Just pulled up my Tax Stamp Wait times info:

My longest Tax Stamp wait was my Huntertown can:

# of Days from Order to Transfer Approval = 111

# of Days from Transfer Approval to FFL Receiving = 18

# of Days from FFL Receiving to Tax Stamp Application = 15

# of Days from Tax Stamp Application to Check Cashed = 9

# of Days from Tax Stamp Submittal to Approval = 136

Total Elapsed Time = 280 Days.

My shortest Order to Transfer Approval was my AAC 556 cans at 32 days this summer. (6-18-2015 to 7-20-2015)

My shortest Tax Stamp Submittal to Approval was my AAC Mini-4 can at 111 days. (9-29-2014 to 1-20-2015) That can also only took 171 days from order to Tax Stamp approval which is my shortest non-SBR wait.

I also have an AAC Cyclone sitting at my dealer for 49 days and counting now that I haven't been able to start the paperwork on yet. That is killing me!

What would you guys recommend for my first gun? Looking for a concealed carry. Tried on the HK45c and it was still too big for me to conceal.

Also must have a safety.

What would you guys recommend for my first gun? Looking for a concealed carry. Tried on the HK45c and it was still too big for me to conceal.

Also must have a safety.

Why do you want a safety on a CC? No snark just wondering why.

Mainly because its my first gun, always a bit nervous around them.

I applaud you for admitting you are nervous and not just rushing in to it like a cowboy. I suggest you train with one for awhile before you carry. That training will alleviate your nervousness around carrying and will turn it in to a healthy respect. I used to be concerned over carrying my glock with one in the chamber; especially in light of the lack of a safety. I finally came to the decision that if I truly needed to pull my gun out I wasn't going to have time to rack a round or take it off of safety. Fine motor control is the first thing to go and I wanted to focus on point aim shoot and not point aim safety off/rack the slide shoot.

Most local gun ranges will let you rent a bunch of different guns so you can see what you are comfortable with. Worth the money for sure!

Question to all with SBR's and cans. Did you wind up setting up a FTA trust? Getting seriously tempted to pick up SIG's new MCX.

To Roman would it be advisable to pay to have a lawyer set up the trust or to set it up myself?

Question to all with SBR's and cans.

Trust was the only logical way to go for me. Skips all the silly/hassle LEO sign off. I did mine with Quicken Will Maker software, but there are also several places that will do it for you. I would start with your SOT, they often will do it for free/cheap when you're buying the NFA item from them.

Also must have a safety.

If you aren't comfortable around firearms, a 45 wouldn't be my first choice just like a UGR X package wouldn't be great for someone who hasn't even driven a stock exotic, sure you could do it but it isn't the best idea. I would stick to smaller calibers like 9mm and 380. The smaller calibers are much easier to control compared to 45 and IMO you will build your comfort level faster if you have feel better in control of the gun.

Compare a 380 to a 45 and you will see why many of the subcompact carry guns aren't offered 45. The only subcompact 45 I can think of would be the Springfield XDS and even that comes in both 45 and 9mm. My dad has one and it is a lot of round to control holding on to such a small gun which is why he carries a SigP938 9mm and I carry a SigP238 380 as my daily CCW. With my P238 in a Cross Breed IWB holster, I don't even lose a belt loop with it tucked into the small of my back.

Despite the media's portrayal of gun owners and guns stores, they aren't all crazy gun loving rednecks and guns shops are used to dealing with everything from the most experienced gun owners to the first time buyers that couldn't tell the difference between a safety and a mag release. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions because just learning the basics will help alleviate some of your nervousness and start building a healthy level of comfort and respect for guns.

If you aren't comfortable around firearms, a 45 wouldn't be my first choice just like a UGR X package wouldn't be great for someone who hasn't even driven a stock exotic, sure you could do it but it isn't the best idea. I would stick to smaller calibers like 9mm and 380. The smaller calibers are much easier to control compared to 45 and IMO you will build your comfort level faster if you have feel better in control of the gun.

Compare a 380 to a 45 and you will see why many of the subcompact carry guns aren't offered 45. The only subcompact 45 I can think of would be the Springfield XDS and even that comes in both 45 and 9mm. My dad has one and it is a lot of round to control holding on to such a small gun which is why he carries a SigP938 9mm and I carry a SigP238 380 as my daily CCW. With my P238 in a Cross Breed IWB holster, I don't even lose a belt loop with it tucked into the small of my back.

Despite the media's portrayal of gun owners and guns stores, they aren't all crazy gun loving rednecks and guns shops are used to dealing with everything from the most experienced gun owners to the first time buyers that couldn't tell the difference between a safety and a mag release. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions because just learning the basics will help alleviate some of your nervousness and start building a healthy level of comfort and respect for guns.

Thanks for the info. I did shoot the XDS 45 and I did feel a lot of kick back compared to a 9. My aim with the 9 was much better.

Thanks for the info. I did shoot the XDS 45 and I did feel a lot of kick back compared to a 9. My aim with the 9 was much better.

Since you are looking to conceal, I assume you are looking at subcompacts. You will see some of the subcompacts that have a lot of muzzle flip because their isn't much gun to hold on to even in the smaller calibers. That flip will only increase when you go from target loads to higher power defense rounds.

If you have larger hands, something to consider is most guns you can get a grip or magazine extension. I added an extended magazine to my Sig which only gave me 1 additional round of capacity, but the extension gave my pinky finger a place to rest instead of just sitting off the grip. Having 5 fingers instead of 4 wrapped around the gun made a world difference when it came to control. I also pulled the factory wood grips off in favor of rubber Hogue grips for $20 from Amazon, that change was huge as well.

Also must have a safety.

Like asking "what should I get for a first car?" you are going to get answers all over the map. Theres lots of great pistols out there, you just have to figure out what you like best. And even then your tastes will change. I have changed my carry gun probably 6 times in 15 years. Tastes change, needs change.

I personally would point you twords a Glock, Springfield XD or Smith & Wesson M&P. There's other guns out there that are great. Those just seem to be the most popular. Get some training (CHL course is not training). I would not buy a personal defense pistol with a safety. Odds are high that under stress you will forget it. A good holster with cover the trigger. Mine NEVER EVER comes out of the holster unless I am at the range to practice.

I carry a Glock 19 in a Comp Tac Infidel slide holster. There's zero chance it's going to accidentally go off unless I pull it out and start messing with it. It won't happen. IT STAYS IN THE HOLSTER AT ALL TIMES.

Most ranges will have a bunch of different guns to rent. Try some different ones and see what you like. My preference goes to Glock. They are just so simple and reliable. Not the prettiest or most ergonomic. They just work.

post-5221-1450333403.jpg

Question to all with SBR's and cans. Did you wind up setting up a FTA trust? Getting seriously tempted to pick up SIG's new MCX.

To Roman would it be advisable to pay to have a lawyer set up the trust or to set it up myself?

There are a few special considerations when setting up a gun trust... if you dont know them, hire a lawyer.

Also must have a safety.

I know its going to sound counter intuitive.... BUUUUUUUT... I think guns with safeties are MORE dangerous. Its just one more thing to think about when youre handling a gun...

Not to mention that most guns with safeties are 1911s, which is, in my opinion, the most dangerous gun design for new shooters.

Get a dao semi with internal safeties... And remember... I carry Israeli and have no problem with people who do.

Roman,

Interesting theory on safeties, I'll be honest, I'm just not comfortable carrying with one in the pipe and no safety, mostly because it only takes one accident; if I knew that I only had the gun on me for a given day, maybe I'd just be super careful, but day in day out, they scare me.

Now to my main question (this one is incendiary!) Who here favors a .45 over a 9MM? I know many agencies are switching back as they find that 9MM have faster follow up shots etc, and the claim is that modern bullets in the 9 perform essentially just as well, but to me, a slow moving large diameter bullet is going to dump a lot more energy into a bad guy more consistently. Thoughts?

I'm far from an expert, but I believe a lot depends on the size of the gun you're carrying. If you're using a true carry size gun, springfield xds or similar, in my opinion the 45 is a lot to hold onto. Also consider you're giving up round count to the smaller calibers. Using the xds for example, the 45 has a 5rd mag where in 9mm it's a 7rd. (both using standard length flush mags)

I'll take the couple extra rounds of 9mm in a gun thats easier to control. If you haven't dropped the guy with 7 rounds of 9mm federal HST, the gun isn't the problem.

Roman,

Interesting theory on safeties, I'll be honest, I'm just not comfortable carrying with one in the pipe and no safety, mostly because it only takes one accident; if I knew that I only had the gun on me for a given day, maybe I'd just be super careful, but day in day out, they scare me.

Now to my main question (this one is incendiary!) Who here favors a .45 over a 9MM? I know many agencies are switching back as they find that 9MM have faster follow up shots etc, and the claim is that modern bullets in the 9 perform essentially just as well, but to me, a slow moving large diameter bullet is going to dump a lot more energy into a bad guy more consistently. Thoughts?

guns just don't go off. Biggest fallacy ever. If you have a decent firearm it is only going to go bang when you pull the trigger. Don't take this as bravado because it is far from it instead take it as a healthy respect....if you aren't comfortable carrying with no safety and one in the chamber then you shouldn't be carrying. You need more time behind the trigger to grow your skills and your comfort and respect level.

You better believe when I get home the CC and I are going to spend some serious quality time together before she goes back on my side.

Now there is nothing I repeat nothing wrong with the way you feel. Just take it for what it is and understand you should spend more time practicing your skills!

I'm far from an expert, but I believe a lot depends on the size of the gun you're carrying. If you're using a true carry size gun, springfield xds or similar, in my opinion the 45 is a lot to hold onto. Also consider you're giving up round count to the smaller calibers. Using the xds for example, the 45 has a 5rd mag where in 9mm it's a 7rd. (both using standard length flush mags)

I'll take the couple extra rounds of 9mm in a gun thats easier to control. If you haven't dropped the guy with 7 rounds of 9mm federal HST, the gun isn't the problem.

:iamwithstupid:

If we are simply talking 45 vs 9mm, 45 is my preferred round for no reason other than I enjoy the experience of shooting a 45. When you go to a range and everyone is shooting 9mm and then someone pulls out a 45, you definitely hear the difference and if you are close enough in an indoor range you can feel it. I think of it the way some compare a Ferrari and a Lambo, maybe the performance is equal, but the Lambo is an experience beyond just pure performance metrics.

If we are talking 45 vs 9mm in regards to a CCW, I think it was Roman that said the best CCW gun is the one you actually carry. If it isn't comfortable to carry and you end up leaving it at home, the caliber doesn't really matter. I have a G21 45 as my truck gun because it is a favorite of mine, I shoot it well, and with 13+1 capacity I have more than enough chance to stop a threat. It would be a bitch to conceal though. The gun that actually leaves the house as my CCW is my Sig 238, it is 380 with 7+1, I have great control of it, has a Sig laser, and most importantly it is comfortable to carry so it never gets left at home where it is useless to me.

guns just don't go off. Biggest fallacy ever. If you have a decent firearm it is only going to go bang when you pull the trigger. Don't take this as bravado because it is far from it instead take it as a healthy respect....if you aren't comfortable carrying with no safety and one in the chamber then you shouldn't be carrying. You need more time behind the trigger to grow your skills and your comfort and respect level.

You better believe when I get home the CC and I are going to spend some serious quality time together before she goes back on my side.

Now there is nothing I repeat nothing wrong with the way you feel. Just take it for what it is and understand you should spend more time practicing your skills!

I realize they don't just go off, and never said they did, however through the day in day out of pulling other stuff out of my pants (wallet, keys etc) along with the incredible adrenaline rush (and jumpiness) of having to pull the gun out for business; I can still see getting a bad case of Glock-Leg if you aren't careful. I actually used to know a guy that did an IWB .44 at one point, just going to the range, of course loaded. With a revolver he still managed to basically blow his left knee in half and limped until he died a few years back.

Also, I tend to think people vastly overrate how quickly you will need to bring your gun into action, even if you need it.

Roman,

What scares you? A Glock has the trigger safety, a firing pin block, and a drop safety. The XD has a grip safety too. Unless you physically pull the trigger, it won't go off. It's damn near impossible. All three safeties would have to fail at the same time. Keep it in a holster at ALL times, don't point it at anyone or yourself, and you won't have any accident.

Would a revolver scare you? One is in the chamber at all times if you like it or not with a revolver. And it only has a one safety which is a hammer block (drop safety). The rest is up to you.

In my opinion, people who are scared to carry with one in the chamber usually don't much experience or knowledge of firearms or don't carry in a holster (I'd be scared too). Get some training from someone who knows what they are doing. When the SHTF, you most likely won't have time to think about safeties or putting one in the chamber. If your opponent has a gun, I guarantee he will have one in the chamber, and you won't. That's not good.

I saw video of a jewelry store robbery in the 90's, three bad guys came in and the store owner actually got the drop on them. One little problem, he had a 1911 with a safety that he forgot about under stress. While he was fumbling with the safety costing him one second in the "oh shit forgot the safety" moment and another second fumbing with it, it bought the bad guys enough time to finish their draw and shoot him. I don't remember if he died or not. But it did not go his way.

Watch how fast shit happens....(ignore that he almost shot the little girl, that's a whole other topic.). Do you think he would have had time to load on in the chamber? No. The bad guy already had his gun out.

I realize they don't just go off, and never said they did, however through the day in day out of pulling other stuff out of my pants (wallet, keys etc) along with the incredible adrenaline rush (and jumpiness) of having to pull the gun out for business; I can still see getting a bad case of Glock-Leg if you aren't careful. I actually used to know a guy that did an IWB .44 at one point, just going to the range, of course loaded. With a revolver he still managed to basically blow his left knee in half and limped until he died a few years back.

Also, I tend to think people vastly overrate how quickly you will need to bring your gun into action, even if you need it.

I completely understand this.... I carry without a holster.... Gangster style... The barrel is literally on my dick sometimes...I DONT want that going off accidentally... ANNND... I throw my gun in my backpack a lot coming and going from the gym and stuff... I did have a pen, find its way into the trigger guard once... It could have easily depressed the trigger when I went to remove the gun... But... I carry empty chamber...

But I can draw cock and shoot just as fast as most can draw and shoot...

Look at this idiot. This is how accidents happen. The guy is in an elevator with a birthday cake or something in one hand talking to a lady. No reason WHATSOEVER to pull his gun out and mess with it in the elevator. He does it anyway. He ends up with Glock leg. He broke all rules of common sense and safety.