Dear Al Gore

ts640

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me that they get like 200 inches up in the mountains. So damn much snow. We have like 9 on the ground here in cincy and thats the most we have had in YEARS. Our city is on defcon 3, cars dont drive about 25 mph and everyone buys the grocery out of bread, milk, and bologna to weather out the storm. Its fcuking pathetic.

We're working on 40 inches--scrach that, the news is saying 50 inches--in 5 days here in Wash, DC. There is literally no place to put the snow anymore.... every road and street has one or two lanes filled with snow. I need an LM002 or H1.

Talked to a tree hugger at work a few weeks ago about Global Warming. He says its Climate Change not Global Warming. So 15 years ago I remember winter was long with lots of snow and cold. About 2-8 years ago it it was pretty mild, and now we are back to long and cold winter. So I guess the Climate changes a lot, I dont know how thats a bad thing.

Talked to a tree hugger at work a few weeks ago about Global Warming. He says its Climate Change not Global Warming. So 15 years ago I remember winter was long with lots of snow and cold. About 2-8 years ago it it was pretty mild, and now we are back to long and cold winter. So I guess the Climate changes a lot, I dont know how thats a bad thing.

That was always my understanding of it to. They will just keep spewing bullshit to meet whatever agenda it is they are on.....but it will never be more then that. Bullshit.

That was always my understanding of it to. They will just keep spewing bullshit to meet whatever agenda it is they are on.....but it will never be more then that. Bullshit.

It's HUGE money right now. Good ol' Al Gore isn't hurting on the financial forefront. It's a big scheme for money at the end of the day.

It's HUGE money right now. Good ol' Al Gore isn't hurting on the financial forefront. It's a big scheme for money at the end of the day.

Like they say at the FBI about other terrorism when you want to figure it out follow the money.

Take a look at this article from Newsweek in 1975 about "climatic change" (one of many articles from that time period warning of the coming Ice Age), which mentions as one solution "melting the arctic ice cap by covering it with black soot."

1975 Newsweek article "The Cooling World"

Now of course we're supposed to be up in arms because the ice caps are melting. The interesting thing to me (aside from how gullible people can be, even many who read articles like the one above in the 70's who have jumped on the AGW bandwagon with nary a second thought) is that I'm not so sure we'd want to try to stop global warming even if it were occurring and we could stop it (two very big "ifs"). There would be many positive effects from it, unlike major cooling, which would indeed be a big problem. And based on Earth's history, the cooling is undoubtedly coming at some point. When that happens many of the "scientists" will say they've been warning us about it all along, and the politicians will come up with new "solutions" that involve them taking more money and control from the population. But we've always been at war with Eastasia, right?

The only thing we KNOW is that things like the ice caps are melting and that is bad. What we DON'T KNOW is why. At this point, who cares about the WHY, we just need to figure out HOW to fix it; regardless of whether its global warming, climate chage, or just all made up.

If the ice caps melt and desalinize our water we're all fucked.

On a side note, MORE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can NEVER have too much!

The only thing we KNOW is that things like the ice caps are melting and that is bad. What we DON'T KNOW is why. At this point, who cares about the WHY, we just need to figure out HOW to fix it; regardless of whether its global warming, climate chage, or just all made up.

If the ice caps melt and desalinize our water we're all fucked.

On a side note, MORE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can NEVER have too much!

We know a lot more than that Wiggs, for starters that Co2 is a heat trapping gas, that we are adding more into the atmosphere than the atmosphere can naturally process/eliminate, that the Co2 level prior to the industrial revolution was 250 ppm and is now closing in on 400 ppm, a 15 million year high. We also know sea levels and temps are rising, coral reefs are dying, the Amazon rain forest is shrinking(the biggest natural Co2 trap of all). This in addition to the fact that there is a LOT less ice on the planet (hence the rising sea levels, duh!), and more is melting every year.

No doubt the politics of climate change involves a lot of bullshit(cap and trade in particular), and god help us if the eco-fanatical crowd is put in charge of this issue, but the above is beyond dispute.

We know a lot more than that Wiggs, for starters that Co2 is a heat trapping gas, that we are adding more into the atmosphere than the atmosphere can naturally process/eliminate, that the Co2 level prior to the industrial revolution was 250 ppm and is now closing in on 400 ppm, a 15 million year high. We also know sea levels and temps are rising, coral reefs are dying, the Amazon rain forest is shrinking(the biggest natural Co2 trap of all). This in addition to the fact that there is a LOT less ice on the planet (hence the rising sea levels, duh!), and more is melting every year.

No doubt the politics of climate change involves a lot of bullshit(cap and trade in particular), and god help us if the eco-fanatical crowd is put in charge of this issue, but the above is beyond dispute.

So what? The CO2 level increased from .0025% to .004% of the atmosphere, and we are supposed to get excited? While there is indisputable evidence that the CO2 level has increased, there is NO evidence this has any direct affect on climate. It is ALL speculation. Climate Change is a catch-all phrase for "we don't know what the fukc is going on, but trust us, it's bad".

Very true. I change my oversimplification! :)

So what? The CO2 level increased from .0025% to .004% of the atmosphere, and we are supposed to get excited? While there is indisputable evidence that the CO2 level has increased, there is NO evidence this has any direct affect on climate. It is ALL speculation. Climate Change is a catch-all phrase for "we don't know what the fukc is going on, but trust us, it's bad".

Hell Yea you should be excited (or worried). That's a 60% change! Change our planet's temperature by that much and we would have been dead a long time ago. Just because the numbers are small, doesn't mean that it's not important. 60% is HUGE.

There is also a LOT of evidence that CO2 levels have direct evidence on climate change; however, it is inductive evidence not deductive. All science is speculation and inductive reasoning. It's simply an inference to the best explanation. An absence of entailment doesn't make it untrue; simply unproven. Gravity isn't proven either, but I think it's reasonable to assume it's a good theory. Same goes for evolution. To deny any causation or correlation is a little foolish.

Please. To address just one alleged fact, do you really think we "know" how much CO2 was in the atmosphere 15 million years ago because some chick and her pals at UCLA studied the ratio of boron to calcium in the shells of ancient single-celled marine algae and then published a paper on it? And even if you assume everything in the paper is true, it provokes more questions than it answers. Why was the CO2 level higher 15 million years ago (with no humans emitting CO2) than today? Why was the planet a "huge amount" warmer back then compared to today (according to the paper) with CO2 levels similar to today's? Do higher levels of CO2 cause higher temperatures, or is it the other way around (or is it neither)? Women wear short skirts on sunny days but women wearing short skirts doesn't cause the sun to come out. I'm all for science, but science in this particular field has been horribly corrupted by the political process, and even at its best (that is, carried out in good faith), science involves asserting hypotheses which are then tested, and which are frequently found to be erroneous and revised. Even under the best of circumstances, this process would be very difficult in the context of AGW because it involves predicting the distant future based on understanding things from the very distant past. How do you test the AGW hypothesis accurately, except over the passage of time (a LOT of time)? But alarmism is usually more about politics than science--remember the over-population crowd and how millions of us were going to starve by 2 or 3 decades ago due to over-population?

None of the above is a reason not to take sensible environmental measures to keep things as clean and green as we reasonably can, but it makes no sense to severely restrict our economy over a government funded hypothesis that is far from being proven. Your last point is a good one, but the eco-fanatic crowd is already in charge of the issue--they have their President and other like-minded officials in place (Energy Secretary, EPA head, etc.). Fortunately I think the current administration has already shot its wad on health care, so tackling cap and trade anytime soon looks unilikely.

...the eco-fanatic crowd is already in charge of the issue--they have their President and other like-minded officials in place (Energy Secretary, EPA head, etc.). Fortunately I think the current administration has already shot its wad on health care, so tackling cap and trade anytime soon looks unilikely.

Did you RIGHT that? Or did Hannity? :lol2:

The eco-crowd definitely DOESN'T have their president, nor does this President (like every other before him) really care about getting things done. No government does.

The eco-crowd is too worried about things (like nuclear power) and can't give sustainable alternatives because of it.

Simple solution to ALL of our energy issues. Nuclear (Nucular if your on the right :lol2:) extraction of Hydrogen from Water with Hydrogen substituting for gasoline and diesel.

Problem solved. Use existing oil companies and their infrastructure to produce, ship, and distribute the hydrogen. Change the car's intake system to handle the proper air/fuel ratio, and develop a standardized fuel cell to carry it in.

Anything less is just hot air.

We have to go with what science tells us because it's our BEST guess. If we had anything better, THAT would be our science. Of course we can be wrong; but guessing blindly is worse than guessing with SOME hope of truth.

None of the above is a reason not to take sensible environmental measures to keep things as clean and green as we reasonably can, but it makes no sense to severely restrict our economy over a government funded hypothesis that is far from being proven. Your last point is a good one, but the eco-fanatic crowd is already in charge of the issue--they have their President and other like-minded officials in place (Energy Secretary, EPA head, etc.). Fortunately I think the current administration has already shot its wad on health care, so tackling cap and trade anytime soon looks unilikely.

Did you RIGHT that? Or did Hannity? :lol2:

The eco-crowd definitely DOESN'T have their president, nor does this President (like every other before him) really care about getting things done. No government does.

The eco-crowd is too worried about things (like nuclear power) and can't give sustainable alternatives because of it.

Simple solution to ALL of our energy issues. Nuclear (Nucular if your on the right :lol2:) extraction of Hydrogen from Water with Hydrogen substituting for gasoline and diesel.

Problem solved. Use existing oil companies and their infrastructure to produce, ship, and distribute the hydrogen. Change the car's intake system to handle the proper air/fuel ratio, and develop a standardized fuel cell to carry it in.

Anything less is just hot air.

We have to go with what science tells us because it's our BEST guess. If we had anything better, THAT would be our science. Of course we can be wrong; but guessing blindly is worse than guessing with SOME hope of truth.

Neither side (Left nor Right) should be throwing stones on L/P. Just a warning.