I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

I never pop into the gun thread.. IDK why.

SBR/Stamp... now admittedly- I did not read back more than a few posts- but why not just build an AR Pistol? No stamp needed.

i-Fd2F2sP-L.jpg

I was looking into it because the Tavor is equivalent size to AR pistol without the brace and shoulder issues

Tavor-and-AR-pistol1-e1416417544662.jpg

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized I never posted a pic of my first full build. Still sorting out what optics I want, but the Burris XTR ii 1-8 FFP looks really promising for the $$

Matched set Mega billet ambi lower with a Mega billet upper that has the integrated M-Lok 12" handguard. I can't speak highly enough of the Mega stuff, the fit and finish of all the parts is amazing. Even without the pins in place there is no movement between the upper and lower, it's the tightest AR i've ever held.

LaRue predatar 16" barrel with the VG6 Gamma muzzle break

Superlative arms piston kit using a colt bolt. Thus far it looks like a nice setup, lots of adjustment in the gas block and it fits easily under the mega hand guard. I like that it's a solid rod with the spring captured inside the gas block, and you don't need to remove the gas block or hand guard to remove the piston and spring.

Geissele charging handle and SSA trigger.

Soon as I get some optics on it I will hit the range and see how it groups.

Mega1.jpg

I just realized I never posted a pic of my first full build. Still sorting out what optics I want, but the Burris XTR ii 1-8 FFP looks really promising for the $$

Matched set Mega billet ambi lower with a Mega billet upper that has the integrated M-Lok 12" handguard. I can't speak highly enough of the Mega stuff, the fit and finish of all the parts is amazing. Even without the pins in place there is no movement between the upper and lower, it's the tightest AR i've ever held.

Superlative arms piston kit using a colt bolt. Thus far it looks like a nice setup, lots of adjustment in the gas block and it fits easily under the mega hand guard. I like that it's a solid rod with the spring captured inside the gas block, and you don't need to remove the gas block or hand guard to remove the piston and spring.

post-22556-1480820101_thumb.jpg

Very nice.

Any reason you went with a Geissele charging handle? I have been looking for a larger/longer charging handle because with the optics on my DPMS LR 10, I can't get a decent grip on the charging handle. I have seen a ton of options, BCM keeps coming up in reviews online and is half the price of the Geissele. I just don't have shop that carries lots of accessories for me to compare anything in person.

Why did you go with the Geissele trigger vs CMC or Timney? It seems like Geissele is the gold standard, and I have seen Charlie mention their triggers on some of his AR and SBR builds. The trigger on my LR 10 leaves a lot to be desired in terms of feel in my opinion. It definitely does not have the "candy cane breaking" feeling that you hear about when describing Geissele.

Last question, why that muzzle brake? Any experience with it or just heard good things? I saw a quick clip of the Gamma 762 and it looks to perform well, I just have no experience with muzzle brakes, so I don't know which is which actually performs and which brands end up just looking the part. The Precision Armament M11 gets great reviews on Brownells.

Trying to post a pic, but can't get it to upload even though it is smaller than 2MB.

Very nice.

Any reason you went with a Geissele charging handle? I have been looking for a larger/longer charging handle because with the optics on my DPMS LR 10, I can't get a decent grip on the charging handle. I have seen a ton of options, BCM keeps coming up in reviews online and is half the price of the Geissele. I just don't have shop that carries lots of accessories for me to compare anything in person.

Why did you go with the Geissele trigger vs CMC or Timney? It seems like Geissele is the gold standard, and I have seen Charlie mention their triggers on some of his AR and SBR builds. The trigger on my LR 10 leaves a lot to be desired in terms of feel in my opinion. It definitely does not have the "candy cane breaking" feeling that you hear about when describing Geissele.

Last question, why that muzzle brake? Any experience with it or just heard good things? I saw a quick clip of the Gamma 762 and it looks to perform well, I just have no experience with muzzle brakes, so I don't know which is which actually performs and which brands end up just looking the part. The Precision Armament M11 gets great reviews on Brownells.

Trying to post a pic, but can't get it to upload even though it is smaller than 2MB.

The BCM are nice for the price and I really considered a Mod 3 for this build. But when you pick up the Geissele piece you can just feel the quality, how the ambi handles work together, it's in a whole different league. Plus I just liked the look and feel of it it better.

On the trigger, I didn't want a single stage so that ruled out Timney and others. The more I read up on them, talked to guys here (Roman, etc), the consensus was, why would you bother with anything else? You never hear of anyone having problems with a Geissele trigger, and they offer a bunch of models to fit your needs. If you don't want to spend the $$ I've heard the Larue MBT is pretty sweet.

If you're not in a hurry, you can find the Geissele stuff for 25% off from time to time. I waited for a sale and bought the trigger, charging handle, and a reaction rod together.

For the brake, they do work well at reducing barrel rise and recoil, at the hearing expense of everyone next to you. I didn't really care about having a flash hider (they make this brake with a flash hider added on). With a brake everything is a trade off of function, size, weight, concussion/noise, etc. Ultimately I liked this one, it seems to perform well while being smaller and lighter than the huge brakes.

Oh and EVERYONE should buy an Ergo tactical delux grip. I tried it after seeing Roman & Charlie mention them and that damn thing is the best grip ever.

Good info, thank you. I have heard the Geiselle are top notch and very reliable. One review on Brownells I read said the Geissele trigger failed, the reviewer contacted Geiselle and a new trigger was sent out no questions asked, they just wanted the failed trigger back. That kind of customer service is worth the few extra $s.

I agree on Ergo grips. I already have them on my AR-15 and my DPMS LR-10 with an Ergo broom handle vertical forward grip on my AR-15.

Thanks! Got any favorites in the SBR category? Assuming I won't deploy much further than my house, local range, and nearby ranch land. ;)

You have a couple options for doing an SBR:

1. If you already have a 16" AR15 just do the stamp on your existing lower and you can buy a 10" - 11.5" upper and swap from 10 to 16 with one lower to save funds. Their are several uppers I would recommend like KAC, LWRC (if want piston), BCM, Noveske, Daniel Defense, etc:

http://www.operationparts.com/knights-arma...-receiver-assy/

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-11-...fh-kmr-a-10.htm

https://www.lwrci.com/p-499-ic-a2-sbr-upper.aspx

2. Buy a complete build from one of these manufacturers.

We currently have MIL/GOV fulfillment so we unfortunately can not do any other builds at this time.

post-22556-1480820101_thumb.jpg

Nice build! Solid parts chosen :icon_thumleft:

So ive picked up a few things that have been along time coming.

First is my first "long range" platform I realize it doesn't compete with what you guys are playing with but this is my first foray into the precision long range game. Romandad may remember me talking with him about 3 years ago asking about parts to pick out and how to go about deciding what to go with. Well life got in the way for a while and i have probably been home for about 6-7 months of the last 3 years. Well I finally said fcuk it im gonna stay home for a while and have some fun.

The Rifle is a Remington 700 milspec 5r, I have had the bolt face trued the action trued the barrel recrowned and am now just trying to decide on a new trigger (although the xpro isnt terrible). I mounted a Bushnell elite tactical HDMR 3.5-21 on it with a 20MOA badger base and Ar height rings, unfortunately work got in the way again and I haven't shot it yet.

post-8211-1481399629_thumb.jpg

I've loaded the program shooter ready on my work laptop and when i have down time im constantly playing around with it trying things out and hoping to get better. Now where I need some opinions is what range finder and spotting scopes do you guys recommend?

Then yesterday I decided to scratch an "old school" itch i have had fora while now. I had been wanting an over under for quite some time just, more or less just because. I do go phesant hunting and about once every other month go clay shooting but i usually would just either borrow someones over under or use one of my pump or semi shotguns.

I decided to pick up a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1, i was back and forth between this and the new benelli 828U but the gun store i went to gave me a deal i couldnt pass up on the beretta

post-8211-1481399626_thumb.jpg

I just love the way it has one of the best actions in the industry with out all the frills, this will be a field gun so i dont care about the "extras".

Question for Roman & other knowledgeable people.

For those of us in CA, with the laws that will be changing and pending AW registry requirements, should we be setting up firearm trust prior to this all getting put in place?

Question for Roman & other knowledgeable people.

For those of us in CA, with the laws that will be changing and pending AW registry requirements, should we be setting up firearm trust prior to this all getting put in place?

Ive got to be honest... One of the perks of living here is, I don't have to pay attention to California's ridiculous laws... I have no idea what theve done now or if a trust would help or hurt...

Ive got to be honest... One of the perks of living here is, I don't have to pay attention to California's ridiculous laws... I have no idea what theve done now or if a trust would help or hurt...

Essentially classified all bullet button AR's as Assault Weapons requiring them to be registered as such next year. You wont be able to buy a traditional AR in CA next year.

Some people are doing the featureless thing which is supposed to get around registration requirements.

Essentially classified all bullet button AR's as Assault Weapons requiring them to be registered as such next year. You wont be able to buy a traditional AR in CA next year.

Some people are doing the featureless thing which is supposed to get around registration requirements.

Yeah, that's how it is here in NY. Either completely featureless or have the magazine permanently attached. The gun range I go to owns fully-functional ARs that are illegal for regular citizens to own, but you can rent them to at least get the experience of shooting a regular AR. You could do the same I suppose with a top-loaded AR with a fixed magazine, just it is too slow to reload so only really for recreational use.

New to me StG 58 built on a PAC Arms Imbel Gear Logo Receiver. Picked it up at a gunshow two weeks ago here in GA. The Steyr kit is near new with only a few test rounds fired through it post build for function check. I have another Imbel GL receiver and an older Imbel kit that I was going to have built, but when I saw this plum and it's sweet ass price the other build was parked for now.

Merry Christmas Pal!

etzmli.jpg

After Emanon mentioned Geissele triggers going on sale from time to time, I reached out to Geiselle directly and asked if they would tell me when the next sale was coming up. They told me no Christmas sale is planned, but they said watch PrimaryArms.com as they are on of their biggest dealers. Been checking almost daily for over a week and tonight I saw all Geissele products are 25% off. Just ordered the SSA-E for my DPMS LR-308.

After Emanon mentioned Geissele triggers going on sale from time to time, I reached out to Geiselle directly and asked if they would tell me when the next sale was coming up. They told me no Christmas sale is planned, but they said watch PrimaryArms.com as they are on of their biggest dealers. Been checking almost daily for over a week and tonight I saw all Geissele products are 25% off. Just ordered the SSA-E for my DPMS LR-308.

Just woke up over here in the UAE and was going to post this for you guys! PA usually runs some sweet deals. Def worth subscribing to their news letter assuming you want to spend more money then you budgeted. ;)

Just woke up over here in the UAE and was going to post this for you guys! PA usually runs some sweet deals. Def worth subscribing to their news letter assuming you want to spend more money then you budgeted. ;)

Brownells is also running deals on Geissele triggers, not as big of a discount but close. They have a $20 off with free shipping if you spend over $200 coupon on their front page.

Scope arrived :icon_mrgreen:

I dont have a ton of experience with AR scopes but this seems to be pretty sweet so far. Taking it out tomorrow for my first range session to get everything dialed in.

Burris XTR ii 1-8 (not the 1.5-8) FFP.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-...flescope-1-8x24

In a larue LT104 mount.

Shit, my pic is too large to upload. Ill post it later.

• 1 month later...

Talk to me about safes. I am looking for something that will hold 15-20 long guns, some with scopes, some shot guns, then an area to store important documents, pistols, and whatever else, Im more concerned about the security aspect than the fire ratings. Also I dont want a super expensive safe either, thinking around 2k.

Talk to me about safes. I am looking for something that will hold 15-20 long guns, some with scopes, some shot guns, then an area to store important documents, pistols, and whatever else, Im more concerned about the security aspect than the fire ratings. Also I dont want a super expensive safe either, thinking around 2k.

Liberty. Protect your investments. Can't go wrong with a good safe.

I really like Sturdy Safe, a lot of apples to apples bang for the buck.

Beyond that, AmSec, liberty, Ft. Knox are all good.