Suggestions for sub $4k watch to start the collection

cartekf

How about looking into Ulysse Nardin? They are great watches in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

I would suggest a Rolex as well.

I currentley have a Explorer II stainless steel with black face, also comes with a white face but I think the black looks much much better.

When the person I got this watch from bought it he paid $7800 plus taxes for it and that was over 10 years ago. The watch is still in their line-up and last I checked they're were selling for $6800 plus taxes, keep in mind that's brand new so i'm sure you could get one in your price range.

Here's my exact watch: http://www.lbimage.com/images/watches/role...perpetual/2.jpg

And here it is with the white face: http://www.aandewatches.com/RMEX203-face.jpg

Someone owes me money so I think i'm also going to be getting a new watch! Either the all-gold Breitling Emergency or cash and his titanium Breitling Emergency. Most likely the cash and the titanium as i'm not a gold watch kind of guy, but if I have to take it then i'll certainly wear it for a while!

Let us know what you get.

Cheers

James Simpson

i would skip on buying a pos 4k watch, you dont NEED a watch.

in this day in age ive noticed you wear a watch (a nice watch) when you have the $$$, nobody buys a 100k+ watch because it tells time better than a $100 watch but its the concept of the fact its $100k+.

i personally dont wear a watch, yet. i dont need one, i have a phone that tells time. i will buy a nice watch ( the term "nice" is subjective) when i have the extra money to do so

in the meantime i focus my time and energy on making it happen, instead of budgeting my finances to decide between a 4k or 5k watch

Personally, I'd stay away from the Tags, Hamilton’s, Movado’s, lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu's, etc. They produce too many watches yearly to be considered a collectors item. For everyday use their perfect but not if your starting a collection.

IMO if you want to start a collection, your choices should exhibit that decision. For $4k I'd look into Panerai, IWC, Girrard Perregaux, Choppard, Ulysse Nardin, etc. Another thing to keep in mind is your watch rotation. You may not want to spend $4k on your first watch. My current rotation includes a Luminox (everyday watch), Oris (occasional use) and Choppard (minimal use). My next watch will be a Panerai Luminor which will run $5K to $7K depending on the model. My collection is small compared to many others, but you have to start somewhere.

Lastly, make sure you study the movements, complications and history of the watch company. These attributes defiantly have an impact on the resale value. Scoring limited production run models are also a plus.

The watch market is soft at the moment so it's a good time to purchase. I wish you the best luck in starting your collection!

Oh, don't forget you'll need a watch winder. Two of my watches are in a Wolf designs watch winder. These watches need to be manual wound and the movement off your wrist is what keeps them going. Expect to spend between $700 to $1200 dollars for a decent watch winder. It’s a requirement to maintain the time keeping accuracy of the watch.

• 1 month later...

thanks for all the input. i'm still looking as of right now. i like the submariner 50th annv., explorer II and the pam 112. any of which i think i could pick up used and within my range. keep the tips coming as i still have a lot of looking to do.

i should probably add that i like a larger, heavier watch, but not necessarily larger than 42mm or so diameter. something about the lightness of a tag bothers me.

My vote is a stainless Sub. Its the standard, you can never go wrong. I bought one in 1992, my first watch. Still have it, still looks current and works perfect.

My vote is a stainless Sub. Its the standard, you can never go wrong. I bought one in 1992, my first watch. Still have it, still looks current and works perfect.

i think that is the most realistic choice for me. any advice on where i might find a nice used one that hasn't been mentioned yet?

i think that is the most realistic choice for me. any advice on where i might find a nice used one that hasn't been mentioned yet?

Call Dallas Gold and Silver they always have a ton. Give them a hard time on the price!!

http://www.dgse.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i've decided not to compromise and get what i really want, the royal oak 15300. i came to the conclusion that i am not a huge rolex fan, especially the sub. couple things i don't like about it are the big ceramic bezel, flimsy bracelet (maybe not but looks and feels it), and the sheer popularity/large production number. i will probably wait 6 months to a year for the RO, but there seems to be a lot of very nice, slightly used examples out there going for $6500-$8000. i know this board is big on ROOs and APs in general so i doubt many will advise against my decision!

and yes, i realize i've nearly doubled my budget, but in all honesty at this point i'd rather wear the $200 swiss quartz i have on right now than compromise.

i've decided not to compromise and get what i really want, the royal oak 15300. i came to the conclusion that i am not a huge rolex fan, especially the sub. couple things i don't like about it are the big ceramic bezel, flimsy bracelet (maybe not but looks and feels it), and the sheer popularity/large production number. i will probably wait 6 months to a year for the RO, but there seems to be a lot of very nice, slightly used examples out there going for $6500-$8000. i know this board is big on ROOs and APs in general so i doubt many will advise against my decision!

and yes, i realize i've nearly doubled my budget, but in all honesty at this point i'd rather wear the $200 swiss quartz i have on right now than compromise.

Good call...the 15300 is a great looking watch...I have an AP ROO and love it, although I do admit sometimes my Sub works best with what I am wearing that day.

Also remember, Do NOT go with anything that is NOT a precious metal watch. Stainless steel looks cool but isn't worth jack when you go to sell it IF you ever sell it in the future. To retain the greatest value longer term on a watch make sure it is either a Gold (White Gold if you want the stainless look), Platinum, or Silver. As the price of the metals rises, so does the value of your watch.

Also remember, Do NOT go with anything that is NOT a precious metal watch. Stainless steel looks cool but isn't worth jack when you go to sell it IF you ever sell it in the future. To retain the greatest value longer term on a watch make sure it is either a Gold (White Gold if you want the stainless look), Platinum, or Silver. As the price of the metals rises, so does the value of your watch.

From what I can tell Stainless/Black Subs retain a really good resale value. Some of the older ones still sell for $2500-3500. Thats about what they cost when they were new 15 years ago.

From what I can tell Stainless/Black Subs retain a really good resale value. Some of the older ones still sell for $2500-3500. Thats about what they cost when they were new 15 years ago.

What Swil really means is better ROI if you end up selling it as scrap :icon_mrgreen: