What kept these from depreciating?

DickSimmons

I've always wanted one, and looking at prices today, I see they are actually higher than they originally sold for.

Are they really trading hands above MSRP still?

Is reliability still a big issue? I remember hearing tons of problems with them when they first came out.

It was my understanding that they resolved the issue the first year. As for how they stayed above MSRP is beyond me. Some guy here in cincy just totaled his last night on the highway. One less!

I really want Peak's black one (before matte.) That car was perfect, though I could do without the CF. All black exterior, white letters, no stripes... sick. Best looking FGT.

Peak, did you just have it repainted, or did you order it like that?

Low production #'s. Great performance, a true amreican supercar. Yeah, they will hold their value just fine.

There aren't that many, they won't be building any more, there is no follow-up car to devalue it, tons of guys that own one own multiple. The pool is relatively small and declining. I don't know anyone that owns 3 F430's. I know plenty of guys that own 2,3,4 or more Ford GTs. Prices on very low mile cars are still over MSRP. You can find cars with miles all day waaay below MSRP. A Red car with 6,000 miles is worth $130k US retail tops. I just bought a blue GT well under MSRP with 3100 miles. Great relative to the rest of the exotic car market, but it's not like they command super high prices because they aren't total unicorns. They do remain very expensive in foreign markets.

Clarkston stirred the pot big time by whining about his car but all his problems were caused by an aftermarket alarm mandated by UK insurance. My white turbo GT has 20,000 hard ass miles on it, and I know several guys that have well over double that mileage. It's a very robust car.

If I could have sat in one without my head hitting the headliner, I would have bought one, and its value would have been much more than my Gallardo has held, but its a lot of money for something that is uncomfortable for me to drive and park and look at, I like to drive my cars, not garage queens...

An American supercar done right. Great looks, great performance, great interior, blue oval history, coupled with the fact that there are more people who want them badly than there are cars and it was priced properly.

Plus for the person who only buys American cars, this is their Veryon.

Most seem to have went in for one, and came home with two, or three, or four....

I really want Peak's black one (before matte.) That car was perfect, though I could do without the CF. All black exterior, white letters, no stripes... sick. Best looking FGT.

Peak, did you just have it repainted, or did you order it like that?

Those are two different cars. He has recently sold the one that you like so much.

They actually built quite a few

They definitely aren't that rare, but a huge number have been totaled. I follow that quite closely and I'd estimate that at least 500 have been completely destroyed, and there's probably another 500 that have been involved in wrecks to one degree or another. I mean, I've heard about two new total losses this week. With no traction control or other driver aids and a mid engine that makes a bunch of power, they show up mangled frequently. When a quarter of the total are no longer no-story cars, the pool has shrunk considerably.

There aren't that many, they won't be building any more, there is no follow-up car to devalue it, tons of guys that own one own multiple. The pool is relatively small and declining. I don't know anyone that owns 3 F430's. I know plenty of guys that own 2,3,4 or more Ford GTs. Prices on very low mile cars are still over MSRP. You can find cars with miles all day waaay below MSRP. A Red car with 6,000 miles is worth $130k US retail tops. I just bought a blue GT well under MSRP with 3100 miles. Great relative to the rest of the exotic car market, but it's not like they command super high prices because they aren't total unicorns. They do remain very expensive in foreign markets.

Clarkston stirred the pot big time by whining about his car but all his problems were caused by an aftermarket alarm mandated by UK insurance. My white turbo GT has 20,000 hard ass miles on it, and I know several guys that have well over double that mileage. It's a very robust car.

I mention it because my uncle designed the electrical on the GT and my friend's father worked in finance. Uncle told me it was underdeveloped due to needing to get to market in time with the CGT and Enzo. Friends dad told me about all the costs incurred due to problems/warranty stuff. I also think Rob's (Veyron) friend had one and said it was always off the road.

I'm certain it had problems, but I'm curious if they all got fixed and worked out.

Those are two different cars. He has recently sold the one that you like so much.

Damn. I don't think I'd ever have sold that car. I would have bought it though.

A quick search didn't turn up many black ones, and I'd be hesitant about getting it painted to remove the stripes.

I mention it because my uncle designed the electrical on the GT and my friend's father worked in finance. Uncle told me it was underdeveloped due to needing to get to market in time with the CGT and Enzo. Friends dad told me about all the costs incurred due to problems/warranty stuff. I also think Rob's (Veyron) friend had one and said it was always off the road.

What's your Uncle's name? My two best friends are the program manager for the car and the chief designer, so I'm sure they'd know who was responsible for designing the electrical. I'd be curious to what their thoughts were on that. Not for nothing, but considering I've bought three and dragged hundreds of them around to shows and race events, as a person that actually has first hand experience with a huge percentage of the total, the GT is popular partly for it's reputation as being bulletproof.

What's your Uncle's name? My two best friends are the program manager for the car and the chief designer, so I'm sure they'd know who was responsible for designing the electrical. I'd be curious to what their thoughts were on that. Not for nothing, but considering I've bought three and dragged hundreds of them around to shows and race events, as a person that actually has first hand experience with a huge percentage of the total, the GT is popular partly for it's reputation as being bulletproof.

I'll avoid using his name as not to put words in his mouth that weren't precise, but he was at Lear at the time, I believe. I do remember him telling me of recalls due to safety. I couldn't tell you precisely what though.

I didnt think the stripes were painted on. I thought you could just remove them like decals. Im probably wrong so someone please correct me if I am.

I'll avoid using his name as not to put words in his mouth that weren't precise, but he was at Lear at the time, I believe. I do remember him telling me of recalls due to safety. I couldn't tell you precisely what though.

They had a recall over the control arm process when there were less than 150 cars in public hands. There was never a single failure of a control arm in the real world outside of a tech at a dealership jacking the car up under one. That was the safety recall. The GT actually had the highest crush weight of any car ever tested at the time.

I didnt think the stripes were painted on. I thought you could just remove them like decals. Im probably wrong so someone please correct me if I am.

Top stripes are paint, side stripes are vinyl.

I like them but wouldn't buy one over $120k for sure. Too many Italian exotics selling around that price range. To me, a Ferrari or Lamborghini is still better than a Ford. 430 and late model Gallardo are better than FGT in every way, maybe except resale value!

It's always amazing how time marches on, when the F-GT arrived it was so fast compared to cars of the time (particularly the Murcie and Gallardo, either of which it would have no problem with whatsoever).

These days an LP640 or LP560 would demolish it to any speed (albeit at a much higher price point of course).

One of the all time greats, glad Ford had the balls to pull the trigger on it. :icon_thumleft:

Iconic car arguably the best car ever build in US, definitely the most successful "resurrection" of an older model, lower production numbers, the lack of depreciation reflects it.

I love it and I wouldn't mind one, but if we bring it here we will have to butcher it and do a steering wheel conversion, welcome to OZ :eusa_wall:

Peak's black one was my favorite!

These days an LP640 or LP560 would demolish it to any speed (albeit at a much higher price point of course).

BULLSHIT. I proved that to be untrue SEVERAL TIMES.

I like them but wouldn't buy one over $120k for sure. Too many Italian exotics selling around that price range. To me, a Ferrari or Lamborghini is still better than a Ford. 430 and late model Gallardo are better than FGT in every way, maybe except resale value!

Except the GT is 10000000000000 times better than an F430 and G.

BULLSHIT. I proved that to be untrue SEVERAL TIMES.

The last LP560 tested hit 150mph in a little over 15 seconds. Several Ford GTs that have been tested did the same in 18. Go count from zero to three and try to guess how many bus lengths that is at that speed. :icon_thumleft:

The last LP560 tested hit 150mph in a little over 15 seconds. Several Ford GTs that have been tested did the same in 18. Go count from zero to three and try to guess how many bus lengths that is at that speed. :icon_thumleft:

Come out the real world with real cars and tell me which one is faster.