I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

Funny story from last weekend. So I don't shoot my guns much, just have the 50AE desert eagle and a little 40 s&w but I put the 50 in the case and locked it up and get to the range like 20 minutes away to meet friends and take the case out only to realize I forgot the key...

So I ended up just shooting the 40, but lesson learned for next time about putting those tiny little keys somewhere I will remember them

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk to me about safes. I am looking for something that will hold 15-20 long guns, some with scopes, some shot guns, then an area to store important documents, pistols, and whatever else, Im more concerned about the security aspect than the fire ratings. Also I dont want a super expensive safe either, thinking around 2k.

I like Fort Knox You can see the different kinds on this website: http://safesrus.com/

Price sheet I have from a few years ago (range based on size):

Maverick $1300-$2700

Defenders $1800-$5700

Protector $2300-$5000

Guardian $3500-$6000

###### $4700-7100

Legend $11k-14k

Finally took the .410 plunge this weekend. I am very happy with the gun and the quality given the "entry level" nature of it. Put down a pheasant, chucker and litany of quail first time out. Becoming a big believer in Rizzini.

Funny story from last weekend. So I don't shoot my guns much, just have the 50AE desert eagle and a little 40 s&w but I put the 50 in the case and locked it up and get to the range like 20 minutes away to meet friends and take the case out only to realize I forgot the key...

So I ended up just shooting the 40, but lesson learned for next time about putting those tiny little keys somewhere I will remember them

Been there done that. Sucks.

I like Fort Knox You can see the different kinds on this website: http://safesrus.com/

Price sheet I have from a few years ago (range based on size):

Maverick $1300-$2700

Defenders $1800-$5700

Protector $2300-$5000

Guardian $3500-$6000

###### $4700-7100

Legend $11k-14k

My dad has a Fort Knox. He likes it. I talked to him tonight and he is really selling me on Champion Safes . He talked to a guy at a gun show this past weekend and for the size it seemed good.

Finally took the .410 plunge this weekend. I am very happy with the gun and the quality given the "entry level" nature of it. Put down a pheasant, chucker and litany of quail first time out. Becoming a big believer in Rizzini.

.410s are fun to shoot, 28 gauge too. Growing up everyone said you cant hit shit with them. But I shot my dads at their place behind their house at clays and it seemed to do pretty good. Also myself, dad, and a few others do a sporting clay league(10 week summer and 6 week fall). At the end of the first season, between the fall league, my dad used his .410 and did just about as good as he did with the 12 gauge. Another used a 28 Gauge and did about the same off their normal. If you reload these you can get the rounds significantly cheaper than buying them.

• 2 weeks later...
Charlie...

How's the cadex chassis system? Saw it on your company fb page.

The Cadex Defense and AI chassis are my two favorite. We have had great success with them. When Cadex first came out we did have some issues with holding zero on the bigger builds (300 WM/338Lapua) because the bolts would loosen up over time. Since their upgrades in 2016 we have not seen those issues arise. A lot of our builds are .260 right now just because the ballistics are amazing and solid gel testing compared to other rounds. So we are not doing a lot of 300 WM like the past for the Mil/agency vendors for bolt guns.

We have a couple precision rifle builds for sale right now at Scottsdale Gun Club...both with McMillan A5 stocks (a .260 and a 308). We can certainly build anything you wish as well. Some of our builds...(images)

post-10287-1486759095.jpg

post-10287-1486759110_thumb.jpg

post-10287-1486759125_thumb.jpg

post-10287-1486759301_thumb.jpg

The Cadex Defense and AI chassis are my two favorite. We have had great success with them. When Cadex first came out we did have some issues with holding zero on the bigger builds (300 WM/338Lapua) because the bolts would loosen up over time. Since their upgrades in 2016 we have not seen those issues arise. A lot of our builds are .260 right now just because the ballistics are amazing and solid gel testing compared to other rounds. So we are not doing a lot of 300 WM like the past for the Mil/agency vendors for bolt guns.

We have a couple precision rifle builds for sale right now at Scottsdale Gun Club...both with McMillan A5 stocks (a .260 and a 308). We can certainly build anything you wish as well. Some of our builds...

Nice stuff. The Cadex looks great but before I drop $1.5-2k on a chassis I would want to get behind one and I haven't found anyone local yet who has one.

Any reason behind 260 and not 6.5CM or 6.5x47L? I hear the Prime .260 is good stuff, but haven't tried any

Nice stuff. The Cadex looks great but before I drop $1.5-2k on a chassis I would want to get behind one and I haven't found anyone local yet who has one.

Any reason behind 260 and not 6.5CM or 6.5x47L? I hear the Prime .260 is good stuff, but haven't tried any

the 260 and 6.5 are very close. A lot of great articles out there comparing the two rounds and then deciding which round is better for what you are going to use the weapon for.

• 3 weeks later...

Sitting at +283 days since I submitted my tax stamp paperwork on 3 cans. That's +70 days past my longest previous waiting period.

Guess it's a good thing I'm sitting over here in the desert and can't shoot my guns anyway.

Question to my lefty friends! I am building ARs for my boys (talked about that on here before) and it suddenly hit me this week that my youngest is a lefty. I've known he was a left since he was 6-7 months old but I never thought about it when it comes to shooting. I know I can set up an AR lower to be ambiance and that's how I prefer to build them anyway. My question is should I build him a lefty upper? Part of me says yes so that it is HIS gun and part of me says no since 99% of the guns out there are going to be set up for a eighty and I want him comfortable behind firearms not just his own personal.

What do you leftys do?

Is your son left eye dominant? I am left handed, right eye dominant, so I shoot right handed.

Question to my lefty friends! I am building ARs for my boys (talked about that on here before) and it suddenly hit me this week that my youngest is a lefty. I've known he was a left since he was 6-7 months old but I never thought about it when it comes to shooting. I know I can set up an AR lower to be ambiance and that's how I prefer to build them anyway. My question is should I build him a lefty upper? Part of me says yes so that it is HIS gun and part of me says no since 99% of the guns out there are going to be set up for a eighty and I want him comfortable behind firearms not just his own personal.

What do you leftys do?

Lefty here.

I never really had an issue shooting standard AR's. Best mod to do would be a BAD lever, to make modulating the bolt catch easier during reloads.

Really, the worst part is unless I'm at the first stall on the left I'm more likely to get hit by other people's brass.

Lefty here.

I never really had an issue shooting standard AR's. Best mod to do would be a BAD lever, to make modulating the bolt catch easier during reloads.

Really, the worst part is unless I'm at the first stall on the left I'm more likely to get hit by other people's brass.

Appreciate it! I think I'll stick with a righty build for him plus the BAD lever. If he hates it I can build another upper..Oh well. 😀

Another question for everyone, concerning ear protection. I have ear muffs, which work good. But I would like to find some good ear bud type protection since I shoot clays somewhat competitively. I think I could get a more consistent form without the bulky ear muffs.

Another question for everyone, concerning ear protection. I have ear muffs, which work good. But I would like to find some good ear bud type protection since I shoot clays somewhat competitively. I think I could get a more consistent form without the bulky ear muffs.

I have about 4 or 5 pair of the surefire sonic defenders. they make them with all levels of NRR set ups. couldn't be happier. really comfortable and i'm in the same boat as you, shooting rifle/shotgun i get a really low cheek weld which makes ear muffs difficult but pistol I'm fine ( obviously). I use the surefires all the time.

What do you leftys do?

I am left handed and have never shot a LH made gun...I build guns and do not even build myself a LF gun...not even a bolt gun. Main reason being is because I want to be proficient with any weapon and 99% of the time if a weapon is given to me it is going to be RH. Please keep him on RH weapons. For an AR platform their are several things you can add to the weapon to make him proficient in mag changes, bolt release, Bambi safety, etc. For pistols he will get used to mag releases or their are some that can change mag release...but again keep him using RH weapons. A great thing to start them when they are young is getting them proficient in being ambi...bc their are a lot of times I will switch from LF to RH...esp in CQB.

Is your son left eye dominant? I am left handed, right eye dominant, so I shoot right handed.

Makes sense but you should be shooting with both eyes open with pistol, carbine, etc.

I know at one time people in here said they dont do much hunting. But I thought this would be the best place to ask. I want to hunt Wild Pigs sometime. Has anyone here done it and if so where do you recommend? I would prefer to do it at some ranch in probably Texas or Oklahoma, but Im open to other areas.

And if anyone is thinking about saying its barbaric or cruel. They are very much a nuisance and I would have all the meat cut up and brought back with me. They are very delicious and very similar to the pork you buy in a store.

I know at one time people in here said they dont do much hunting. But I thought this would be the best place to ask. I want to hunt Wild Pigs sometime. Has anyone here done it and if so where do you recommend? I would prefer to do it at some ranch in probably Texas or Oklahoma, but Im open to other areas.

And if anyone is thinking about saying its barbaric or cruel. They are very much a nuisance and I would have all the meat cut up and brought back with me. They are very delicious and very similar to the pork you buy in a store.

+1 on knowing the best spots to go. I have heard its big in South Carolina but I've also seen the videos of helicopter hog hunting, that would be awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

Silencer Co is offering a $200 credit on all of their products right now. Looks like I'll most likely be, beginning the process.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished my AR build and somehow ended with two... let me know what you guys think.

5.56 build

LOWER:

Anderson Lower w/ parts kit

Mil-Spec Buffer Tube Kit

Magpul CTR Stock

Magpul PMAG x3

Magpul MOE K2+ Pistol Grip

Magpul MOE Trigger Gaurd

Magpul ASAP Sling Attachment Point

UPPER:

BCM 16" Mid-Length Complete Upper

BCM Bolt Carrier Group

BCM Mod 4 Charging Handle

Magpul Mbus AFG Angled Fore Grip

Optic:

Vortex Spitfire 3x Prism Scope

5.56%20AR-15_zpsymnlhl6l.jpg

Secondary, quick build during 5.56 build. I needed something to shoot till she was done. :)

Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 Sport Magpul MOE SL (FDE)

Magpul goodies came stock

Magpul MBUS Folding Front and Rear Sights

Magpul MOE SL Stock

Magpul MOE SL Grip

Magpul M-LOK Type 2 Rail Covers

Optic:

Bushnell TRS-25 Red dot

.22%20LR%20AR-15_zpsrk0cp9hj.jpg

Soon to come:

Magpul MBUS Pro- Offset Flip-Up Sights for 5.56

Geissele SD3G Trigger for 5.56

Voodoo Tactical Padded 2 Gun Rifle Case

Finally finished my AR build and somehow ended with two... let me know what you guys think.

5.56 build

LOWER:

Anderson Lower w/ parts kit

Mil-Spec Buffer Tube Kit

Magpul CTR Stock

Magpul PMAG x3

Magpul MOE K2+ Pistol Grip

Magpul MOE Trigger Gaurd

Magpul ASAP Sling Attachment Point

UPPER:

BCM 16" Mid-Length Complete Upper

BCM Bolt Carrier Group

BCM Mod 4 Charging Handle

Magpul Mbus AFG Angled Fore Grip

Optic:

Vortex Spitfire 3x Prism Scope

5.56%20AR-15_zpsymnlhl6l.jpg

Secondary, quick build during 5.56 build. I needed something to shoot till she was done. :)

Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 Sport Magpul MOE SL (FDE)

Magpul goodies came stock

Magpul MBUS Folding Front and Rear Sights

Magpul MOE SL Stock

Magpul MOE SL Grip

Magpul M-LOK Type 2 Rail Covers

Optic:

Bushnell TRS-25 Red dot

.22%20LR%20AR-15_zpsrk0cp9hj.jpg

Soon to come:

Magpul MBUS Pro- Offset Flip-Up Sights for 5.56

Geissele SD3G Trigger for 5.56

Voodoo Tactical Padded 2 Gun Rifle Case

Nice! I have 3 builds underway back home and 1 complete right now. Let me know how the Bushnell holds up. I've always rocked EOTech or Primary Arms. I have Magpul back up on all my builds but not the pro version.

Silencer Co is offering a $200 credit on all of their products right now. Looks like I'll most likely be, beginning the process.

Good stuff! I have 3 lowers and 5 cans waiting for me at my dealer back home. Almost all my cans are AAC but I have a Huntertown Arms can and a Freedom Armory can (supporting the local guy). You are going to love it.