Owner's opinions on the Balboni?

webster132

I'm curious to learn if we have any Balboni owners on the forum and what they think about the car after living with it for a while. Particularly interested in comparos to the rest of the Gallardo line up.

I absolutely love how that car looks. Know plenty don't like the stripe, but I love it.

On a related note, does anyone know of a blue balboni for sale in the US?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting that we've had such a lack of Balboni threads and write-ups the past few months, particularly since we had many owners on record demanding "RWD 6-SPEED! RWD 6-SPEED!" prior to the 550-2's arrival.

I would have thought we'd see more people buying the car, frankly we had more 2006 G-SE owners (with nearly identical production #s to the 550-2) back when it arrived a few years ago. :eusa_think:

I love everything about the Balboni - The stripe inside and out, RWD, gated 6-speed, and the new 550/560 styling.

Would love to hear some driving impressions, especially how being RWD changes it.

It is interesting that we've had such a lack of Balboni threads and write-ups the past few months, particularly since we had many owners on record demanding "RWD 6-SPEED! RWD 6-SPEED!" prior to the 550-2's arrival.

I would have thought we'd see more people buying the car, frankly we had more 2006 G-SE owners (with nearly identical production #s to the 550-2) back when it arrived a few years ago. :eusa_think:

What is interesting is how few are coming over with the six speed.

Although word on the street is there will be Balboni production through 2011, so I assume they are making them in small batches?

I wonder if there are more 550-2's in the country than SVs now?

What I'm sorta sad to see is that the bulk of the cars currently on dealer lots are either black or white. IMO, that's the two least interesting colors for that car. I much prefer the orange, yellow, grey, green, and blue.

No blue ones other than the one that Balboni was taking around with him when he did the launch. I have one of the black ones, was going to trade it for a yellow one. I like the yellow a bit better except the stripe somewhat blends in a bit. Car gets more attention than any other car in the showroom though.

They are selling really badly. Not even 100 of the 250 were sold.

To be fair everything is selling poorly. Remember SuperG's were not exactly flying out of the showroom either.

Are there really no VI 550-2's? :eusa_wall:

Only speaking for myself - too many versions of the same M and same G we've seen since 02 and 04. Boring. Coupled with mindboggling depreciation I don't think too many people are rushing to drive anything new off the lot and take a $100,000+ kick in the ass.

You're probably very right. BUT -- at least if the economy were not in the shitter right now -- I would have thought that a rare 2WD version of a Lambo, something that hasn't been offered since the freaking 90's, would have found enough enthusiasts worldwide to sell out the 250. But the economy might be the answer.

But you're right about too many versions of the same thing. Truthfully, they should've made the original SuperG 2WD, and the new LP560 Super G should also be 2WD, and that should've been understood that that's a crucial part of what a SuperG is. No need for an "extra" model (the Balboni) to be put out in order to offer something in 2WD. That wasn't necessary. (Nice to honor Valentino, but they could've tacked his name onto the SuperG or something.)

Only speaking for myself - too many versions of the same M and same G we've seen since 02 and 04. Boring. Coupled with mindboggling depreciation I don't think too many people are rushing to drive anything new off the lot and take a $100,000+ kick in the ass.

To be fair everything is selling poorly. Remember SuperG's were not exactly flying out of the showroom either.

Are there really no VI 550-2's? :eusa_wall:

4309921802_9f0d71ecbe_o.jpg

You're probably very right. BUT -- at least if the economy were not in the shitter right now -- I would have thought that a rare 2WD version of a Lambo, something that hasn't been offered since the freaking 90's, would have found enough enthusiasts worldwide to sell out the 250. But the economy might be the answer.

But you're right about too many versions of the same thing. Truthfully, they should've made the original SuperG 2WD, and the new LP560 Super G should also be 2WD, and that should've been understood that that's a crucial part of what a SuperG is. No need for an "extra" model (the Balboni) to be put out in order to offer something in 2WD. That wasn't necessary. (Nice to honor Valentino, but they could've tacked his name onto the SuperG or something.)

The economy is a small part of the equation. Again only speaking for myself but I'm not at the bottom of the market looking at 04 Gs with 50,000 miles on them. One needs significant pocket to cut a check for say $300,000 for a new fully optioned G tax in and there are plenty of guys on this forum with far more financial horsepower than me that could do exactly that but aren't.

So real money is still there but we're all sitting on the sidelines waiting for something compelling to drop. I personally don't care whether it's 2WD, 4WD, AWD or no wheel drive. I just want to see something new and breathtaking and vulgar that will make women cream and children scream and frankly a Gallardo we've seen since 04 now with an ugly stripe certainly isn't it.

Fair enough. I do see your point, and I think I agree. :icon_thumleft:

The economy is a small part of the equation. Again only speaking for myself but I'm not at the bottom of the market looking at 04 Gs with 50,000 miles on them. One needs significant pocket to cut a check for say $300,000 for a new fully optioned G tax in and there are plenty of guys on this forum with far more financial horsepower than me that could do exactly that but aren't.

So real money is still there but we're all sitting on the sidelines waiting for something compelling to drop. I personally don't care whether it's 2WD, 4WD, AWD or no wheel drive. I just want to see something new and breathtaking and vulgar that will make women cream and children scream and frankly a Gallardo we've seen since 04 now with an ugly stripe certainly isn't it.

If you're only interested in brand new designs, then why complain about the iterations? It's not like Lamborghini could have chosen to introduce a full-on Gallardo successor instead of doing the Nera, the Superleggera, or the Balboni. Lambo seems to be on 10 year cycles for their main platforms. So it's not like it's a big surprise. Or that it's something new. The Diablo sure had its share of revisions and minor updates throughout the life cycle.

I think it's awesome that Lamborghini is making all these revisions to keep the line fresh during the decade. Compare that to what Ferrari is doing. They've let the F430 sit with no changes from 2004 through 2009. Yaaawn. Same with the 360.

I much prefer the variation, creativity, and life of an evolving line.

If you're only interested in brand new designs, then why complain about the iterations? It's not like Lamborghini could have chosen to introduce a full-on Gallardo successor instead of doing the Nera, the Superleggera, or the Balboni. Lambo seems to be on 10 year cycles for their main platforms. So it's not like it's a big surprise. Or that it's something new. The Diablo sure had its share of revisions and minor updates throughout the life cycle.

I think it's awesome that Lamborghini is making all these revisions to keep the line fresh during the decade. Compare that to what Ferrari is doing. They've let the F430 sit with no changes from 2004 through 2009. Yaaawn. Same with the 360.

I much prefer the variation, creativity, and life of an evolving line.

I'm not complaining about iterations. Regarding Balbonis not selling my opinion is that it's because (1) the economy is soft, (2) we are at the end of a product line and are tired of seeing the same car, and (3) the depreciation on new Lamborghinis is incredible.

That said if the car excites you and you can pull the trigger go for it. Life is very short and one should always pursue things that bring happiness.

Wrong timing for the Balboni, just before the new SL that will be out in March, people that would go after the Balboni are the SL buyers in my opinion, they want the hardcore version, the Balboni is not hardcore enough!

RWD so what? less HP with a questionable stripe, more $ than a LP560-4? I wonder where are all the "enthusiasts" that always moan RWD + 6 Speed, E-Gear = girlymen/pussies, there you go there is a car that real men can buy and it sits on the show room floors, Lamborghini listened but it is not working out, you can blame it on timing, economy or lack of real men that have $ to buy Lambos!

I think the car with his name on it should've been a hardcore SL.

If I was to describe my ideal Lambo I wouldn't even want AC, no stereo, no front lift no useless gadgets, no electric seats with massage and heating function :eusa_wall: just a raw stripped out hardcore version!

Fortis has it right as usual :icon_thumleft:

The irony of the Balboni is that Balboni himself has always said he prefers Lamborghinis with 12 cylinders and vertical doors.

"....They've (Ferrari) let the F430 sit with no changes from 2004 through 2009. Yaaawn. Same with the 360......"

Possibly, their way is better (??); you don't see a price plunge from MSRP, as you do with Lamborghinis.

"...Wrong timing for the Balboni, just before the new SL that will be out in March, people that would go after the Balboni are the SL buyers in my opinion, they want the hardcore version, the Balboni is not hardcore enough!..."

Let's see, six months from now, if the 2010 SL meets the same fate as the 2008 iteration.

I think they are chasing a market (hardcore) that is presently, at best, minuscule. With a product that is not truly hardcore.

:)

In my days of tuning Porsche's it was fairly common to see 996tt's disconnecting or removing the FWD on their car. I wonder if this is possible on our G's? I was very close to doing this to my 996tt, because I really didnt like how the car behaved with the AWD system. G's arent technically awd and dont handle like an AWD. I did always prefer RWD sports cars, but to me the non-Balboni versions arent coming up short in driving experience/road feedback. I dont think this car really needs RWD to enjoy it, but it may make it even more enjoyable...who knows?

I am with you...would love to hear some comparison of the two. I would never own a Balboni version if it had the stripe. I think it looks bad, actually, horrible. the stripe reminds me of something to go on a dodge..

This reminds me of the outcry from BMW guys about the lack of a stickshift in the M5. BMW came through, then nobody bought it.