ODBII Scanner for Gallardo?

ContinentalGT

Can anyone advise? I know for the Lamborghini you need a reader that also works with CAN, because that is how the Lamborghini communicates with the programming tool.

Any suggestions?

I found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUPER-UNIVE...ht_11128wt_1167

It works with VAG & OBDII (CAN) and can do the CEL resets, etc. I like it because I have a Bentley as well, so the VAG hookup would be useful. Any input would be appreciated!

sorry for my question,maybe it's stupid,i know that the ODB is a scanner used to see any car malfuncion,but how does it work exactly? do you have to connect it to your PC and check how the car work?

sorry for my question,maybe it's stupid,i know that the ODB is a scanner used to see any car malfuncion,but how does it work exactly? do you have to connect it to your PC and check how the car work?

You plug the code reader in to a port under your steering column. You then scan the car through the reader and it tells you if there are any error codes. It will then tell you what those codes mean (aka: what the problem is). Most readers will also give you the ability to shut the code off so that it is no longer illuminated on your dashboard.

You plug the code reader in to a port under your steering column. You then scan the car through the reader and it tells you if there are any error codes. It will then tell you what those codes mean (aka: what the problem is). Most readers will also give you the ability to shut the code off so that it is no longer illuminated on your dashboard.

ah very iteresting,thanks.

but if you ask to your lambo dealer,can't someone give you the code you're looking for?

I just pulled the trigger on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...8#ht_1966wt_821

I will let you all know how it goes!

I purchased a VAG-COM from RossTech. I went with the HEX+CAN version

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/interfaces.html

I had to have a guy make up an adapter for it to work on my Gallardo (I had him do a run of 10 and sold them on here and some of Lambo forums). I may still have a spare adapter sitting around if anyone wants to buy one for their VAG-COM.

• 2 months later...

Hey, I saw this and finally I can contribute. I don't have a G (yet), but I also have one of the Actron CP9180 scanners. I bought it for my P-car, and it has CAN so it will work with any of the latest OBDII cars. When I last upgraded to this from my previous one, basically I found these levels of scanners:

* $30-ish These cheap ass scanners will read codes and clear them but that's about it. That may be all you need. You'll have to research the codes (which you may have to do anyway for obscure manufacturer-specific codes).

* $75-ish These start to get interactive/menu-like and will give readouts of multiple/pending CEL codes and give you details on emissions "readiness" which means all the various smog components have passed their respective drive cycle/condition tests. My previous one was an Equus 3030 which I liked a lot, but it won't do CAN bus.

* $150-ish Like this Actron CP9180 and the Equus 3150, these have full menus and will add some nice features such as the ability to read freeze-frame data about what was going on when the CEL was triggered. They also will give you real-time monitoring of various sensors. In many cases, the readings are meaningless unless you know what they should be, but you can compare left/right banks and/or to your buddy's car or online. These also give English meanings of common powertrain codes.

* $350-ish The price on these starts going exponential. The main difference is these start being able to read more manufacturer-specific systems and can be laptop-based. For example, in the Porsche world, Durametric software runs on a laptop and can query other systems such as airbag controllers and HVAC. VAG-COM is similar for Audis.

* $2K - $20K These are the factory diagnostic/configuration tools which are generally not available to ordinary owners and with expensive subscription/licensing requirements.

For me, I went with the Actron CP9180. The Equus 3150 is probably a little easier to use, and it also sets up an OBDII connection faster. The emission readiness stuff is also easier. The reason I went for the Actron, though, is more lines in the display for less scrolling and more real-time data being displayed. I'm tempted by the laptop-based ones, but I like that you can just grab a hand-held one and be done before a laptop even boots up.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Where would I find the codes and what they mean? I did a search and couldnt find it. I'm going to pick up a reader next week after the car gets delivered.

• 6 years later...

Colorinc:

Your link is not working so which actron model did you pirchase for your Gallardo? Also what year is your G? I heard the aftermarlet OBD scanners can make the G emgine go into limp mode do you ever have any problems using your Actron scanner on your G?