I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

I just want a damn handgun lol

Get a sig.

And if you are planning on carrying it, get two sizes smaller than you think you want.... You'll hear a lot of keyboard commandos and gun shop experts tell you you have to get a full size gun, in full size caliber, or you're a pussy or some such shit... Having carried a full sized gun, I can tell you, theyre full of shit... Theres no way to do it comfortably... So you wont do it.

I carry a small 32 caliber kel-tec or a smaller 22. mag revolver... Both are hosterless, and I never know I have it on me... But one (or both) is always on me. I only pull out the bigger stuff if I'm going somewhere I can't avoid, where I'm actually expecting trouble... (Like when I picked up that truck the other day... I had my .22 in my pants, a 9 in a shoulder rig, and my wife had my .32 in her purse and an mp5 under the seat of the car....)

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a sig.

And if you are planning on carrying it, get two sizes smaller than you think you want.... You'll hear a lot of keyboard commandos and gun shop experts tell you you have to get a full size gun, in full size caliber, or you're a pussy or some such shit... Having carried a full sized gun, I can tell you, theyre full of shit... Theres no way to do it comfortably... So you wont do it.

I carry a small 32 caliber kel-tec or a smaller 22. mag revolver... Both are hosterless, and I never know I have it on me... But one (or both) is always on me. I only pull out the bigger stuff if I'm going somewhere I can't avoid, where I'm actually expecting trouble... (Like when I picked up that truck the other day... I had my .22 in my pants, a 9 in a shoulder rig, and my wife had my .32 in her purse and an mp5 under the seat of the car....)

Its funny, my buddy (from NJ) bought a truck off of craigslist in PA recently, met the seller after hours in a mall parking lot. After closing the deal and BS'ing with the seller while signing the title, found out the guy was carrying. He told my friend, "Hey, lot of weirdo's out there. Can't be too careful. Glad I didnt have to use it on you!" :) LOL

Makes me wish we could in NJ!

My only complaint with the glock for a new shooter is the "you'll shoot your eye out kid" design on the field stripping process... Any gun that requires the operator to break two of the rules to field strip is an accident waiting to happen for new shooters... And, lets face it... We've seen a lot of "NOT" new shooters shoot themselves in the process.

I can't argue with you there. It is literally the ONLY thing I don't like about my Glock.

Get a sig.

Truer words have never been spoken! I am in the market for an LC9 Pro now that Ruger stripped the safety and the mag disconnect off of it. There are times even the G36 is too big to carry. ANY caliber on you beats a big boy caliber left at home in the safe. As for the MP5 under the seat of the car..... :notworthy:

Some new "mags" for my Tromix

Forgot to mention this the other day. You have a 3k+ gun! Step up the case bro to a Pelican. Might as well protect your investment when out and about. I have Pelicans for all of my guns and the cases are worth every penny. You can probably fit the shotty and the drum mag in the Pelican 1700 with the stock extended and for sure with it folded. You can always step up to the 1720 if needed.

I suck so bad... 7 people can post before Im done editing what I said...

I suck so bad... 7 people can post before Im done editing what I said...

You are the king of:

"Buy a sig"

That turns into 4 paragraphs by the time I get the email and then log in to respond.

:eusa_dance:

Roman, what do you think of the Sig 320?

No experience with it, BUT.. The best pistol I've ever shot, bar none, is my 226 Mk25... The 229-.357 is a close second. Both suck to carry though-although the 229 is a bit nicer for that.

You are the king of:

"Buy a sig"

That turns into 4 paragraphs by the time I get the email and then log in to respond.

:eusa_dance:

Im a dyslexic... But I hate typos.. So I fix them... And while I'm at it, I forgot to mention...

Get a sig.

Excellent advice, my concealed carry is a Sig 238 carried in a Cross Breed IWB holster. I know it is in my waistband, but it is far from uncomfortable. I don't even lose a belt loop when carrying. I can't imagine trying to concealed carry a full frame like my Glock 21.

I can't argue with you there. It is literally the ONLY thing I don't like about my Glock.

Truer words have never been spoken! I am in the market for an LC9 Pro now that Ruger stripped the safety and the mag disconnect off of it. There are times even the G36 is too big to carry. ANY caliber on you beats a big boy caliber left at home in the safe. As for the MP5 under the seat of the car..... :notworthy:

Have you shot the LC9? I have an LC9 and don't like it at all compared to my Sig 238. It has horrible muzzle flip and that is just shooting target loads. I don't know the differences between the LC9 and the LC9 Pro, so maybe Ruger corrected that. I did buy a heavier spring which I have read will help with the muzzle flip, but I just haven't had a chance to test it out at the range.

Have you shot the LC9? I have an LC9 and don't like it at all compared to my Sig 238. It has horrible muzzle flip and that is just shooting target loads. I don't know the differences between the LC9 and the LC9 Pro, so maybe Ruger corrected that. I did buy a heavier spring which I have read will help with the muzzle flip, but I just haven't had a chance to test it out at the range.

I have shot an LC9 but never a Sig 238. If they are comparable in size I may need to take a look at it!

No experience with it, BUT.. The best pistol I've ever shot, bar none, is my 226 Mk25... The 229-.357 is a close second. Both suck to carry though-although the 229 is a bit nicer for that.

I have an M11-A1, essentially the 229 version of your MK25 in 9mm. It's a fantastic gun. I've eyed the MK25 but it's so close to the M11 it almost seems pointless, which is why I got the 227. Needed some 45acp in my diet. :icon_mrgreen:

238 looks interesting as well.

I have shot an LC9 but never a Sig 238. If they are comparable in size I may need to take a look at it!

1911 design aside, I love the Sig. The 238 is 380, but Sig came out with the 938 shortly after I bought the 238. The 938 is hardly an bigger, but jumps to 9mm. My dad has both and prefers the 938.

At 1st I merely liked my Sig 238. Once I removed the wood grips in favor of rubber Hogue grips ($15-20 on Amazon) and added a Sig extended magazine, the gun was like an completely new weapon and became one of my favorites. The Sig extended magazine only adds 1 round to capacity but it has a pinky finger catch which makes a world of difference for me. I have far better control of the gun now and it no longer feels like a sub compact frame which normally feel too small in my hand to feel comfortable with.

The Sig and Ruger are different price points, but I feel that the $ is justified between the two in terms of feel and quality.

Speaking as an attorney now, the 1911 is just fcuking unsafe. The cocked and locked design basically forces one too keep the gun unloaded, or with one in the chamber and cocked. And that opens up way too many avenues for "I thought it was unloaded" tragedies. I know I don't have to prove my gun loving credentials here, so I can say this- There are way too many gun guys who treat these preventable tragedies like darwin awards... Immediately screaming about four rules and what an idiot the shooter was... There are a lot of people who arent gun people who will come into contact with a firearm. They think they know how to operate it and unload it safely. But the 1911 makes it much more likely they'll have an UD. And everytime somebody is unintentionally injured by a gun, gun rights also suffer.

And how is a 1911 cocked and locked any more dangerous than a loaded striker fired pistol? It just has an external hammer rather than an internal one. Any non gun person picking up a modern striker fired handgun instead is just as likely to have an UD. You could make the argument the 1911 is one of the "safest" pistols due to it's 2 external safeties

My only complaint with the glock for a new shooter is the "you'll shoot your eye out kid" design on the field stripping process... Any gun that requires the operator to break two of the rules to field strip is an accident waiting to happen for new shooters... And, lets face it... We've seen a lot of "NOT" new shooters shoot themselves in the process.

Guy that details my cars put a hole through his hand about 2 years ago stripping his glock. One day he showed up with a bunch of pins sticking out of his hand and told me he shot his hand. I said was it a glock, he was like how did you guess.

Saying that I truthfully own more glocks than I can list off the top of my head and carry one.

And how is a 1911 cocked and locked any more dangerous than a loaded striker fired pistol? It just has an external hammer rather than an internal one. Any non gun person picking up a modern striker fired handgun instead is just as likely to have an UD. You could make the argument the 1911 is one of the "safest" pistols due to it's 2 external safeties

First, Because you CANT carry with the hammer lowered... Hammer has to be cocked to keep it off the firing pin or theres a chance of a bang at any moment. A DAO pistol will have an internal safety that prevents that. Hammer down, long trigger pull, no chance of a UD without deliberately pulling the trigger.

Second, Since the hammer is cocked, if the main external safety is accidentally released (It DOES happen... It happens by accident when people hit it... And it happens IN THE fcuking HOLSTER...) and the gun is SAO, with ZERO trigger take up, there is nothing between a bang, but a feather light trigger pull.... (And the grip safety will be depressed by anyone grabbing the gun....)

FWIW... Im fairly certain this scenario killed somebody close to a member of this forum...

I was able to get one of the CMMG 10.4 barrels off of an auction on gun broker so I am going to use that. Had to grind down an open end wrench to get the damn barrels off, pretty annoying.

Ya I am not sure on the 5.7 round, I just bought it as a toy so I am not too worried.

Probably throw an extra EOTech I have kicking around on it.

Would you mind meauring the LOP for me?

Also check out a company named TROS. He makes pretty cool lowpro mounts for Aimpoints and ACOGs for the PS90.

Oh and if you need extra mags CDNN is selling OEM 50rounders for under $30.

Not that I am researching PS90s at all or anything.

Would you mind meauring the LOP for me?

Also check out a company named TROS. He makes pretty cool lowpro mounts for Aimpoints and ACOGs for the PS90.

Oh and if you need extra mags CDNN is selling OEM 50rounders for under $30.

Not that I am researching PS90s at all or anything.

I might have just bought the wife a PS90 SBR for her birthday...

SBR-PR5-H1.jpg

Is that like Homer Simpson buying Marge a bowling ball for her Bday??

Love that gun in an SBR config, so cool!

SBR-PR5-H1.jpg

What's your source/ price on that?

What's your source/ price on that?

Short Story:

Mark McWillis at The Riddle of Steel (TROS)

http://www.trosusa.com/

$1495.00 +$40.00 shipping for the PS90 SBR with the adapter to thread it 1/2x28 instead of whatever funky thread FN uses.

Long Story:

I've been researching the PS90 for the last few years. Basically every since CMMG teased us with a .22 conversion (that never came to fruition). My choices were:

A. Buy the gun myself and find a local guy to cut the barrel

B. Find a barrel through someone like CMMG and install it myself

C. Buy a completed gun

At the end of 2013 I found TROS and emailed Mark. He got back to me right away and has an excellent reputation online. He originally quoted me $1795.00 for the SBR. For whatever reason I didn't buy a gun in 2013 and when I started thinking about getting one for the wife I dug up my old email chain with Mark. To his credit he told me straight up that he was glad I didn't buy one then cause the price has come down. He could have easily quoted me the old price and made himself a few extra bucks but told me the new lower price. He also told me (and I had already heard this in multiple places online) that FN was raising the price and pretty soon they were going to be jumping up another few hundred bucks.

So I could pay TROS $1495 and get a complete SBR or I could buy a normal 16.1in barrel PS90 off of Gunbroker for $1100 and either buy a barrel for $299/$379 from CMMG/Stryker and try and do the swap myself. The third option was to buy the regular length gun and then have TROS cut down the barrel and send it to me or install it for me. By the time I would have dealt with sending the gun or parts back and forth it was just easier to give him all of the business.

Additionally I love how the picture I posted looks with the AAC Blackout hider and I told Mark that. He told me to ship him my AAC Blackout with the check for the SBR and he would time it to the barrel for me for no charge. I am very impressed with how quickly he got back to me, how he had the opportunity to make a few extra bucks but told me the lower price anyway and his offer to put my hider on for me.

I haven't decided on optics for the gun yet and will let me wife make the call. He has low profile mounts for an Aimpoint or an ACOG that are pretty trick but my wife will probably go with something simple like the mini red dot shown in that picture. I am waiting to hear back from Mark on if that is a special mount they made up or the standard mount that comes with the PS90.

Why the PS90 for the wife? She wants to shoot but most rifles are hard for her to hold for long periods on time. My MP5 clone is cool but the length of pull is too long. The AR15 SBR has a nice short LOP but is front heavy. I toyed with building her a super light AR15 SBR but she didn't seem too interested. The PS90 while it has a slightly longer LOP than the AR15 has the benefit of tucking all the weight over the arms instead of in front of them. Additionally the 5.7 round will have low recoil but she can still shoot it at an indoor range as it is considered a pistol round. The mags are easy for her to load and the the gun looks badass. She gets to go shooting with her lady friends and pull out the coolest gun there. It is easy to clean and easy to work on and pretty damn reliable.

There is a very good chance the gun ends up with some sort of hydrodip camo coating for her and I plan on making a discrete case she can carry the gun (think tennis racket bag), a sling, 2 mags and the suppressor in. That's right I am going to give her my Mini4 can for it assuming she likes the weight balance.

Is that like Homer Simpson buying Marge a bowling ball for her Bday??

Love that gun in an SBR config, so cool!

Hahaha a bit. She really does enjoy shooting and I needed something that was cool, she could hold and she would like. In the thread above I list out all of the details as to why. One thing I forgot to mention was price. PS90 rounds have come down to about 40 cents a pop. Sure I can find steel cased 5.56 for about 23 cents a pop but even bulk brass is closer to 27 cents a pop. Let's say she shoots 1k a year out of it (which would be ridiculously high for her!) I am looking at a difference of less than $200 per year to feed that gun. WORTH IT! It is such a cool gun.

Plus I plan on keeping the brass for if I ever get in to reloading or to sell online to someone else to bring the price down a bit.

Hahaha a bit. She really does enjoy shooting and I needed something that was cool, she could hold and she would like.

You wife sounds pretty darn cool! Enjoy that gun, should be a blast... especially with the can.

You wife sounds pretty darn cool! Enjoy that gun, should be a blast... especially with the can.

My wife is pretty sweet...I think I will keep her! Can't wait to shoot this bad boy and then turn it over to her. I have a call in to AAC to confirm that I can indeed use the Mini4 can for 5.7 round.

Pics once it arrives!