Need help - key remote and key will not open door

roncfpz

Key fob remote will not open door. Changed the battery in remote and still does not work. Tried to manually open door with key and nothing. Turned it both ways 90 degress and nothing. I've read something about "recovery" in driver side door but no details or simple solution to get this car open. Any idea?

From what I heard...You REALLY have to turn the key when you use that emergency flap to open it.

Once you get it open, I think to reprogram it all you have to do is stick key in ignition turn ignition on, but do not start. Press lock/unlock. Remove key. It should now be programmed.

Thanks guys. Car is at a buddy's house so will try again later. I thought we tried to turn the key pretty hard but naybe not. So there is a manual way to open the door? It seems like it's electronic and not getting juice so turning the key does nothing.

Thanks guys. Car is at a buddy's house so will try again later. I thought we tried to turn the key pretty hard but naybe not. So there is a manual way to open the door? It seems like it's electronic and not getting juice so turning the key does nothing.

I think that's why you have to turn it pretty hard...Since there is no power, you have to manually release the lock with the key. I don't know which way to turn, though.

Maybe a search on this and others forums will offer more insight.

I think that's why you have to turn it pretty hard...Since there is no power, you have to manually release the lock with the key. I don't know which way to turn, though.

Maybe a search on this and others forums will offer more insight.

Thanks again. I searched all over and didn't find anything about turning the key hard. I'll give it a shot.

I was able to turn the key 90 degrees in both direction but nothing happens. This is a stupid system if u cannot open the car door manually with the key. WTF!

To reprogram the remote you need to put the key in the ign. hold the unlock button down and turn they key to the on position while holding the unlock button on the remote down.

We had a customer that had this same issue last week. The remote would not work and the outside door lock would not work. I think the lock tumbler in the left side door went bad. We went to customer location and had to more less break into the car. Takes about 1 min two plastic wedges and a coat hanger. Reprogrammed the remote it works but still need to replace left side lock assembly.

To reprogram the remote you need to put the key in the ign. hold the unlock button down and turn they key to the on position while holding the unlock button on the remote down.

We had a customer that had this same issue last week. The remote would not work and the outside door lock would not work. I think the lock tumbler in the left side door went bad. We went to customer location and had to more less break into the car. Takes about 1 min two plastic wedges and a coat hanger. Reprogrammed the remote it works but still need to replace left side lock assembly.

Thanks Jeff. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to get it open and hope they don't break anything.

Well it's turned into a real hassle. Basically, the door locking mechanism has gone bad. You cannot open with either the key fob or manually with the key. There is NO other way to enter the vehicle. Essentially they have to break into the car. They could not put the car on a flat bed to tow to the dealer since it is in gear and it's too risky to load up from the rear.

Dealer has to send someone to try to open from passenger side door. Hopefully they don't break or damage anything in the process. Once the car is open they have to re-program the key and replace door side mechanism. Part will take several days to get from Italy and with the holidays it's turned into probably a 2 week ordeal. Good thing the car is still under warranty. But this is a stupid system if you do not have some sort of mechanical failsafe to get into the car if this switch fails. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

As replied to you on the "other" lambo forum:

Wait! Do not panic!

First, it may just be an electrical glitch, if the key opens an electrical connection, rather than a physical linkage. Unplug the battery, and let sit for an hour. Then plug battery in again. System may reset itself. I have seen this happen on other cars.

Second, it is completely normal for the keyfobs to stop working. They periodically may need to be re-synched with the car, especially after a battery disconnect.

Third: Keyhole should keep working if the opening is via a rod linkage. Are you sure the linkage is just not stiff? Did you spray WD-40 into the keyhole and try to wiggle key?

4th: I have a hard time believing that it is a "door locking mechanism gone bad". What does that even mean? Please explain.

5th: Why would you have to break the glass? Why can you not use a slim-jim to pick the lock (if there is no anti-pick cover on it) or a coathanger to open the door handle?

Last: Ever seen what happens when falling window glass slices through your leather upholstery. It happens, and creates hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of damage. Happened to me on another whip thanks to some punk, so this is something you do NOT want to do.

Last, Last: Breaking the window is an insane thing to ponder! If your dealer is suggesting that, do NOT take your car there. Instead, go and buy a wheel dolly for each wheel, and then winch the car onto the flatbed that way. Cheaper than a G window, without glass slivers which you will never vacuum all up.

You owe me a case of beer for saving your ass!

They are not going to break glass; they are going to use rod through window seam to try and pull the handle.

Cannot get to battery since car is locked.

Key fob does not work, battery in fob has been changed, you can only sync with key in ignition.

Key will turn 90 degrees in both direction but nothing happens. Appears to be a completely electronic system. This is the part that get's me the most. Why not have a mechanical back up system. Key is useless at the point of failure of this electronic lock. Very, very, very stupid design by Lambo.

Thanks for your help though.

Is the battery in the car dead? If that's the case, you can hook a charger up under the rear of the car on the starter solonoid posts. That should give you enough juice to use the key-hole on the door (if in fact it is an electronic actuator).

Good call Turbo50mike.

I would however be surprised if it was an "all electronic" system, as in that case, there would be no backup.

Battery death is a common problem, and that would make it virtually impossible to get into a dead battery car (other via your clever suggestion).

One additional point I forgot to mention to roncfpz. The linkage (if the G has one) or lock tumbler can freeze up in cold weather, making it inopperative.

If your car is in below zero weather, just slide it (as described above) into a warmer area or cover with tarp and heat till thawed.

I'm pretty sure 'Winter Springs' is in Florida, and very far from freezing as its name would suggest.

61 degrees F right now.

Car battery is fine. Lambo dealer tech went out and opened the car using rod through window and rubber seam to pull the door handle. No damage or scratches thank goodness. It took him about 10 minutes. Once car was open he re-activited the key fob which now works with new key fob battery; not sure old one was bad. The mechanism in the door is electronic but there is a plastic piece that allows the key to open it manually. However, if that plactic piece snaps (which it does) key will NOT turn the lock. I'll find out the specific parts tomorrow since they need to order them ASAP. I can at least have the car back for the holidays until the part arrives in 5 days or so.

Car battery is fine. Lambo dealer tech went out and opened the car using rod through window and rubber seam to pull the door handle. No damage or scratches thank goodness. It took him about 10 minutes. Once car was open he re-activited the key fob which now works with new key fob battery; not sure old one was bad. The mechanism in the door is electronic but there is a plastic piece that allows the key to open it manually. However, if that plactic piece snaps (which it does) key will NOT turn the lock. I'll find out the specific parts tomorrow since they need to order them ASAP. I can at least have the car back for the holidays until the part arrives in 5 days or so.

What a shitty design that an 08 model car is easier to jimmy than to open with the key and a plastic part is the only part that is there to help in an emergency.

They are not going to break glass; they are going to use rod through window seam to try and pull the handle.

LOL!

I was just commenting by copying my reply on the other lambo forum about this, since someone mentioned that they might have to go this route. Then they must have quickly changed their reply or deleted it, as I do not see mention of it anymore.

Of course one should never break the glass, just common sense....and there are many alternatives.

Please let us know what the solution was, and what parts were replaced. It does seem outrageous, and totally unacceptable for a 50 cent piece of plastic to completely disable a Gallardo, but hey, it's an exotic, and you know what that means...