Expensive watch question (~15K) and opinions.

DickSimmons

I saw this watch in a magazine and, well, I want it. However, I never really thought spending such money on a watch it worth it. Say I buy it, what kind of resale do you think it would have should I decide one day that I don't like it?

This is the watch I'm thinking about:

http://www.bacario.com/Details.asp?Product...;DepartmentID=1

Is something like this worth it? Is it a quality watch?

Well, I saw a video and it is a lot thicker than it looks in the picture, so perhaps I'll pass. I prefer them as thin as possible. Guess I'm stuck with quartz.

I did see some sweet Romain Jerome ones, but those are far too expensive.

It's hard to find unique watches these days.

Stay away Brian unless you really are in love with it and don't care about the likely -60 to 75% depreciatation hit you'll take on it the first 18 months.

An AP ROO is really is the way to go in that price segment, if you buy right you won't lose more than 10-25% once you tire of it or want to move up.

I am with Mako and the rest, go for the AP. You will not regret that decision. Good luck with it.

For ~ $15k I would be looking at an AP ROO...resale would be great also...

I agree, APs are bad ass watches.

My problem with watches like AP are that they, imo, look just like any fancy watch. I'm more into uniqueness than image. For example, a lot of watches look like the Big Bang and vice versa. The most expensive Rolex looks like one of the cheapest.

How does Romain Jerome hold it's value?

I like this one:

RJ-Silver_Mood.jpg

I'm sure all the best ones are way too expensive and impossible to get...

http://www.romainjerome.ch/main/objet-d-art/index.lbl

RJ-Crisis_Tourbillon.jpg

You will take a huge haircut on both the Corum & the RJ. Corum's "golden bridge", if I remember correctly, was by Vincent Calabrese who now has his own brand (using his own name). Timeless and great design but not good on resale value. RJ, quite frankly, is a waste of money.

If you want some unique looking watches. Try Urwerk (you still won't recuperate on the resale though) or the AP's new Starwheel. Both look complicated at first but, especially the Starwheel, is ingeniously simple. Probably better off with the Starwheel on resale in the long run.

ur202_custom.jpg

apannswrgssdialup003.jpg

Eh, I give up. Every time I find a watch I like, it ends up costing $50K-500K. No wonder it seems everyone's watches look the same... no one can afford the cool ones.

Guess I'll just wait 5 years and look for used ones that are dirt cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool watch around 15k that will hold its value. AP ROO,IWC BIG PILOT,Rolex daytona SS white face although the Rolex is more like 10k and that's about it. Evrything else you will take a bath on resale.

Can you say that again BMWRACER? :icon_mrgreen:

I guess you just experienced the same problem I had with LP 20 minutes ago, it froze on me and didn't confirm my PM I kept on pushing send and Tommy ended up with 5 or 6 PM's from me, I thought that it was my computer.

• 1 month later...
I saw this watch in a magazine and, well, I want it. However, I never really thought spending such money on a watch it worth it. Say I buy it, what kind of resale do you think it would have should I decide one day that I don't like it?

This is the watch I'm thinking about:

Is something like this worth it? Is it a quality watch?

STAY AWAY. DEFINITE big time loser.

The idea of an expensive watch has long since left my mind. I'll stick in the couple grand range. Can't tell the difference between them anyway lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Golden Bridge says Unisex but it looks like a watch for a lady. I just cant see that on a guy.