing the Viper may be right there with the ZR1. I read with the new gearing its some 14 seconds faster to its top speed.

Is the new gearing in all 2010 Vipers or just the 2010 ACR's? Do you or anyone else know?

2008-2009 Viper's would see major taillights from the ZR1 from a 50-200 race. I have been and raced both, and the ZR1 is significantly quicker, ESPECIALLY past 150.

with those diffusers and wings, I wouldnt be surprised if the nonACR Viper was faster than the ACR to 200.

Is the new gearing in all 2010 Vipers or just the 2010 ACR's? Do you or anyone else know?

2008-2009 Viper's would see major taillights from the ZR1 from a 50-200 race. I have been and raced both, and the ZR1 is significantly quicker, ESPECIALLY past 150.

I read an article that made it sound like all Vipers got this gearing upgrade. No first hand info. This article, however, sounds like its only the ACR getting the gearing upgrade. http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2009/11...ack-record.html . Looks like its lights out for the normal Vipers unless they get this gearing then. As for the race between the 08-09 Viper vs ZR1 I agree.

Lambornima yes the non ACR Vipers are much faster than the ACRs in the straights. Too much downforce on the ACRs to be a top speed threat thats why Id like to see a race between the non ACR Viper and ZR1 as they are better matched for an all around test. I think the ZR1 is faster in the straights and maybe twisties than the non ACR Vipers but we wont know for sure until we get a decent head to head. Would love to see a 560-4 and 997 GT2 thrown in the mix on such a test too...

Ya, I did some research too and it sems like only the ACR's are getting that upgrade. It's really too bad because the Viper in general REALLY needed it!!

Ya, I did some research too and it sems like only the ACR's are getting that upgrade. It's really too bad because the Viper in general REALLY needed it!!

I just got this excerpt from Viper Club. Looks likes the gearing is upgraded on BOTH models......

"New across the Viper lineup is a shorter fifth gear ratio (changing from

0.74 to 0.80) for improved high-speed acceleration and higher straightaway

speeds. Acceleration from 0-200 mph has improved by 14 seconds. This

improvement is a direct result of the Chrysler Group LLC Street and Racing

Technology team's experience at the 12.9-mile Nürburgring Nordschleife

circuit in Germany where during the lap-record run in 2008, it was found

that a revised gear ratio would have resulted in higher top gear

acceleration and a quicker lap time."

Finally they addressed the gearing issue that plagued all Vipers. Wonder how well this new gearing would work if it were paired with a 3.55 rear end on an ACR? Probably hurt top speed a bit but the accelreration should be even quicker across the board which should make it faster still around a track.

the new gearing effects all vipers.

the ACR wont be faster to 200mph simply because its drag limited to 184mph (180mph previous years) but no question it will reach top speed faster than previous years ACR's !

IMHO its really above any American sports car (minus the ford gt since i never had a chance to test one)